Ricoh GR

Ok. This is my quick test on the resolution and magnification of GR with my Raynox M-250.

First is the size of the setup:

GR + Raynox M250​

This is the magnification of the GR at its closest focus distance (working distance is about 10cm in front of the glass)

GR Closest focus distance​

GR with the Raynox M-250: working distance now is reduced to about 3-4cm in front of the glass

GR Closest focus distance with Raynox M-250​

For your reference this is the maximum 1:2 macro shot of GXR A12 50/2.5 Module:

GXR A12 50/2.5 Macro Module - Macro 1:2 shot

So the good thing is that the corner is not dark when using the Raynox 250 with GR and we could bring down the original magnification for GR from about 1:3.1 to about 1:2.5 or so. Also, the resolution as well as sharpness seem to be very good as well.

Hope it helps.

Thanks so much! this is very helpful indeed!

yes, of course i am not talking about > 1:1 extreme macro. i have my DSLR + macro lens set-up for that. the idea is to explore how the GH3 can be used to enhance the use of the GR.

this is a much more feasible setup to pack in a small suitcase when i am on work-trips. it is not practical to pack a DSLR + macro lens + ring flash into a cabin-sized luggage and carrying around a DSLR on a work trip can give co-workers / clients the wrong impression sometimes. :sweat:

What do I need to do bulb exposures for the GR? I have a cheap 3rd party remote for my Pentax K5. Is there something similar for the GR? Thanks!

What do I need to do bulb exposures for the GR? I have a cheap 3rd party remote for my Pentax K5. Is there something similar for the GR? Thanks!

I bought the cable switch, CA-2, but never use it as GR could be exposed up to 240seconds, so never had to use the cable for bulb mode.

You can get the Ricoh CA-2
ca2_u.jpg

I set the timer to take the shot after 2 sec. Good enough for eliminating shakes, 1 less thing to carry.

Hi.....what's the latest price for GR? thanks

guys just to check the membership for Rioch Gr still open? any red rings still available? hehe

Yes the membership is open. Red ring should be available, but no guarantee. It is first come first serve basis.

Yea. It says original mode enable to take pictures with ambient light quantities comparable to those of the GR film cameras.I'm also excited to test it! But it require full charged.i'm unable to upgrade now. :(

Yea. It says original mode enable to take pictures with ambient light quantities comparable to those of the GR film cameras.I'm also excited to test it! But it require full charged.i'm unable to upgrade now. :(

Upgraded, but could not understand or see any difference btw original and ambient

Finally batt is charged and updated it.

Comparing the original and normal ambient brightness. Original setting shows abit underexpose. This can confirm by comparing the histogram. This setting produce a different tone overall in the photo and has vignette. No wonder they described as comparable to GR film cameras. They reproduce the characteristic of the GR film cams. I will keep this setting and monitor.

Another new function for AFL Focus Setting is useful too. :)

Last edited:
I love my GR but I realize it has problem focusing at night even pretty bright nights. Anybody has this problem or it is my focusing technic is wrong? it will be a great help if the expert here can share some tip.0s. Thanks!

I love my GR but I realize it has problem focusing at night even pretty bright nights. Anybody has this problem or it is my focusing technic is wrong? it will be a great help if the expert here can share some tip.0s. Thanks!

Low light - the speed of focusing need some patience but can lock on. If AF assist light not on, may be in very low light slow and might not lock on.

Day light - fast focus and lock on, if you have difficulty focusing and lock on in day time, maybe you are shooting too near subject and need to turn on macro.

when its dark i often use snap mode.. fast and realiable

Finally batt is charged and updated it.

Comparing the original and normal ambient brightness. Original setting shows abit underexpose. This can confirm by comparing the histogram. This setting produce a different tone overall in the photo and has vignette. No wonder they described as comparable to GR film cameras. They reproduce the characteristic of the GR film cams. I will keep this setting and monitor.

Another new function for AFL Focus Setting is useful too. :)

Someone figured that it may have solved the underexposed red circles problem too... http://www.ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=11507