RF photo blogs

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
There has been a recent increase in the number of photo blogs posted in the RF and compact section. No doubt a function of the increase in the level of interest in RF cameras and lenses.

It is good that ppl move beyond just comparing gear and start celebrating how we view the world through RF. While you are eager to share your RF photos of the world, others are also interested to see how RF can capture the world around us. The inagural RFSG photo book was a start, and there is always the "Share Some RF Shots" sticky, but these photo blogs can help bring this apprecaition to the next level.

Hong Kong 2008, Leica M8, Summicron-M 35mm IV & Summicron-M 50mm

However, let me lay down some guidelines to these photo blogs in the "RF and Compact" section.

1) Celebrate RF - Why do you use RF? - tell us!! 35mm/MF/LF, film/digital, fixed/interchangeable lens, wide/normal/tele, pano/135/120, there is almost no end to the number of combinations you could use... so what do you have in your camera bag?
2) Share - There is a story behind every photo, and an even bigger story behind every series - travel, weddings, wayang, streets... doesn't matter.
3) Inspire - Most importantly, share your inspiration, and in so doing, inspire others.

Naturally, all photos in the blog should be captured using RF gear. I don't think that the above is too unreasonable, nor the benchmarks too unattainable. You need not be an "Artist" or "Master" to do this, but blogging does require some though and effort to put together - stringing together some story, weaving a theme, research a little. I do reserve the right to move any threads which does not "Celebrate RF" sufficiently to an appropriate Photo Gallery or merge them into the "Share Some RF Photos" thread.

Lastly, as this is the "RF and Compact" section, and not just RF, replace all "RF" with "Compact"... and the same applies.

This thread will be stickied and will link previously RF photo blogs here.

Last edited:
In Search of Old Beijing(寻找旧北京)- wongsan

寻找旧北京...

I bought a book ‘‘The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed’’ by Michael Meyer before my Beijing trip (End May/Early June 2010). The book "documents the city as it vanishes before his — and our — eyes. A former Peace Corps volunteer from Minnesota, now a writer and teacher of English, Meyer has made his home for the past two years in the hutong, the ‘‘lanes that lattice the heart of Beijing.’’ As the municipal government prepares to host the world (slogan: ‘‘New Beijing, Great Olympics’’), the hutong are being razed to make way for Range Rover showrooms, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Hooters."...

MP|M-Hexanon28F2.8|Kodak Trix400
M6LHSA|Zeiss C-Sonnar50F1.5|Fuji Reala100

Last edited:
My "Photojournalism" Take On Chinese Opera, 九皇爺 Festival - Royale With Cheese

The Nine Emperor Gods Festival (Chinese: 九皇爺; pinyin: Jiǔhuángyé; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Káu-ông-iâ; Cantonese: Kow Wong Yeh) is a nine-day Taoist celebration beginning on the eve of 9th lunar month of the Chinese calendar, which is observed primarily in Southeast Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand, and also the Riau Islands.

Chinese opera (Chinese: 戏曲/戲曲; Pinyin: xìqǔ) is a popular form of drama and musical theatre in China with roots going back as far as the third century CE. There are numerous regional branches of Chinese opera, of which the Beijing opera (Jingju) is one of the most notable.
I saw the stage being set up as I was on the way to work on the train in the morning, rushed down after work just to shoot all these!

It was a rewarding experience! At first, I was afraid that the performers would be unfriendly to photographers but instead, when I asked if I could take some pictures, they invited me up the back stage to capture all these lovely moments...

Hexar | Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM | Canon 35mm F2 LTM | Tri-X

Last edited:
Streets of Shanghai - meven

"Inspired" by last night's talks at PLATFORM, I have decided to put together a series of shots I took a while back in Shanghai.

These shots were mainly taken in the old quarters of Shanghai on the Puxi side of the city. Old buildings are a quickly disappearing sight in this fast growing and developing city. In these streets, you feel that time has stopped. There, people still cook outside, do their business in the streets, they still know each others and help each others whereas 200 metres away, on the other side of the Huangpu river you find yourself in the ultra high-tech business district of Pudong where deals are done and people from everywhere in the world work in air-conditioned offices. Shanghai is such an interesting and vibrant city full of contrasts and friendly people.

