Reverse 50mm Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, where can I buy the reverse ring and may I know how do you use your flash? Do you mount it on the hot shoe mount or do you use an off hot shoe cable? Thanks.

Hi, where can I buy the reverse ring and may I know how do you use your flash? Do you mount it on the hot shoe mount or do you use an off hot shoe cable? Thanks.

What is your camera make? Mine is a Nikon.

I bought mine at Lords (Lucky Plaza). But if you are adventurous, you can make your own -- http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Article.asp?DBAPublishDate=1/10/2005

There are lots of good articles in that website that you can read up on :).

As for flash, mine was mounted on the cam. Again, different people have different preferences. If I have an off shoe cable, I would use it -- to have better lighting control & perhaps minimize shadows where I don't want them.

i'm already having tons of pictures spoilt by the wind when i use my sigma 70-300 for macro!

i'm already having tons of pictures spoilt by the wind when i use my sigma 70-300 for macro!

have to be patient lah... that's one of the key pre-requisites if want to shoot macro :sweat:

sometimes its the wind, sometimes the subject runs away, sometimes you lose your balance...

true, true... it was my first time trying reverse 50mm. tougher than what i did before:
- DOF is even shallower
- working distance is abt 8cm or less (guesstimate only)
- when you stop down aperture, your viewfinder goes so dim, you cannot focus anymore
- backache from all the stooping down

i tried google the meaning of reverse macros, can't get any. being new to photography, can you enlighten what is reverse macro photography? TIA!

i tried google the meaning of reverse macros, can't get any. being new to photography, can you enlighten what is reverse macro photography? TIA!

did you read my post #22 above? there is a link there already, it talks about the set up, etc.

The bug of Pic 3 so comical... funny crosses eye feller... maybe u shud had moved a little to the left.. the green on the b/g a little distracting... for #6 , a lil too much empty space on the left.... This is jus how i feel... Anyway its good for first attempt..

The bug of Pic 3 so comical... funny crosses eye feller... maybe u shud had moved a little to the left.. the green on the b/g a little distracting... for #6 , a lil too much empty space on the left.... This is jus how i feel... Anyway its good for first attempt..

Thanks for the comment. Didn't notice enough of the b/g when I shot the #3 bug -- tchuanye has kindly provided an ID of the bug in an earlier post in this same thread. As for #6, thank you for pointing it out about the cropping :).

50mm reverse lens should be a 4cm working distance, based on the set up I used. And generally speaking, it should be the same for whatever setup as it now acts as a high powered dioptre close up lens.

The challenge is to get the flash more frontal rather than top down. Top down will cast strong shadows below the subject. Put it frontal next to the lens will get a more even lighting.

A610+rev 50mm lens
70498117-L.jpg

50mm reverse lens should be a 4cm working distance, based on the set up I used. And generally speaking, it should be the same for whatever setup as it now acts as a high powered dioptre close up lens.

The challenge is to get the flash more frontal rather than top down. Top down will cast strong shadows below the subject. Put it frontal next to the lens will get a more even lighting.

A610+rev 50mm lens
70498117-L.jpg

Thanks for the tip tchuanye. Will try to do an off shoe flash approach (as soon as I read my camera & flash manuals :p).

TS as inspired me to use my reverse mount again.
I've tried it for a few times and end up getting my eyes very tired and eventually blurry cos trying too hard to focus the subject.

I guess you use a tripod for your shots right?
is it difficult to shoot insects so close?

i think that slight movement in their greenery will result them to move away.
i'm rather clumsy with moving tripods bit by bit.
guess i'll start with flowers first then move on to insects...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TS as inspired me to use my reverse mount again.
I've tried it for a few times and end up getting my eyes very tired and eventually blurry cos trying too hard to focus the subject.

I guess you use a tripod for your shots right?
is it difficult to shoot insects so close?

i think that slight movement in their greenery will result them to move away.
i'm rather clumsy with moving tripods bit by bit.
guess i'll start with flowers first then move on to insects...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Err... nope, no tripod or monopod. Used duopod (my own legs lah) -- all handheld. You are very right about getting tired eyes & blurry OOF shots. But that's part of learning & the challenge I guess. If it was hard to get & you manage the shot, I think the satisfaction would be greater too :).

I think whether shooting insects is hard or not depends on several factors:
- species (are the skittish, or bo-chup)
- time of day (usually easier to shoot in the early mornings & late afternoon/evening)
- your setup (determines your working distance, etc.)

hi fellow nikon user!

i am thinkin of doing reverse 50mm as well
i was wondering if u will get vignetting ?
what magnification you get on a digital sensor?

i am thinking of tryin on a 35mm or a 24mm as well. recommended ? since more wide angle might have more magnification ? i read somewhere floating system of lenses like 24mm is less suited to be reversed though

cheers
ryan

hi fellow nikon user!

i am thinkin of doing reverse 50mm as well
i was wondering if u will get vignetting ?
what magnification you get on a digital sensor?

i am thinking of tryin on a 35mm or a 24mm as well. recommended ? since more wide angle might have more magnification ? i read somewhere floating system of lenses like 24mm is less suited to be reversed though

cheers
ryan

No vignetting. Most of the time, you probably do some cropping to improve composition anyways. As for magnification on sensor, I am not sure about that :(.

I am not sure about other focal lengths though as I have not tried them or read up on them before.

can the mods be done on a nikon?

from what i know the aperture is controlled by a lever and without something actuating that lever you will still be left without aperture control..

damn, i hope there's a way around this!

can the mods be done on a nikon?

from what i know the aperture is controlled by a lever and without something actuating that lever you will still be left without aperture control..

damn, i hope there's a way around this!

I was using a Nikkor 50mm. It has an aperture ring with which you can control the aperture with. So, I am not too sure what mod you are referring to. The lever on the lens is used by the DSLR body & not used in a reverse configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.