Ricoh GRD V (speculation cum wishlist)

I'm guessing they might follow Sigma DP series have two same cameras with different focal length. :( I hope to see it maintain 28mm and keep it small form.

I'm guessing they might follow Sigma DP series have two same cameras with different focal length. :( I hope to see it maintain 28mm and keep it small form.
I think they could use a 1" sensor + prime without increasing the body size.

Many have suggested a B/W only version also. In APS-C it would perform well I think.

Meatboy said:
Many have suggested a B/W only version also. In APS-C it would perform well I think.

I guess that's as likely as an IR only version. You can suggest everything but I think a B&W camera would carry a different name.

From realible source, GRD5 will be APSC sensor, but slightly bigger.
my speculation on the features : design and ergonomics remain 90% ; no AA filter ; VR ; 28mm at least f2.8 if not f1.9.

Last edited:
Looking at Nikon Coolpix A. 28mm on Apsc sensor. :)

wong_se said:
From realible source, GRD5 will be APSC sensor, but slightly bigger.
my speculation on the features : design and ergonomics remain 90% ; no AA filter ; VR ; 28mm at least f2.8 if not f1.9.

lol, obviously it will be 89%.

The Nikon A doesn't even look bigger than the GRDIV or MX-I.

Nikon Coolpix A : 111mm x 64mm x 40mm

Ricoh GRD IV : 108.6 mm x 59.8 mm x 32.5 mm

I'm so happy to see Nikon compact can squeeze APS-C sensor in a size close to Ricoh GRD IV. :)

But I'm going to miss the deep DOF with advantage of using f1.9. :(

damn excited for the grd5!!!

hope it's not as ex as 1100usd though....

sanfong said:
Nikon Coolpix A : 111mm x 64mm x 40mm

Ricoh GRD IV : 108.6 mm x 59.8 mm x 32.5 mm

I'm so happy to see Nikon compact can squeeze APS-C sensor in a size close to Ricoh GRD IV. :)

But I'm going to miss the deep DOF with advantage of using f1.9. :(

This may just mean GRD5 in its apsc ver can be this small!!! One can only hope.

damn excited for the grd5!!!

hope it's not as ex as 1100usd though....

Looking at the pricing trend for camera with APS-C are priced at around $1K or above.... hopefully Ricoh could make an exception... finger crossed...

I got to save some more to get their GH-3 and GW-3 (I named it myself for their next accessories hee... :bsmilie:)

Last edited:
I'm thinking if GRD V will have permanent protruding lens body like GXR A12 28mm module...

Anyway I hope it looks like this for the top except the protruding lens body.

RICOH_GZ1_01-590x392.jpg

New spec

The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
High ISO up to 25,600
1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format). (I'm surprised they are interested in video)
Built-in stereo mic.
The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
The US price will be around $800.
Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May, 2013.

The new Ricoh Digital GR camera to be announced next week (additional specifications available) | Photo Rumors

Last edited:
New spec

The new Ricoh GR will have a new processor called GR Engine 5.
Very fast and improved AF and start-up time.
No anti-aliasing (AA) filter.
High ISO up to 25,600
1080P at 30fps HD video recording capabilities with continuous AF (H.264 format). (I'm surprised they are interested in video)
Built-in stereo mic.
The 28mm f/2.8 lens is completely re-designed and will have a 9 blades aperture.
Ricoh will also offer a wide angle conversion lens (GW-3) with a 21mm focal length.
The new GR will be compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards.
The US price will be around $800.
Announcement is next week. Shipping should start in May, 2013.

The new Ricoh Digital GR camera to be announced next week (additional specifications available) | Photo Rumors

That doesn't sound like an APS-C compact anymore but I hope it will be APS-C.

[video=youtube;88LiM3RSVVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LiM3RSVVo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Is it this? :)

[video=youtube;88LiM3RSVVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88LiM3RSVVo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Is it this? :)

Thanks for the video. Looks like they do away the secondary again. Anyway, I'm getting excited now!! Be your eyes!!

I hope i can do some review on it soon. Wondering when is the launch date...

Last edited: