Review of Canon G1X by a hobbyist

Some quick test using G1X + raynox 250 at my place's park. (with around 30% cropping)

7101569087_578182baa0_z.jpg

7101569291_97afa71b09_z.jpg

Settings: ISO 640 (to get 1/200+ shutter under shade) at f8 or f11 (forgot)

Apologies if the shots aren't that good because I am not really into macro but personally I am quite pleased with the results. All shot using handheld. The only feature that's a little annoying is the camera trying to af on its own in live view while I am trying to adjust the focusing by moving my hands to adjust the distance before half pressing shutter so sometimes what the camera doing is trying to go against my focusing.

Last edited:
Other Features (3)

If you notice the main dial of G1X, it is set in the middle of nowhere between C2 and movie mode. It shows that you can keep turning the dial 360 degrees. This is better than 500D's dial because for 500D if you reach one end of the modes you have to reverse the dial to reach the other end. This problem is eliminated for G1X where by if I want to go from C2 to movie I just need to continue to turn anticlockwise instead of going one big round in clockwise direction.

Also note that there are less auto modes than entry level Canon DSLRs. There's only 'P' and 'Full AUTO' modes, with additional of HDR mode. There are no 'special' other auto modes such as 'SPORTS','PORTRAITS','LANDSCAPE','CREATIVE' modes that can be found in models such as 500D. Instead we have two custom modes C1 and C2. It shows that this camera is not designed solely for newbies who may rely on these modes, but designed for serious amateurs and beyond.

Correction here, all the 'SPORTS','PORTRAITS','LANDSCAPE','CREATIVE' modes can be found if you turn the mode dial to "SCN" and then press the "FUNC/SET" button.

Thanks for clarification...I must have missed that because I don't use SCN mode at all.

great write up!! The ISO performance is amazing:bigeyes:

To the reviewer, thank you for the extensive write up. I am still deciding on whether to get the G1X or the G12 being the lens cover as the major upset (as I hate losing the cap thingy)...but from your review, the images churned from the G1X had sold me out on it. I'm definitely getting it soon. Thanx dude.

Not sure but maybe you can find those "auto close" lens cover for G1X? Thanks for reading and appreciating my review, hope you enjoy it once you get it and share your sample pictures here.

a very comprehensive review :D!! i wonder how will it do underwater.

Eh.... i doubt I will do a review underwater since I do not have any casing etc. Anyone who goes diving etc with G1X feel free to add on to it.

Eh.... i doubt I will do a review underwater since I do not have any casing etc. Anyone who goes diving etc with G1X feel free to add on to it.
Nice review, this is a nice sized camera. If I was into underwater photography, the G1X and waterproof case I think would be the optimum setup for the price.

Shall update with more test shots I did recently. Mainly focused on low light situation whereby the strength and weakness are being shown at the same time. Photos slightly pp-ed using DPP to adjust colour balance, brightness and slight sharpening.

iso800 f3.5 1/13 28mm
8020038604_fc75a49004_z.jpg

iso1600 f5.8 -1/3 EV 1/100 112mm
8020022948_2591125851_z.jpg

8020028973_d58c652150_z.jpg

The image is quite clean at iso1600 which is the strength of this camera ( sensor ) to cope with narrow aperture especially at the telephoto end. However as shown in the 2nd photo, because of the small aperture I have to bump up the iso , lower EV to try to get a faster shutter speed to capture movement (even 1/100 is not enough for a hand wave). It is a big challenge to capture movement under low light situation.

So if you are only looking at shooting static objects in low light G1X is great, otherwise you might want to opt for a body with faster lens, such as s100/s110 or the new G15.

Have more low light photo sample which I will share soon.

ISO 3200 f4.5 1/15

8022915827_f1453450e1_z.jpg

At ISO3200 the noise and grain are more obvious, some details are smudged perhaps by noise reduction (e.g. eyebrows). At this ISO I would not expect a clean image like the full frame dslrs but it is still usable for simple web uploads.

Last edited: