Revised Thread: Methods of Custom White Balance for different brand of digicam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teerex

Mar 10, 2003
Singapore
I have revised the original thread of Methods of setting Custom White Balance for various cameras to a new thread.

Would like to confine this thread to listing of methods of setting CWBs.

Please keep this thread clean solely for this purpose. Post discussions in the Sub-Forum

Thanks for cooperation

teerex

As posted by Max2.8 on 18-02-2005, 12:06 AM

CWB for Olympus 5050z
Screw on the IR filter(R72 or your preference) onto your lens before starting.

1. Press the "OK" button beside the LCD screen on the digicam to get the Main Menu on the LCD.
2. Select "MODE MENU", in Mode Menu select "PICTURE" and go to "WB".
3. Select the last option which looks like the ICON for CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE, its a rectangle floating above 2 facing triangle
4.Point at any brightly lit greens(leafs, grass etc) or the blue sky, try to cover the whole frame with the green area or blue area. Press the "OK" button.

DONE! Now shoot what you like. ENJOY!!!!!

As posted by Max2.8 on 18-02-2005, 12:32 AM

CWB for Canon EOS 300D, this one is easy
Screw on the IR filter(R72 or your preference) onto your lens before starting.

1. Make sure your White Balance is on Auto (AWB)
2. Point at some brightly lit green leaves or grass or the blue sky.
3. Take a picture!
4. Select MENU.
5. In Menu, under the "CAMERA" Icon, select "CUSTOM WB".
6. In "CUSTOM WB", Select that image of green leaves/grass or blue sky you
just took. Press "SET"
7. Now select your White Balance Selection and select the ICON for "CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE" which is that "rectangle floating above 2 triangle" icon.

DONE! Now shoot what you like. ENJOY!!!!!

As posted by teerex on 18-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Setting CWB for Nikon D70
Procedure is the same for D50 and D70s

1. Camera set to "P" mode. Fit filter (R72) onto lens. Zoom to max, on the kit lens or any lens you may use. This ensures colour reference for CWB will fill up the frame.
2. Press WB button at back of camera and turn command dial to change WB to "PRE". View this on the top LCD.
3. Press and hold WB button at back of camera. You will notice "PRE" flashing at top LCD.
4. Point camera at a bright sunlit patch of grass, press shutter as in taking a shot. Make sure you fill the whole view frame with the patch of grass.
5. If CWB is recorded in the camera's buffer, "GOOD" will show at the top LCD.
6. You're done. CWB is set for IR shooting.
There is a timer in the camera when "PRE" stops flashing in step 3. Repeat the step again by pressing and holding the WB button to get "PRE" flashing again.
So everytime you want to shoot IR, just change your WB to PRE. Once set the CWB can be used indefinitely, unless you find the colors strange and want to reset it.

As posted by Ark19 on 19-02-2005, 01:12 AM

Setting CWB for Canon A80

1. Remove the Bayonet Ring and fix on the tube adapter.
2. Screw on the IR filter.
3. Sw on camera and set to P mode.
4. Press the flash button until u see the no flash sign.
5. Press Func, press cursor down to select the WB mode (2nd from the top).
6. Select the last mode,the screen will display "Set" Evaluate White Balance.
7. Point camera at a sunlit patch of grass or the sky, ensure the grass or sky completely fills the screen. Press the Set key. The camera will take a photo of the scene.
8. That's it

One thing good abt A80 is that you can save ur settings in the C1 or C2 mode.
Would be useful to set the timer on and set the custom setting to use the CWB for shooting IR

As posted by Ark19 on 19-02-2005, 01:28 AM

Setting CWB for FujiFilm S602Z

1. Fix on the tube adapter.
2. Screw on the IR filter.
3. Sw on camera and set to P mode.
4. Press Menu/OK button, and use left/right cursor to select White Balance.
5. Move Cursor up/down and select either custom 1 or 2 (custom 1 is right above Auto).
6. Press Menu/OK button, screen will display 3 options. Point camera at a sunlit patch of grass or the sky, ensure the grass or sky completly fills the screen. Press the Shutter button.
7. The screen will display Completed if successful.
8. That's it

As posted by PhotoExpress on 06-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Setting Custome White Balance (Preset) for Nikon D100

1. Fix the IR filter onto your lens.
2. On your camera, press Menu and select Shooting Menu.
3. Scroll down to White Balance and press the multi-selector to the right.
4. Press the multi-selectior up or down to highlight WB Preset and press the multi-selector to the right.
5. Highlight Exposure Mode and press the multi-selector to the right.
6. Choose the exposure mode you will use when measuring for white balance (i.e. P, S, A, M), press the multi-selector to the right.
7. Highlight Done and press the multi-selector to the right to return to the Shooting Menu.
8. Measuring Preset White Balance together with the IR filter.
9. Set the function dial to WB and rotate the main command dial until PRE appears.
10. Rotate the sub-command dial. A flashing Pre will appear.
11. Point camera (with the IR filter on) at a bright patch of grass and press the shutter-release button down.
12. It will flash "Good" for 2 seconds if the camera is able to measure a value for white balance.
13. Set the function dial to P, S, A or M (the option you have choosen in Preset WB).
14. Your camera will be ready to take IR picture using the Preset White Balance.

Note: D100 allows you to have individual Preset WB for P, S, A & M.

Enjoy shooting !

As posted by Rashkae on 30-11-2005, 01:38 PM

Setting Custom White balance on the Sony V1 and H1:

1. Attach the IR filter (in my case, 58mm Hoya R72). For Sony V1, you need to use the step-up tube, for the H1, use the supplied lens hood.
2. Select any of the manual modes on the camera. I normally use "M".
3. If you can't spot any bright sources of IR in the viewfinder, try increasing your ISO to 400 and set the exposure time to 5-10 seconds until you get a nice bright patch.
4. Point the camera at the bright patch so that the bright patch is in the AF box on the viewfinder (the bigger the patch the better), then press: Menu
5. Using the < > buttons, scroll to the WB setting, then scroll up until you see the custom white balance icon. Press ^ to set the WB. If the Custom white balance icon is NOT flashing, then the WB was set correctly.
6. Press Menu again to exit

Setting Custom White Balance (Preset) for Canon 20D.

1. Fix the IR filter onto your lens.
2. Take the shot with the filter on AWB (Try initial setting of ISO 1600, 2s F4~5.6)
3. With the shot, you should get a reddish image.
4. Press Menu -> Custom WB.
5. Using the scroll dial, select the photos that you just took. Press set to accept image.
6. Screen will show [Set WB to "Custom WB"]
7. Press the AF.WB button (button is located above the LED screen).
8. Using the scroll dial, select CWB (it is the 3rd icon on the left).
9. You are ready to take your first IR images.

Capturing a shot.
1. unscrew filter from lens.
2. Compose your shots. (you will need a tripod for sure!!)
3. screw filter back.
4. Try initial setting of ISO 100, f8, 30s.
5. Half press the shutter button. it is able to AF.
6. Capture your first IR shot!!

Enjoy shooting !

Setting CWB on the D200 for IR Photography.

Special thanks to jc1 for posting his experiences with IR on the D200.

ORIGINAL THREAD HERE

Extracted the Setting CWB portion to post here for easy reference.

Thanks jc1.

D200 WB for IR

Determine the WB preset
1) Attach IR filter to lens, Select RAW format, Auto WB, Manual exposure. AE will not work.
You may like to start with ISO400, f/5.6, 10 sec, and determine the correct exposure by observing the highlight on the LCD screen.
2) Transfer the raw file to the computer. Open the file with NC version 4.4 or higher version.
3) In NC4.4, under tool palette 2, there are 2 parameters under White Balance, namely, set color temperature and set gray point
..a) Under set color temperature select “set gray point”
..b) Under “set gray point”, choose “use a single point”, click “start” and drag the cursor to the picture area, point appropriately (can use leaf as reference point) and click.
.. c) Click on the D-lighting in tool palette 1 to enhance the brightness and contrast, if necessary.

WB of the the following pic was determined using "set to gray point"

4) Save the edited raw file. Do not quit NC4.

