Rights of a TFCD photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm ok. So if the photos are passed to the model, it belongs to the model also? Co-rights? Otherwise, no rights for model?

Of course. It's TFCD. Even if I do processing, it's still her face on there and the shots were taken during the TFCD.

But it all depends. I'll usually ask the model if she just wants the raw shots or can wait for the processed shots.

i believe a fellow forumer has also stated that there is no need for model release forms in sgp?

is that true? legally speaking, a model release form is not required? Inherent rights to the photographs belong to the photographer? Model no rights?

i'm getting confused :)

Normally they don't forgot, it's after all their photos and they are often more eager to see it themselves. I always include a clause asking them if they want a CD instead, let me know before when.

I think it make lives easier for both parties, unless you want to see the model again (for various reason).

Not the case always. Twice i've models who never bothered to pick up their pics and are still with me, even after i reminded them.

is that true? legally speaking, a model release form is not required? Inherent rights to the photographs belong to the photographer? Model no rights?

i'm getting confused :)
MR is not for the photographers, is for the people/company who BUY and USE these images, so to protect their rear, will ask for a MR come with the images.

If you don't intend to sell the images, than can forget about getting MR, and in local, according to our Queen Counsel, so far nobody (models) able to find troubles on clients about MR thingy.

anyway, if you need legal advice, go proper channel, best is to pay and consult a lawyer, listen to people in Kopitam TKSS can, but you will not get some solid help.

Sorry, just noticed this thread..

That means a photographer shooting a model, even w/o the form, the full rights of the photo is with me?
I can send the photo in for competition too? :dunno:

Please enlighten me.
Thanks! :D

I used to place the photo folder in MSN then let them go download. Ever since the latest MSN 2009, they've removed the folder sharing option. Now have to do it online but troublesome.

That shared folder option is still available. Just drag the images which you want to share into the dialogue box.

I just upload a some selected images on my site and pass most the original (with processing) / scanned images to the model via sharing or cd.

MR and copyrights is TWO different issue, mind go and read my post #1 about the MR blar blar blar wiki?

for copyrights matter, please read the next post, taken from very reliable source..., definably not from kopitiam or school tuckshop.

Regarding local copyrights issue, many local photographers have miscoception, we do not follow the copyrights law of US..

I research the copyrights and ownerships issue on portrait photography, this is what I found

Ownership

Generally, the person who created the work (i.e. the author) owns the copyright in the work. However, there are exceptions to this general rule. Some exceptions are:

Employment: If the work is created by an employee pursuant to the terms of his employment, the employer owns the copyright in the work.

Special situation for newspaper/magazine/periodical employees: Where an employee of a newspaper, magazine or periodical creates a literary, dramatic or artistic work pursuant to the terms of his employment and for the purpose of publication in a newspaper, magazine or periodical, the proprietor of the newspaper, magazine or periodical owns the copyright in respect of publication in or reproduction for the purpose of publication in any newspaper, magazine or periodical. The employee owns the remaining rights that make up the copyright bundle of exclusive rights.
Commissioning: If a portrait/photograph/engraving is commissioned by another party, the commissioner owns the copyright in the work. If the portrait/photograph/engraving is required for a particular purpose, this purpose must be communicated to the commissioned party. While the commissioner is the copyright owner, the commissioned party has the right to stop others from doing any act comprised in the copyright, unless such act is done for the particular purpose for which the portrait/photograph/engraving is created.

For other types of commissioned works, ownership belongs to the commissioned party, unless the commissioner and commissioned party otherwise agree.

As mentioned in the introduction, the copyright owner may transfer his rights to another party or entity either partially or wholly.
taken from http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/Ownership+and+Rights.htm

and also this

1. Copyright Copyright at Work
I provide photography services. Do I own the copyright to the photos that I take for my clients? If I don't, is there any way that I can own the copyright? I want to showcase the best photos in my website and brochures.

In general, clients who pay for your services own the copyright to the photos taken. However, you have limited rights in that if the photos are required for any particular purpose (e.g. a corporate client wants glamour shots of the senior management, to use in its annual report), your clients should tell you and you are entitled to prevent the photos from being used for other purposes.

In practice, however, many photographers have their own terms of engagement with clients. The parties are free to have their own agreement, which automatically overrides the above default position. Thus, for example, you and your clients can mutually agree that you will own the copyright in the photos but that your clients can use the photos for certain purposes; or that your clients own the copyright but you have the license to reproduce the photos in your website and brochures.
In simple words, photographers does not own the copyrights of the photographs, from the moment we collect money from the our customers, unless both parties enter an agreement to supersede the default law. (see the print in blue above)

That shared folder option is still available. Just drag the images which you want to share into the dialogue box.

I just upload a some selected images on my site and pass most the original (with processing) / scanned images to the model via sharing or cd.

Hey long time no see! Last time the older MSN version 8 have this folder sharing option whereby i can just copy and paste the entire folder inside. This one also allows u to do the same?

Not the case always. Twice i've models who never bothered to pick up their pics and are still with me, even after i reminded them.

Personally I think if it is a TFCD shoot, and they never bother to pick up their photos (even after you reminded them) then it would be a little strange to me. :think:

For TFCD shoot if they say that they don't wish to download it from the internet (and have informed me beforehand), I am fine in burning a DVD for them. As I think it is part of my obligation.

Regarding local copyrights issue, many local photographers have miscoception, we do not follow the copyrights law of US..

I research the copyrights and ownerships issue on portrait photography, this is what I found

taken from http://www.ipos.gov.sg/leftNav/cop/Ownership+and+Rights.htm

and also this

In simple words, photographers does not own the copyrights of the photographs, from the moment we collect money from the our customers, unless both parties enter an agreement to supersede the default law. (see the print in blue above)

Thanks for the clarification bro. Appreciate your help!

Personally I think if it is a TFCD shoot, and they never bother to pick up their photos (even after you reminded them) then it would be a little strange to me. :think:

For TFCD shoot if they say that they don't wish to download it from the internet (and have informed me beforehand), I am fine in burning a DVD for them. As I think it is part of my obligation.

Yeah it's a little strange to me too but it's a fact and it happened.

Yeah it's a little strange to me too but it's a fact and it happened.

Then I think if it is a TFCD shoot, the PG have done his/her duty already. If the "model", don't wish to keep their photos, then there is nothing the PG can do too.

Then I think if it is a TFCD shoot, the PG have done his/her duty already. If the "model", don't wish to keep their photos, then there is nothing the PG can do too.

Yeah so nvm lah, i don't lose anything also. Only that they don't have their photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.