Leica M6TTL, Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 and Leica Summicron 35mm f2 ASPH

[URL="http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810896]
3684396182_6f5cbbef0b_z.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Italy Christmas 2010: a visual diary - dankwan

Rise & fall is what best, describes the country of Italy. It rose to become the centre of the ancient world only to fall, scant centuries later, under its own heaving weight, Italy rose again from the ashes of time to reinvent itself as the center of the catholic/christian world to this very day.

My family and I were blessed to be able to spend a few days in this historic country during what perhaps, is the most sacred time in Italy: Christmas, experiencing not only its capital city, Rome but also the renaissance city of Florence, the tuscan countryside hilltowns of Montefollinico, Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, San Antimo & Siena.

10 days out armed with 2 RFs and 3 lenses: a Leica M6, a Mamiya 7, the noctilux e60, the fujinon 35 f2 and a mamiya 43 f4.5

Last edited:
Hanoi, Vietnam, Winter of 2010

First time in Vietnam & I booked a direct flight to Hanoi. The main idea was to be there to shoot & attend a fellow RF-er's wedding in Hanoi.

I spend 5 days mostly alone in Hanoi. I had no prior planning on where I should be going or what I should be doing. Just booked a flight & the hotel & let the road take me for 5 days before I met up with Mai to head to Halong Bay.

I enjoyed shooting there, the only thing that allowed me to get to places & navigate would be my iPhone with the GPS & just one pirated copy of Lonely Planet, Vietnam sold along the streets in Hanoi.

Every morning before I got out of the hotel, read a couple of pages of Lonely Planet, Vietnam, routed the route on my iPhone & walked around for almost 4-5hours each day taking pictures & experiencing the local culture.

Most of the locals called me "dien" which meant "mad" in Vietnamnese as in the daily average of 15 degree celsius, I was only wearing T-shirts, berms. I got quite a fair bit of stares from all the locals as they were all wrapped up in their jackets etc.

The old quarter where I stayed in was an amazing place & that was the place where the wonderful street life takes place. From 5am-11pm, there was plenty to shoot all round.

I guess the only problem there would be communication as the Vietnamese people do not actually speak English well.

Cameras:
Leica M2
Konica Hexar RF

Lenses:
Canon 35mm F2 LTM
Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM

How i spent a Thursday morning at a Studio Shoot - raytoei

This was the first time I was hiring a model and quite excited and yet nervous. What to shoot ? What gear to bring ? What is the theme ? What is the process ? What lighting ? High-key, mid-key or low-key ?

I decided the process was going to be each camera roll would be a different pose or prop. And exhausting one round of camera rolls, we would take a break and think about the next session. In all, we did around 3 rounds of 120-format refresh among the 3 cameras. And about 5 rolls in total of the M4-P.

Equipment
- m4-p with 50 lux and 90 elmarit, fuji gw690ii medium format, hasselblad, and rolleiflex 3.5 t TLR
- film 120: formapan 400, 135: kodak plus-x 100

Kluang, M'sia Road Trip via KTM Rail

Took a weekend road trip down to Kluang, Malaysia with Thomas & Melvin to explore & shoot the area.

Our mode of transport was the KTM train, which would soon seize its operations in Singapore.

Caught the early morning trip which took about 2 hours plus to get to Kluang. It was actually my first time on the KTM train! The train was rather old, run down, dodgy looking but it is full of character, just like the Tanjong Pagar KTM station. They've got a certain rustic charm on them.

These are the pictures I took along the way on the train & while exploring the quiet sleepy down of Kluang.

Hopefully, I would be able to go all the way down to Penang via the KTM train before it closes!

Printed Publication, A Short Series

Printed Publication is something to do with our daily lives.

It contains news around the World, lifestyle pages, breakthrough designs, news of latest discoveries, jobs for people, obituaries, comic strips for kids etc. It is a one stop publication for all young & old to read & enjoy.

It is in every country, every state, and every street. It has penetrated deep into our lives to become a lifestyle for all.

The modest printed publications are used by some as propaganda for their political agendas, advertising by corporations with subliminal messaging for the consumer for a lifestyle product.

Through this printed matter on a shabby paper, one has the power to raise an angry mob, to create advertisements so powerful it leaves strong impressions on consumers, release news that would either let people leap for joy or break down in depression.

This is the Newspaper...... Have you read yours today?

Last edited:
Sultan Mosque, A Short Ongoing Series

The Sultan Mosque also known as Masjid Sultan is located at Kampong Glam just off the town area is one of the most prominent Mosque in Singapore. It is beautifully painted in gold on the outside & nicely decorated on the inside, especially the area where the main prayer hall is.

The Sultan Mosque is quite a tourist attraction as well, tourist from all different nationalities do visit the mosque.

I've decided to do a short ongoing series on the Sultan Mosque & the people in it. A short photo documentary to showcase this beautiful mosque & hopefully, to share with everyone the muslim faith through pictures so that we can better understand each other in our multi racial/religious society in Singapore.

These few pictures would be a start of a short documentary series that I intend to do down the next few months over a few short shooting sessions over the weekend.

Please do visit their webpage to get more info on the Sultan Mosque:
www.sultanmosque.org.sg

[Verticoastro] Nepal with XPAN and Rollei 35SE

Everest Base Camp Trek 5400m | Kathmandu, Nepal

Hasselblad XPAN - Hasselblad 45mm f4 | Rollei 35SE - Sonnar 40mm f2.8
Kodak Portra 160VC | Kodak TMAX 100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Rollei 35SE camera battery die on me while transit from Bangkok to Kathmandu. can't get that brand of battery and I have no choice but to shoot with this camera at fully mechanical mode without the light meter. luckily there's a f16 sunny rule guide which i remember and I make use of it to get estimated correct exposure of the film...

Vietnam 2011 - An 8-day journey through Hanoi, Sapa, and Halong Bay - sequitur

Took a 8-day journey through North Vietnam during the June holidays with my significant other and two Leica Ms - an M7 and an M6TTL, along with 3 lenses covering 28mm through 50mm. 27 rolls of film were prepared for this trip, the majority being Kodak's Ektar 100 and Portra 400 - some of the Portra 400 being the older "vivid color" version and some others being the newer "unbranded" version. The rest were some slides here and there that I never got around to using, except for a roll of E100VS that unfortunately had some exposure problems due to a sticky shutter problem on my M6TTL at 1/500 and 1/1000. At this time of writing the roll hasn't been scanned, but hopefully the images are salvageable.

Equipment: Leica M7, M6TTL, 28mm Elmarit ASPH, 50mm Summilux ASPH, Voigtlander 35mm Nokton F/1.4 SC.
Film: Kodak Ektar 100 (mostly) & Portra 400VC

5896811180_d2861a0f49.jpg

5896814882_59900a483a.jpg

[alantcs2010] - Fantastic Turkey

My wife wanted a holiday and she suggested that we go Turkey. I have no idea what Turkey is like. Someone told me that Turkey is a beautiful country and that's it. So we booked a 10days tour to Turkey and we start to fly on the 21st of October 2011. During the trip, we travelled from Istanbul - Canakkale - Kusadsi - Pamukkale - Cappadocia and back to Istanbul. We travelled half of Turkey for about six thousand kilometers.

I decided to carry light photography equipment as we need to walk a lot, so I brought along a Leica M9P with Voigtlander 15mm Heliar, Zeiss ZM 25mm Biogon and the Voigtlander 35mm Nokton Classic SC with me. I love to shoot my subjects up close in order to get the dynamic effects and the sense of emotions. I can get better results by using a rangefinder camera. The small dimensions of this camera make its very discreet, allowing illustrated reports without people's knowledge. I enjoyed using the rangefinder very much that I think I couldn't get any better by using other format cameras.

| Leica M9P | Voigtlander 15mm Heliar | Zeiss ZM 25mm Biogon | Voigtlander 35mm Nokton Classic SC |

Bali - A Travelogue - oliprolli

Bali. Indonesia's most popular holiday destination. Bali's natural attractions include miles of sandy beaches ), picturesque rice terraces, towering active volcanoes over 3,000 meters, high, fast flowing rivers, deep ravines, pristine crater lakes, sacred caves, and lush tropical forests full of exotic wildlife. I visited the wonderful island last weekend and would like to share some pictures with you guys.