Transfer WB preset to D200
1) Refer to D200 manual page 107. USB has 2 options, Mass Storage and PTP.
On D200, select PTP for USB option.
2) Connect USB cable from computer to D200 USB port.
3) Refer to D200 manual page 39-41.
On NC4.4, under the pull down menu, Settings/white Balance/Writing to camera…
follows accordingly the assisted instruction to transfer the WB preset to D200.

Your D200 is now IR ready.

Setting CWB for D200

Deadpixel has succefully found the method to set CWB for the D200 to shoot IR. I have extracted it from his original thread and posted it here for easy reference. THE ORIGINAL THREAD IS HERE

Special thanks to Deadpixel for sharing.

Prior to getting my D200 and several weeks after I got it, I'd been reading several posts from D200 users that it was not possible to do a Custom White Balance (CWB) through regular methods. I believed this and even contributed to the misinformation too. This is a link to the current method of setting an IR CWB on the D200:

Current method for setting CWB on D200

White Balancing is the process of removing incorrect color casts from your photos so that an object you know to be white will appear white in the photo. With digital infrared photography, this process is used to get the camera to recognise green foliage as white when the scene is shot through the infrared pass filter.

One important requisite for a good white balance measurement is an image that is properly exposed. This means that if an image requires 1/2 a second of exposure to be properly lighted up, we would need to let the white balance function measure the scene for 1/2 a second.

The reason I'm writing this first part is because I've asked, in a couple of other posts here and elsewhere, whether anyone had ever tried doing a CWB with a shutter speed matching what would normally be required for an IR photo on the D200, that is, 5-15 seconds on ISO100. Since no one has replied positively, I finally got off my butt and did a few simple test on the D200 to measure some IR CWB.

I conducted two test over two days. The first was done yesterday at 2pm under modrately cloudy/overcast conditions. I set the D200 to ISO400, switched to 'M' mode, set the lens' aperture to f/2.8 and the shutter speed to 13 seconds, screwed on the IRP filter, switched on the CWB measuring, pointed on a patch of grass (not too well lit) and pressed the shutter release. When it was complete, the top LCD showed "Good"... I then fired of a couple of test shots, completely blur, cause I did them handheld, but definitely IR "coloring".

The second test was done at 12:55pm today, in modrately bright settings with the sky being a little cloudy/hazy. I set the D200 to ISO100, switched it to 'M' mode, set the lens' aperture to f/3.5 and the shutter speed to 8 seconds. I then screwed the IRP filter on the lens, switched on the CWB measurement, pointed at a brightly sun-lit patch of grass, crossed my fingers and pressed the shutter release. 8 seconds later the top LCD showed "Good". This time around, I saw a power box and used it as a platform for a test shoot; here's the outcome:

D200, 17mm, f/3.2 @ 8sec with a/b inversion done in CS2

It isn't tack sharp cause the camera wasn't sitting on a proper tripod. Still, the image is unmistakably IR.

D200 owners...hope this helps make your CWB setting a little easier.

Please note that CWB readings taken of different types of grass/leaves at different times of the day will show different results.

Cheers,
Matt

SETTING CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE FOR THE Lumix DMC-FZ50

Thanks to Little_Fish for his contribution on the Setting of CWB and shooting of IR with the Lumix DMC-FZ50

Here's his write-up

How to do WB for the FZ50.
Okay basically, you can switch to the [M] mode on the dail or [Custom]. (Oh attach your IR filter first yah? )
If u are using the [M] mode, press the [Set/Menu] button.
at the camera setup, select (White balance), scroll to (Set).
Press (Set).
An option screen will appear asking WHITE SET 1 or WHITE SET 2.
So either one will be fine.
So select WHITE SET 1
then your LCD will display the scene you are looking at.
Aim your camera at the sky or green grass.
Then press (Set). The camera will now reccord the WB u set it to.
Then you are more or less ready to take your Pics.
To change to the WB u have cailbrated for IR shots,
Press the [Function] button, scroll to the WB option, select WB Set 1 or WB Set 2 (where u store your IR WB)
then u are good to go to take your pics. yup.

