Repair job at Fujifilm Singapore

Lenith

Mar 31, 2014
Singapore
Received my lens back from Fujifilm 1 week ago, took it out yesterday to prep for a trip this coming weekend, and I noticed several specks of dust behind the front glass.

Wondering whether this is normal and I should accept that some specks of dust are inevitable.

A little background to my whole experience... I first sent in my lens for repair after a trip to Europe in late March, I had damaged my front lens thread and could not remove my filter. After charging me $100 for repair and another $150 for the replacement parts, I received the lens back after a length 2+ weeks wait only to discover to my horror that they had fit the front end wrongly, so the hood now screwed in at a wrong position. I emailed them and they sent an technician down to collect my lens for me to rectify the error. It took Fujifilm another 2 weeks to rectify the error. When I next received the lens, they had forgotten to turn on the aperture blades, so twisting the aperture rings did not change the aperture at all...

Had to send in my lens for a third time to Fujifilm. Now this is after the 3rd repair. I noticed the specks of dust behind the front glass as I mentioned above.

Is this completely normal or acceptable?

For me they remove a big one but introduce two small ones.... So I guess I am ok

Fuji does need to do more QC

Last edited:
TS you have infinite patience which is an admirable quality in a person. :)

What can I do right? Lose temper at fuji staff also won't get anything done. Unless someone knows a person in a more managerial position I don't think that kicking up a fuss will get anything done.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Bro , your patience is extraordinary. I'm very impressed as lesser people facing your problem prob would have cried foul in every single forum he can find.

For dust in your glass I'll say it's better to leave it be unless it's huge enough to impact image quality.

For one , dust does get into equipment from usage and I don think u r the sort who spend on equipment to display in the dry cabinet. The XF18 for one is one lens I have realized to be quite a good dust collector (I've had 3 copies of it and currently still using 1)

I agree Fujifilm SG can do better , I'll let them know about this.

Definitely not acceptable if you ask me.

if you are a pro and depend on your equipment to make a living, it will cost you for the time the lens is out of action.

Definitely not acceptable if you ask me.

if you are a pro and depend on your equipment to make a living, it will cost you for the time the lens is out of action.

I am sure they will loan u one for free haha. Anyway QC at Fuji need to buck up. I had sent equipment to canon and Nikon for repair in the past ... Eveything come back good.

I've found Fujifilm service tech to be badly trained and unaware of the common issues with the camera. Even though canon also had room for improvement, comparing with Fujifilm, Fujifilm is frankly, quite bad

no one will ever be satisfied de la, truth of the matter is, the first step of your equipment having issues sets the tone of your stance towards their repair liao, we are so fast paced that we probably expect the repaired unit to be returned within the next day...

you had good experience with Nikon, but I had bad experience with Nikon. Having to go back NSC 5 times cause everytime they returned me a faulty set. And as you know, their NSC only open during office hours, meaning I had to take leave to visit them.

Grass is always greener on the other side...I using Sony now, i sure say Sony sucks, Nikon/Canon better...

instead of complaining here, write a email to their management with practical feedback on how they can improve la...

It's a mutual balance.

I'll say Sony service sucks as I was the one back then who had to bang tables for them to 'admit' that the A7 had light leak issues and issue a fix for it to local users.

(The stupid irony was that when I did that , it was already known worldwide for months that this is a Sony acknowledged issue and that there was a ready fix avail but Sony SG just refused to admit it)

but u know what? I'm sure some will say Sony gives excellent service and I'll say that they are right too.

I'll say I had good experiences with Canon , Panasonic and Olympus too but yet there's many who will say they had nightmares with them and I think it's back to sometimes mutual expectations and attitudes.

I seen one guy sending in a broken camera on day 1 and expecting it back on day 2 (fully fixed) , if not a replacement to be given. When the Svc Ctr tried to expedite it out of goodwill (and had in done in 4 days - the customer wasn't even appreciative and went online to complain why it took 4 days to repair a totally broken camera.

I can say I know the folks at Fujifilm Svc Ctr personally . They are trying their best to work out the best for consumers and yes , like all brands they screw up occasionally but they always do make sure they make up for it (unlike some brands that will just ignore u instead)

They are trying , let's work with them to help them get better and if things go wrong (which does happen) ; chill on the temper and work on being proactive in fixing it.

Kiaptography's idea is excellent, if unhappy about things - write them a note telling them how they can improve.

Last edited: