Reverse mounting lense on Nikon D5000 for macro

showstoprakesh

Mar 12, 2011
I was getting bored this morning and I set out on a DIY reverse mount thingy on my D5000 for some macro photography. I scavenged an old body cap I had and cut its center open. Then I used an old UV filter and removed its lens. Then attached it on the body cap so the screw grooves are pointed out. After tidying up everything i tried it on my D5000 but damn it doesn't work.

The camera says there is no lens attached! Is there a way to override this? Or did I did something wrong? Or even better, was I totally hectic to set out on this with the D5000 body?

Please help me, I don't want my 2 hours toil to to vain! Please help me out guys, let the cat out please!

Thank you in advance!

you so kan cheong that you had to post this multiple times across 2 subforums? :eek:

Reverse mounting is using 2 lenses mounted front to front.... not mounting a lens backwards onto the lens mount of your camera. With no lens detected, of course it won't fire... duh....

you so kan cheong that you had to post this multiple times across 2 subforums? :eek:

Reverse mounting is using 2 lenses mounted front to front.... not mounting a lens backwards onto the lens mount of your camera. With no lens detected, of course it won't fire... duh....

Not quite bro...

http://www.digital-photography-scho...prime-lenses-for-affordable-macro-photography

Your camera body has to support shooting without the lens.

Guys thank you for your help and quick response. I have figured it out!(thanks to catchlight's link) It works on D5000, you just have to set the camera body for manual focus in full manual mode. I had to play with the settings a little bit! But it worked out pretty well. Need a steady hand and a point-able flash.

Thank you catchlights and Rashkae.

Oh oh! I almost forgot to thank the senior member Zerocoolastra for being such a rude bud! And for you -
Yes! It works fine now with some nice people's help and advice, in manual mode .........duh!!!!
And mounting lense backward straight into camera works too...................................duh!duh!!!!!!
And also Reverse mounting ring is not for just mounting two lens together .................duh!duh!duh!!!!!!!!!!!

Now go figure what are you now!

Last edited:
Sorry ZerocoolAstra for me being such an a*s at coming back to you, like that. My sincere apologies. Hope we are cool now!