Revive vintage rangefinder accesories with X100

catohcat

Oct 23, 2006
Clementi
Been using X100 for more than a year, I found out that the camera's vintage design fits very well with all accessories from the age of Rangefinder cameras. In term of functionality, they probably can't match nowadays cameras. However for aesthetic or "tuning" purpose, the vintage pieces look truly standing out by the side of current line of cameras from Fujifilm ( X100, X10. X1-pro,..) Usually each piece comes with a story of it own thus I also found my self a new hobby collecting them.

This thread is to share what I'm having in my collection and future found. If you have any interesting accessories, please feel free to share, too :D

Voigtlander Kontur 50mm.
This is a very unusual finder, and one of my favorites. It is an ingenious (and very small) finder. It uses a high-powered positive lens to focus your nondominant eye on a brightline mask. The idea is that you look through it with the right eye, and keep the left eye open. The finder itself shows the frameline for 50mm, instead of the image! I know it sounds strange, but our brain puts the images together when one eye sees the image and the other sees the frameline. This finder will show you virtually unlimited peripheral vision! It's really too bad other manufacturers did not follow this idea. See it and try it, you might love it like I do. Nevertheless, this is a unique finder which can do good things for your shooting technique, well worth looking for.
Kontur-50mm.jpg

Voigtlander Turnit (Original 35/100mm)
The same person at Voigtlander who figured out that you could use an optical illustion to project framelines into a user's stereo vision also realized that the magnification of a 35mm finder is roughly the reciprocal of a 100mm finder. The result is the Turnit, which can be rotated 180 degrees to be either a passable 35mm finder or a decent 100mm finder.
Turnit.jpg

Argus 35/50/100 Turret Viewfinder
A rare piece of the infamous turret viewfinder from Argus which is even harder to find than its Leica & Russian Kiev variants. The view finder offers 3 focal length of 35mm/50mm/100mm by simply rotate the mounting to the desired focal length. Parallax compensation is also combined in the rotating frameline mount.
Argus.jpg

Leica 35-135 Imarect/ VIOOH (1940-1964)
This timeless piece looks cute and is a great improvement on the VIDOM because it has two prisms, so things are laterally correct. This makes it much easier to use. Both the VIDOM and Imarect/VIOOH are parallax compensating (manually). Like its older sibling, the Imarect is also a cropping finder. You can't see outside the framelines ('cuz it's a crop), which is one of the beauties of the Leica system.
Wetz.jpg

*Credits: some of the descriptions are taken from the web.

Walz Vintage auxiliary RangeFinder
This accessory clipped into the camera flash-shoe and allowed you to determine the distance to the subject. A great way to practice your manual focus skills. In situations that my X100 simply refuses lock on AF =.=" , these Range Finders saved me lots of efforts.
Waltz.jpg

Telex Vintage auxiliary RangeFinder
The German made Telex comes with very bold design that really make my X100 solid like a tank! One of my favorite accessory.
Telex.jpg

Medis Vintage auxiliary RangeFinder
This Medis makes my X100 look like an alien ship lolz.
Medis.jpg

Vintage KOPIL SELF TIMER Model II
One of my very much surprise about X100 is that it actually can be used with the old winding self-timer! Simple screw the self-timer into the shutter button, turn the knob and you are back to the good old days. The winding sound makes me feel really privileged. Compared with the camera's self-timer function, the whole process handling this self-timer felt like a French fine dinning vs a big Mac fast food. :bsmilie:
Kopil.jpg

Last edited:
are those viewfinder yours? pretty wide range of collection you have. love the Voigtlander Kontur 50mm, look good on x10 too. hah. any idea of the price? :)

Wow, very nice, I often browse ebay for the VF, but all very ex to me.

I like the self-timer gadget, cool.

@NDividualistic: yup I'm collecting them but this is only a very small potion of the huge list of vintage viewfinders. I am still search for them :D. The Kontur 50mm I got it sometime back from a store in Peninsula Plaza, for about 15 red notes if i'm not wrong.

@cichlid: thanks. I often look in ebay too but I usually find these VF from old camera stores in singapore or oversea. I rarely buy such things from ebay due to shipping as well as I cant examine their condition.

:bigeyes:WOW! Thank for sharing bro! :thumbsup:

:bigeyes: ... some of these I haven't even seen before. Thanks for sharing.

hi anyone got any suggestion where to get a cheap 35mm viewfinder ?something like SBLOO ?

hi anyone got any suggestion where to get a cheap 35mm viewfinder ?something like SBLOO ?

The SBLOO by all means is not really cheap at all since it's price in ebay is always about $300+

Wow didn't know they had aux range finders !

So lining them up will provide you with the distance to the subject ?
Really great for zone focusing !