Gear Used:
M6 with CV 35mm f.12 and 50mm Summilux v1, Xpan, Bessa-L with CV 15mm
Film Used: Ektar 100, Portra 400 VC, Tri-X

하루 하루 18.12.2011 – 27.12.2011 - wongsan

Our itinerary would take us to Yongpyong Resort for our first ski experience and, later, 5 days of shopping and eating in Seoul. Today, Seoul is considered to be a leading global city, ranking among the top ten global cities in the Global Cities Index of 2010. It is one of the world's top ten financial and commercial centers, home to major multinational conglomerates such as Samsung, LG and Hyundai-Kia. In 2008, Seoul was named the world's sixth most economically powerful city by Forbes.

I packed light for this trip…just the M9P with the 35mm Summilux ASPH V1 and the Ricoh GRD3. The M9P with the 35 Lux was hanging on my neck for hours during the Seoul walkabout.I’ve always complained that the 35 Lux ASPH is too big unlike the compact 35mm Summicron which I like very much. However, I’m glad that I brought the bigger Lux. The longer lens barrel of the 35 Lux allowed better maneuvering with the gloves on. The focusing tab was a god-send. The M9P with the Luigi case and the thumbs-up provided the necessary grip.

This is also the first trip with a digital M and without a film body. I would say I enjoyed the convenience of the M9P. I shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom V3. I converted some of the street shots to b&w.

Gears:
Leica M9P (Silver)
Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH V1 (Black)

Nepal - hookonclassic

A team of us when to Nepal to capture some wonderful culture and street scene...while I make this post now in Singapore...some of them still shooting in this beautiful, rich culture country...

To walk through the streets of Kathmandu means to get lost in the spidery maze of narrow alley ways. The narrow road are full of people in different colors, it was like chaotic parade. Everyone was busy, busy on their daily life. Lots of tourist. Rickshaw waiting for customer, sweepers trying to clean the mesh of rubbish dump, vehicles trying to squeeze through the crowd and we the team busy capturing the moments, the moment of rush.

| M9 | 35 Lux ASPH V1 | Leica standard | 15mm VC | 400 Tmax |

[Blackmafia] Winter in Hanoi...

A rather last minute trip and I would like to thank Phil, Jed91 and Jeemee for their suggestions! Appreciate all of you in taking time to help out! Initally had intended to go up to Sapa but missed the tix due to Tet...didnt turn out bad and I love Hanoi! For those who would like to visit the place, feel free to check with me and I will be more than willing to share whatever that I know.

| Leica M6 | Voigtlander15mm | Illford HP5+ pushed |
| Konica Hexar | Canon 35mm F2 | Illford HP5+ pushed |

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/rangefinders/1063595-only-india-oii-series-sunday-bangalore.html

I had the opportunity to visit Bangalore for work earlier this week. I seized the chance to spend one Sunday shooting the streets of Bangalore. This was my first trip to India and I was expecting Bangalore to be colorful and intense which will be great for streets.

One-camera-one-lens has been my recent setup for my last few trips. I do enjoy the simplicity and lightness of this approach. My choice for this trip is the M9P and the 28mm Summicron ASPH. This is the first time with my 28mm cron instead of my trusty 35mm. I figure that India will be crowded and chaotic and I want to capture that with a wider lens. The Indians are also well known to be willing models. Hence, the chances to get closer is high. Conclusion: I’m happy with the combo

GEAR: | Leica M9P | Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH |

6853840026_c3f8c53b81_z.jpg

6986340803_10401d43d2_z.jpg

My recent trip to North Korea in 30 pictures - raytoei

i am glad that out of the 1000 pix i took in the last 8 days, about 90+ of the photos are useable. Of the 90, I am showing the 30 pictures.

in terms of luggage etc, i wanted to travel light ie no check-in luggage, only one haversack. No laptop, 2 pairs of pants, 3 pair of shirts, socks and undies. One huge trenchcoat (never used!). Toiletries, one ultra small clip-on sack, Some books plus a box of cigars to make friends.

one lens, the summicron 50 and one body the M9P. I badly wanted to bring the M4 and film but decided not to risk the film being developed and screened by the DPRK and then not returning me the negatives. i brought the sf-20
flash but didn't use it.

there were 2 other hardcore photog with me, one with canon dslr while the other was using the nikon dslr with some very good zooms, eg, 10 -24mm and 24-200 (?) zooms. As for me, the 50mm was interesting, it forced me to think a lot more in terms of framing and composition. In terms of stealth, i shot a lot with the leica slung on one shoulder with the finger on the button while facing another direction and talking to the other travelers.

| M9P | Summicron-M 50 |