Resolution for D3 Vs D300

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Kong

Oct 5, 2007
Eastland
Based on the sensors, D300 can resolves approx. 90 lp/mm ( line pairs per mm ) while D3 can do approx. 60 lp/mm since D3 sensor is much bigger. Does that means D300 need a even better lens than D3 since the sensor resolution is higher? Please comment. Thanks.

Based on the sensors, D300 can resolves approx. 90 lp/mm ( line pairs per mm ) while D3 can do approx. 60 lp/mm since D3 sensor is much bigger. Does that means D300 need a even better lens than D3 since the sensor resolution is higher? Please comment. Thanks.

It's easier to make a better lens for D300 than D3 because the image circle is smaller. That's why the new lenses have very good MTF figures in the centre up to the DX frame size then drop lower towards the FX frame edges.

It's easier to make a better lens for D300 than D3 because the image circle is smaller. That's why the new lenses have very good MTF figures in the centre up to the DX frame size then drop lower towards the FX frame edges.

Well said. Thank you for your feedback. That is why good lens like the Zeiss has very good image quality even at the edge. Using the D300 for example, the diff between CZ 35mm F/2 and Sigma 30mm F/1.4 can be easily observed at 100%.

Well said. Thank you for your feedback. That is why good lens like the Zeiss has very good image quality even at the edge. Using the D300 for example, the diff between CZ 35mm F/2 and Sigma 30mm F/1.4 can be easily observed at 100%.
I dont get your logic here. 1 is a FF lens, the other is DX lens.

The Sigma is designed to be a APS-C format lens. But the centre MTF is still important. The CZ35/2 is supposed to be a FF lens, so you should get more even quality across the DX frame, but that does not guarantee that the centre portion is as sharp as a lens designed for a smaller sensor.

Bottomline is that a lens designed for FF need not resolve as much detail as a lens designed for cropped sensor. Similarly, a lens designed for medium format need not resolve as much details as a lens designed for 35mm because eventually, the magnification during reproduction need not be that high.

As for CZ vs Sigma, I have no comments because I don't think CZ publishes the MTF. ;p My initial comment was based on the new Nikkor lenses.

I think the lenses they are talking about are not the lenses you attach to the body, but the micro lens which is present in the sensor which concentrate the light on to the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.