Review on the Deletion of Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do not misunderstand my earlier FAQ poser. I am not calling for a removal of moderative powers to delete posts or threads.

I have no objection nor problem with moderators or administrators determining in accordance with their own criteria or discretion; which posts need to be removed or deleted. Indeed, these are the roles which moderators play in a forum.

What I was referring to and raising the issue on is the deletion of threads by ordinary members; the act of which also results in the deletion of posts made by OTHER members.

I hope this clarifies and you could review the position again :)

Thanks!
Vince123123
we do undelete threads if we feel there are points to be noted within the TS deleted threads.

but if the whole thread is garbage, it should remain out of sight.

Yes yes!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

*almost tearing hair out in frustration hahah!*

btw i believe that this is about TS deleting their own threads
and not by mods

mods will delete when necessary

I understand, but I think it would not be operatively expedient to have to request mods to undelete threads all the time, as an additional step; when there is, in my view (as stated in the first post) no good reason, on a balance of considerations, to give the right to one person (the TS, an ordinary member) to delete his whole thread which contains the replies of others.

Which is why a call for a review on this by the mod/admin team.

we do undelete threads if we feel there are points to be noted within the TS deleted threads.

haha.. dun tear ur hair out. ur hair so long liao very hard to grow back..

but like i said, if there are good stuff in the deleted thread, we'll revive it or even re-open it for more discussion.

Hahha, I said "almost" :p

Anyway, I understand the current position; I'm hoping for a review on the default position otherwise the mods will be very busy trying to spot deleted threads and THEN doing a further review on whether to restore or not.

Why not simply remove the rights to delete? Is there any good reason to allow deletion of threads and associated posts by others?

haha.. dun tear ur hair out. ur hair so long liao very hard to grow back..

but like i said, if there are good stuff in the deleted thread, we'll revive it or even re-open it for more discussion.

Deleting a thread, as opposed to just a post, should be a responsibility of and function limited to the Mods/Admins.

If deleting the first post will delete the thread, then, maybe, if technically possible, a thread starter may not delete the first post.

Subsequent posts (and especially quotes) should be left untouched, else the whole thread will be meaningless..

So the privilege of undoing/covering up acts is only limited to the TS's own post.

true, but essence gone...

besides that, if someone else quote the 1st post, then subsequent post to be edited?

Some suggestions/questions..

Suggestions
1. Would it be better to remove the thread delete function by TS? If TS feels a need to delete a thread, they can request to the mods. The mod can reject the request if thread deletion is not justified (good stuff inside ;p). If the mods deleted the thread, then we got to respect the mod's decision. In this case, it implies that the mod agree that it is garbage, so the TS should get some form of penalty for posting garbage on CS after a successful application to delete a thread. Afterall, it created extra workload for the mods.

2. Once the thread is deleted, there could be a log of the deleted threads (only thread title), so that users is aware that a thread is deleted instead of wondering where did the thread go. The log could also indicate whether thread is TS initiated deleted or mod deleted.

Questions
1. Once the thread is deleted (out of sight), how do other members request for revival?

2. What is the mod's stand on the 2 thread mentioned in http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540563 ?
Any good points inside to justify undelete?

I think the suggested workflow by Limsgp is worth considering.

Some suggestions/questions..

Suggestions
1. Would it be better to remove the thread delete function by TS? If TS feels a need to delete a thread, they can request to the mods. The mod can reject the request if thread deletion is not justified (good stuff inside ;p). If the mods deleted the thread, then we got to respect the mod's decision. In this case, it implies that the mod agree that it is garbage, so the TS should get some form of penalty for posting garbage on CS after a successful application to delete a thread. Afterall, it created extra workload for the mods.

2. Once the thread is deleted, there could be a log of the deleted threads (only thread title), so that users is aware that a thread is deleted instead of wondering where did the thread go. The log could also indicate whether thread is TS initiated deleted or mod deleted.

I am on CS long enough to see enough silly threads and posts so I suggest/agree the following:
1. TS should not be able to delete the whole thread, this should remain with the mods.
2. Deletion of posts should remain with poster/cs members so they make rectify "mistakes" (except BUY/SELL posts) or inappropriate comments

In that case, we will need to replace deletion of posts to editing of posts; because under vBulletin, giving the power to delete posts gives the same power to delete threads. Deletion of the first post is construed as deletion of the entire thread by VB.

I am on CS long enough to see enough silly threads and posts so I suggest/agree the following:
1. TS should not be able to delete the whole thread, this should remain with the mods.
2. Deletion of posts should remain with poster/cs members so they make rectify "mistakes" (except BUY/SELL posts) or inappropriate comments

Status
Not open for further replies.