Reverse macro of random things =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, lots more people asking how I did it hehh.. Here's how. Excuse the OOF 2nd shot; my dad isn't a very well versed photog.

My nick is Headshotzx haha.. Why's everyone thinking the x is there for show =(

Hope this helps!

wow!!
thank bro!!:thumbsup:
but i do have 1 question...:sweat:
can i use a 67-52mm Metal Step down Ring to attach 2 lens 2 lens 2gather...
here is a sample of the ring:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-67-52...dZViewItemQQitemZ180264650952#ShippingPayment

please advice:lovegrin:

thank

Wow, lots more people asking how I did it hehh.. Here's how. Excuse the OOF 2nd shot; my dad isn't a very well versed photog.

My nick is Headshotzx haha.. Why's everyone thinking the x is there for show =(

Hope this helps!

steady bro headshotzx! hehe... sorry for missing that "x". then must hold the 50mm with left hand all the time? ok, i better remind myself that it's not held to the other lens, else if forget will drop on floor. ;p today i go home and try. thanks for sharing!

ohhh... so this is the way to do reverse macro... i used another method when i was in Taiwan... i reverse my lens and try to balance off the camera with 1 hand and the other hand holding on to the lens... thus i am only able to use M mode... set the shutter speed and iso only... and from there i am able to get decent photos but ultra grainy!!!

So you mean you put the reversed 50mm (possibly with filter) into the camera mount and try to shoot from there? Yes, it'll be f/00, and no DOF control. Here I am shooting in manual too, but I can control all variables (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed).

Hey bro.. From the photo the strap look different. I think its not the canon strap. What strap are you using? Sorry for OOT:D

OptechUSA Pro-Loop - S$30+ from MS and a lot more comfortable.

wow!!
thank bro!!:thumbsup:
but i do have 1 question...:sweat:
can i use a 67-52mm Metal Step down Ring to attach 2 lens 2 lens 2gather...
here is a sample of the ring:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-67-52...dZViewItemQQitemZ180264650952#ShippingPayment

please advice:lovegrin:

thank

That should work. But you must make sure that both sides of the ring have the same threads.

steady bro headshotzx! hehe... sorry for missing that "x". then must hold the 50mm with left hand all the time? ok, i better remind myself that it's not held to the other lens, else if forget will drop on floor. ;p today i go home and try. thanks for sharing!

Yeah sure, no harm done xD. Yes, for now I'm just holding my 50mm there all the time. Another thing you *can* do is use tape. But if the tape gives way.. say baibai to 50mm =D

Thanks for all the comments guys.

thank dude!!
will try to look for a step down ring...
if its work.. will post and let u gusy know

So you mean you put the reversed 50mm (possibly with filter) into the camera mount and try to shoot from there? Yes, it'll be f/00, and no DOF control. Here I am shooting in manual too, but I can control all variables (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed).

yes yes... that is absolutely right... guess i needa get 1 reverse ring for extreme macro as well haha...

yes yes... that is absolutely right... guess i needa get 1 reverse ring for extreme macro as well haha...

Haha.. I knew it. I tried that out with my 50mm f/1.8 with the filter. With the filter, the lens is a perfect fit, but there isn't any aperture control.

Update, here's a new shot of a spider. It's about 0.5 x 0.5cm.

img9376vq5.jpg

about 100% crop:

spidercrophy5.jpg

Cheers!

2820235593_b1ab5e43fe_o.jpg

A really really small scratch I sustained.

Hi really like ur macro shots, really cool......i'm a newbie with a kit 18-55mm lens. Can i possibly get some macro wonders with that lens using reverse techniques? Thinking of buying a 100mm f2.8 macro. Any place where i can get it at a bargain 1st or 2nd hand? cheers...:)

Hi really like ur macro shots, really cool......i'm a newbie with a kit 18-55mm lens. Can i possibly get some macro wonders with that lens using reverse techniques? Thinking of buying a 100mm f2.8 macro. Any place where i can get it at a bargain 1st or 2nd hand? cheers...:)

Thanks.

I don't think you can reverse macro with that.. You'd need a 50mm lens to try (i'm not sure if it works though), so the 50mm f/1.8II + 18-55IS is worth a try. The 50mm lens is also a great portrait lens alone.

100mm f/2.8 macro, just save up and buy it new from the reputable shops, or at best get it from a Mass order (mass order forum).

thanx bro....

holy grail!! the eye pic is *speechless*

great god.

you are my inspiration headshotzx.
MY MACRO MENTOR...

nice work dude.

Last edited:
hey great shots you have there, just wana ask if its possible to use my 450D with kit lens + coupling ring + FD 50mm f1.4 to do this

holy grail!! the eye pic is *speechless*

great god.

you are my inspiration headshotzx.
MY MACRO MENTOR...

nice work dude.

Haha, cheers. I'm flattered =) Glad you liked it!

hey great shots you have there, just wana ask if its possible to use my 450D with kit lens + coupling ring + FD 50mm f1.4 to do this

I'm not sure about this. Firstly I believe you do need to have either A) 2 similar lenses like 50mm 1.8 + 50mm 1.8 coupled together, or B) a short telephoto (85mm and above) with 50mm lens. You could try reverse-holding your FD 50 1.4 in front of the kit lens.

bro..can i use my kit lens 18-70mm + (handheld reverse 50mm f1.7) ?

do i have to manually open the aperture and tape it or something - OR do i just shoot thru the aperture in the 50mm and manually adjust the 18-70 setup?

confused man.

this reversing thing is quite hard..but very very fascinating.

bro..can i use my kit lens 18-70mm + (handheld reverse 50mm f1.7) ?

do i have to manually open the aperture and tape it or something - OR do i just shoot thru the aperture in the 50mm and manually adjust the 18-70 setup?

confused man.

this reversing thing is quite hard..but very very fascinating.

Try this. Mount your 18-70, zoom to 70, put to MFD focus. Reverse hold your 50mm, put to infinity focusing, don't stop down. Instead, stop down the aperture of your 18-70.

The problem I see with your setup is not in the lenses. Assuming the above works out, the problem is that you'd need a flash if you want to shoot things that are moving.

Try this. Mount your 18-70, zoom to 70, put to MFD focus. Reverse hold your 50mm, put to infinity focusing, don't stop down. Instead, stop down the aperture of your 18-70.

The problem I see with your setup is not in the lenses. Assuming the above works out, the problem is that you'd need a flash if you want to shoot things that are moving.

hi bro.

i'm confused about the part not stopping down the f number for my 50mm. does that mean i have to open my aperture wide open?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.