Reverse Mount Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonely0

Jun 8, 2004
Singapore
www.alndesign.com
Hi need advice here. i tried mouting a 75-300mm canon lens to my EOS 500 and then mouted a 28-80mm to the tip of the 75-300mm with a masking tape but when i look through the view finder i see nothing?? After that i reverse the sequence, that means the 28-80 on the camera and reverse mouted the 75-300 on the 28-80 mm tip, it works but i can see a circular black on the edge, also, the focus seem far from perfect. it don't seem right... any idea where i go wrong?

I already have a Tamrom Macro 1:1 lens but what i'm trying to achieved the Tamrom cannot give, i'm trying to shoot macro of insect so close that the texture of the eyes can be seen on photo, i guess for that only reverse mout can provide the result. am i right?

or is there a better lens out there that can work? If so, can i know the model or brand?

Lastly, is it possible to mout a canon lens to my D70 with a canon mout for nikon ring? will it causes any malfunction to the D70 since D70 is a totally electronical digital camera.

Thanks.

Try reversing only 1 lens and use the widest lens that you have and if possible with extension. That will give you bigger magnification ratio.

stonely0 said:
Hi need advice here. i tried mouting a 75-300mm canon lens to my EOS 500 and then mouted a 28-80mm to the tip of the 75-300mm with a masking tape but when i look through the view finder i see nothing?? After that i reverse the sequence, that means the 28-80 on the camera and reverse mouted the 75-300 on the 28-80 mm tip, it works but i can see a circular black on the edge, also, the focus seem far from perfect. it don't seem right... any idea where i go wrong?

I already have a Tamrom Macro 1:1 lens but what i'm trying to achieved the Tamrom cannot give, i'm trying to shoot macro of insect so close that the texture of the eyes can be seen on photo, i guess for that only reverse mout can provide the result. am i right?

or is there a better lens out there that can work? If so, can i know the model or brand?

Lastly, is it possible to mout a canon lens to my D70 with a canon mout for nikon ring? will it causes any malfunction to the D70 since D70 is a totally electronical digital camera.

Thanks.

Here's what I did which I think you can achive too.
For this case, I would reverese the 28-80.

1) Mount the 28-80 on your D70. Choose the widest aperture it can take in AV mode and choose the focal length... eg 50mm. Snap a picture. Remove the lens. It should maintain the aperture you set.

2) Mount your 70-300mm. Reverse the 28-80mm and mount on the front of the 70-300mm.

3) It should focus. But you will need to get really close to the subject. You may wanna do a bit of manual focus to adjust too.

When you see nothing, it could be the 2 lens are not aligned. For me I used a reverse mounted 50mm with a 55-200mm lens. I used a reverse ring to mount them together so that they are nicely aligned. Masking tape may not be a good idea... its not strong and leaves sticky residue on your lens. ;)

thanks for the advice... i will go and get a reverse mount for my camera... any idea how much it cost? also, does a canon mount for D70 work well? will there be any problem for the camera?

stonely0 said:
thanks for the advice... i will go and get a reverse mount for my camera... any idea how much it cost? also, does a canon mount for D70 work well? will there be any problem for the camera?

Reverse mount comes in diff sizes. Its like a filter without the glass and with threads on both sides so that you can mate the front end of 2 lenses of the same diameter together. I got mine at ruby for around $10 some time back. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.