Repair shop for Canon Flash


Status
Not open for further replies.

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#1
Hi,

There was a loud "POP" sound from the flash and the flash was dead during my client wedding shoot. Anyone know where can I sent my Canon 580EX for repair beside Canon Service Centre. Flash is 13 months old.
 

coolride

New Member
Oct 3, 2007
54
0
0
West
#4
What would be the cost for a flash bulb replacement?
 

ykia

Senior Member
Apr 23, 2005
867
0
0
PunggolJetty.Com
#6
That is a good question. Anybody did a replacement of the flash bulb before?
Might want to be careful doing the repair DIY... The capacitor stores a huge amount of charge and can give you a nasty burn if not discharged properly.
 

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#7
Might want to be careful doing the repair DIY... The capacitor stores a huge amount of charge and can give you a nasty burn if not discharged properly.
Thanks for your advise.:D
 

SRWEE

New Member
Jul 2, 2005
46
0
0
41
east
#8
most likely is one of the capacitors in it has exploded. So if u can diy yourself only cost u a few cents only.
 

junkai21

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
545
0
0
#9
most likely is one of the capacitors in it has exploded. So if u can diy yourself only cost u a few cents only.
If you DIY, if u get shock, you will get the biggest "kick" in your life! I tried once on my slave flash by accidently touching the legs of the circuit board and it had sparks on my hand and a loud PAK sound and some fireworks!! my hand is blown with a "chao tar" burn mark and it's hellll pain!! Dont try it at "home"!! :thumbsup:

if you are feeling sian/sleepy you can try it! it can wake you up instantly!! :bsmilie:
 

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#10
If you DIY, if u get shock, you will get the biggest "kick" in your life! I tried once on my slave flash by accidently touching the legs of the circuit board and it had sparks on my hand and a loud PAK sound and some fireworks!! my hand is blown with a "chao tar" burn mark and it's hellll pain!! Dont try it at "home"!! :thumbsup:

if you are feeling sian/sleepy you can try it! it can wake you up instantly!! :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: Thanks for the advise. :D
 

nikkie

New Member
Jan 7, 2005
998
0
0
Singapore
#11
try to get a quote from P&G photographic center at the basement of adelphi. your can decide if you still want to DIY.
professional repair work might would be safer and less troublesome for you.
 

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#12
try to get a quote from P&G photographic center at the basement of adelphi. your can decide if you still want to DIY.
professional repair work might would be safer and less troublesome for you.
Thanks. :D Will do that.
 

fatigue

Senior Member
Sep 26, 2005
2,924
14
38
49
Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
forums.clubsnap.org
#13
You just need to discharge the capacitor to avoid the electric shock.
I am using a 10kOhms resistor to discharge the capacitor for a few seconds.
You can use a lower resistance value to speed up the discharge but must use a higher wattage rating.
 

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#14
You just need to discharge the capacitor to avoid the electric shock.
I am using a 10kOhms resistor to discharge the capacitor for a few seconds.
You can use a lower resistance value to speed up the discharge but must use a higher wattage rating.
Thanks for the advise :D
 

fatigue

Senior Member
Sep 26, 2005
2,924
14
38
49
Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
forums.clubsnap.org
#19
That is a good question. Anybody did a replacement of the flash bulb before?
I don't think you have a busted flash bulb. The symptoms of a busted flash bulb are:
1. Flash can power up
2. You can hear the charging noise
3. Pilot lamp/Ready lamp/charge indicator lamp could still light up
4. Flash don't fire even at manual firing.

Here are some cautions besides discharging the capacitor:
1. Take care of the plastic catch when opening the flash case, it easily breaks.
2. Don't touch the to silver reflector that house the flash bulb, it will leave permanent finger prints if you do
3. Make sure to maintain the wire harness in it's original position, or else, you could not close the casing properly
 

wranger

Senior Member
Mar 24, 2007
3,476
0
0
UK | TWN
#20
I don't think you have a busted flash bulb. The symptom of a busted flash bulb is:
1. Flash can power up
2. You can hear the charging noise
3. Pilot lamp/Ready lamp/charge indicator lamp could still light up
4. Flash don't fire even at manual firing.

Here are some cautions besides discharging the capacitor:
1. Take care of the plastic catch when opening the flash case, it easily breaks.
2. Don't touch the to silver reflector that house the flash bulb, it will leave permanent finger prints if you do
3. Make sure to maintain the wire harness in it's original position, or else, you could not close the casing properly
Hey Bro,

Are you able to do the repair for me. :D

PM me your quote. Thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom