Review : Octavarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamtheatre

Aug 20, 2004
Serangoon Nth
Hi,

I'd like to get an opinion from you guys on this? I got it quite late - just last week but have been listening to it 3 times a day since last Friday.

To start the ball rolling , here's my take:

- Technically impecable as usual. Best-In-Class. I feel this is the best vocal performance of all their albums. Really can hear the raw and suttle vocal techniques.
The drums are more natural but thistime, the kick drums seems to be souped up more during the mix. Also, I wonder if it was a delibrae to over-compress the album during mastering - very heavy breathing - yeah, if you blast it, it really sounds shiok bu I just feel they could have eased up a little on the compression/limiting.

- Artistically - They are running out of ideas and are ripping themselves off - the riff on Root of All Evil - tell me that doesn;t sound a little like Burning My Soul. And the intro to Octavarium- Pink Floyd anyone?

- Emotionally : Still a kik-as album - considering the bulk of 'music' is out there. Solos are lessers and not so much WOW factor but the songs are quite strong - even though it is 'homage' to lotsa other stuffs.

- Most Kik As Song - Panic Attack ( sounds like the musig JP did for Final Fantasy )

I think they peaked at Metropolis II. But hey, it is still lightyears ahead of most 'bands' out there right now.

DT :)

Hey, I'm hooked on this album! My favourite tracks: These Walls, Sacrificed Sons and of course the best track of all, Octavarium! I've been listening almost everyday since I bought it a week after the launch. Heard Labrie under went some singing lessons and thats why he had improved his singing so much in this album. :think:

heavy metal....
not for weak heart...:sweat:

Well, he was training under an opera voice coach during the Awake period.

When I saw Octavarium is 24mins, I was so happy. But after listening to it, felt a little 'short-changed'. It iIS good, just thought it woudl be something like Change of Season.

Well, anyway, This will be in my CD player for at least another 2 weeks.

I am trying to edit songs from Metropolis II to this one on my digital edtitor. Imagine a continuous montage , 74 minutes long :)

DT:)

I just got mine too!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :heart:

dreamtheatre said:
I think they peaked at Metropolis II. But hey, it is still lightyears ahead of most 'bands' out there right now.

DT :)

Fully agreed... SFAM was arguablely their best offering so far...

icarus said:
Fully agreed... SFAM was arguablely their best offering so far...
guess what? SFAM was the album that draws me to DT! :eek:
but I think I start to like this album more. ;p

Man! I want Gigantour in Singapore!!!! :(

This is the first album since Images and Words to NOT feature an instrumental.

Things about DT album - IMHO:

- Images and Words : Strong composition, great solos. The drums sucks though - using drum pads was really a disaster.
- Awake : Start of the 7th string thing with JP. Acrobatic vocals by Labrie. Technically the best gtr work by JP.
- Change of Seasons: Inspired title track. The live stuffs were a little ...OT, I think.
- Falling Into Infinity: Got Kevin Sheirly on board with his mod-toned mixes. The beginning of the now legendary MP DURAAM sound. Structuelly their simplest album of all - but by no means bad.
- Metropolis Part II: THE best.
- 6 Degrees ..: One of the heaviest sounding album.
- TOT: The BEST drum sound they had. Finally MP's drums sounds 'natural' and powerful.
- Octavarium: see above ;)

I am sorry to say I have not heard When Dream and Day Unite.

dreamtheatre said:
This is the first album since Images and Words to NOT feature an instrumental.

Things about DT album - IMHO:

- Images and Words : Strong composition, great solos. The drums sucks though - using drum pads was really a disaster.
- Awake : Start of the 7th string thing with JP. Acrobatic vocals by Labrie. Technically the best gtr work by JP.
- Change of Seasons: Inspired title track. The live stuffs were a little ...OT, I think.
- Falling Into Infinity: Got Kevin Sheirly on board with his mod-toned mixes. The beginning of the now legendary MP DURAAM sound. Structuelly their simplest album of all - but by no means bad.
- Metropolis Part II: THE best.
- 6 Degrees ..: One of the heaviest sounding album.
- TOT: The BEST drum sound they had. Finally MP's drums sounds 'natural' and powerful.
- Octavarium: see above ;)

I am sorry to say I have not heard When Dream and Day Unite.

When Dream And Day Unite (1994) - A very great sounding album! YTSEJAM and Fortune in Lies rocks! :thumbsup:

Somehow i felt Octavarium lacks the 'progressive-ness' DT is reknown for (esp in their last 3 albums, 6DOT,TOT,OCT.. ) ... Hope they make another IAW or SFAM...
:heart:

Ya lor, cannot agree with you more, Icarus.

Now that they got the 'heavy' part down, time to REALLY combine it with their prog thing.

To be honest, I felt 'lost' when I first heard the intro to Octavarium....they really rip Pink Floyd offf....I tot they had Dave Gilmour as guest artise.

Ayiya, I still haven;t pass you my re-mastered copy of IAW, maybe during out next meeting , OK?

Now, I have to put my next 'album' on hold becase quite busy this coming september :(

Damn, I just can't get over the song "Sacrificed Sons". :( Its too touching.
John Petrucci is evil, his high notes guitar solo makes me wanna :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.