Once u have store your IR calibration into the WB set 1 or 2, it is stored there till u want to use it. Just switch to the Set u stored it in. Hope this helps. hee
Just adjust your ISO,F stops, and Shutter time.
I used ISO 100, F2.8 and Shutter time of 5. NR- Low, Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation - STD.
Things u need, Hoya R72. (I'm using a 67mm with step up rings). Tripod (which i didnt bring.) Or if you can find something to hold u steady. So yup. Guess thats it.

Thanks to FZ5owner for sharing his setting of CWB for the Nikon D80

AS POSTED BY FZ5OWNER. SETTING CWB FOR D80

Bros,
Just wanna help clear some worries on WB for D80. Attached link to some shots taken yesterday with for the first time. WB was set at the time before the shots.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=276648

WB Setting. - D80 with 55-200mm F4-F5.6 kit lens.

1. set dial to manual mode.
2. aperture F5.6, shuttle 15", ISO800, EV +5.00
3. mount on tripod, with R72 on the len
3. press & hold WB button till "PRE" apprear
4. take a shot(focus on green leaves with sunlight shinning). if "No Good" appear, repeat set 3, until the "GOOD" appear(u r really to shoot IR)

The above are the setting I did for WB preset and all shots will taken with the same aperture & shuttle speed.

will be doing some tests to the aperture & shuttle settings soon. 15 secs is abit to long.....kekekeke

stay tune..............cheers

SETTING CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE FOR NIKON D40x
Thanks to Darkit for his contribution of this method.

Hi all, a lot of people has problem setting IR custom WB for nikon D40 camera. I manage to set the white balance on my camera (Nikon D40x) and hope the method will work for D40 too.

The method is as below.

1. Set the ISO to 800 or 1600
2. Set the aperture to the smallest possible value (eg. 2.8 or 3.5, depend on the type of len use)
3. Set the shutter speed to 8s or more (I use 15s)
4.Put on the IR filter on the camera
5. Select the custom white balance mode
6. Point it at a bright green patch of grass under strong sunlight
7. Press the shutter button and hold the camera until white balance is set (It would be better to set the camera on a tripod as holding it for 15s is not easy, I use handheld as I do not have a tripod with me when setting the WB)

*Remarks, Taking IR photo using Nikon D40x need an extremely long explosure time, it's better to set up the camera on a tripod white taking photos

SETTING CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE FOR PENTAX K100D AND K10D

Thanks to Night86mare for sharing this.

for k100d:
1) using a tripod, fill your frame with green grass/foliage/leaves in strong sunlight
2) put the r72 filter on
3) switch to manual mode, use the largest aperture available, and set shutter speed such that if you were to take a picture, it would be overexposed by about 3 stops (+3.0) in the in-cam metering
4) set custom wb thereafter
5) if it does not work, switch to iso 400 and repeat steps 3 to 4

for k10d:
same as above, but you might have to overexpose as much as 10 stops thereabouts - if you are not sure, just keep taking trial shots until you get a "properly exposed" picture based on the preview histogram

SETTING CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE FOR NIKON D40 AND D40X

Thanks to Victor aka darkit for sharing his CWB method.

Hi all, a lot of people has problem setting IR custom WB for nikon D40 camera. I manage to set the white balance on my camera (Nikon D40x) and hope the method will work for D40 too.

The method is as below.

1. Set the ISO to 800 or 1600
2. Set the aperture to the smallest possible value (eg. 2.8 or 3.5, depend on the type of len use)
3. Set the shutter speed to 8s or more (I use 15s)
4.Put on the IR filter on the camera
5. Select the custom white balance mode
6. Point it at a bright green patch of grass under strong sunlight
7. Press the shutter button and hold the camera until white balance is set (It would be better to set the camera on a tripod as holding it for 15s is not easy, I use handheld as I do not have a tripod with me when setting the WB)

I include 3 of the photos for reference. Normal photo, IR photo with WB set before any processing, IR photo after post processing. For Nikon D40 user, please test out if the setting work for that camera model too.

*Remarks, Taking IR photo using Nikon D40x need an extremely long explosure time, it's better to set up the camera on a tripod white taking photos

Status
Not open for further replies.