Rental Rate of old vacant shophouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardg

Sep 3, 2006
Have a vacant shophouse till next tenant moves in.
Thinking of renting mine out for shoot if worth it.
Will appreciate any advice on the going rate for renting old shophouse?
Thanks.

I don't know what studio rent is like nowadays but it ain't cheap I bet. Sounds like a great idea to generate cash flow while the space is vacant. I guess you could invest in lights and backdrops and props and the such and maybe turn it into some sort of business...charge by the hour usage or whatever.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are providing...
A fully stocked studio with lights, light modifiers, backgrounds, changing rooms, toilets, a/c, etc... is around 35/hour.

To furnish and equip it into a photo studio will set you back at least $25,000.

Cheaper to convert it into a dance hall.

All need is some music, some light effects, drinks and a few dance hostesses. :)

You guys are asking him to throw in MORE MONEY to buy gear just so he can get better rate for his rental? You all know how long that shophouse will be vacant for before his tenant move it?

If it is just for a few months or worst a few weeks, why spend more money buying equipment to equip the vacant house to attract interest or get better rental rates .... And later when tenant move in, what he do with all the equipment and would that period be enough to recoup his cost?

I suspect he just want to rent it out as it is, maybe the stark condition of the shophouse is why he thinks he might have some people interested to shoot in that condition for example.

.....I suspect he just want to rent it out as it is, maybe the stark condition of the shophouse is why he thinks he might have some people interested to shoot in that condition for example.

It would enhance the rent for photographers considerably if the shophouse is haunted as such place to shoot is fast vanishing in Singapore.

Failing that it may be an idea to hire a bomoh to invite a wandering spirit to make it its home. :)

To furnish and equip it into a photo studio will set you back at least $25,000.

Cheaper to convert it into a dance hall.

All need is some music, some light effects, drinks and a few dance hostesses. :)

There many people asking where to find abandoned house to shoot models, maybe can consider this option, it won't cost much to on renovation and maintenance as well. :)

You guys are asking him to throw in MORE MONEY to buy gear just so he can get better rate for his rental? You all know how long that shophouse will be vacant for before his tenant move it?

If it is just for a few months or worst a few weeks, why spend more money buying equipment to equip the vacant house to attract interest or get better rental rates .... And later when tenant move in, what he do with all the equipment and would that period be enough to recoup his cost?

I suspect he just want to rent it out as it is, maybe the stark condition of the shophouse is why he thinks he might have some people interested to shoot in that condition for example.

Well TS asked... we answered... how much he wants to invest depends on him...

we also offer some alternative options. :)

Have a vacant shophouse till next tenant moves in. Thinking of renting mine out for shoot if worth it. Will appreciate any advice on the going rate for renting old shophouse? Thanks.
frankly I rather u leave it vacant as it is not worthy the trouble...

Studio hourly rental rates are not that high to begin with, maybe $30-50 and we are talking about fully equipped with lighting, backdrop etc. Vacant unit will not be able to command much...

Unless u have folks renting by the week or month, u are probably dealing with ad-hoc customers asking for 2 or 3 hours shoot. Having to manage the logistics of this is a big hassle and unless you're physically at the shophouse, you will need someone to assist with taking bookings, opening up the premise, checking after handover, lock up etc

If your agent needs to arrange for potential tenants to view the unit, having a shoot going on will definitely be disruptive.

frankly I rather u leave it vacant as it is not worthy the trouble...

Studio hourly rental rates are not that high to begin with, maybe $30-50 and we are talking about fully equipped with lighting, backdrop etc. Vacant unit will not be able to command much...

Unless u have folks renting by the week or month, u are probably dealing with ad-hoc customers asking for 2 or 3 hours shoot. Having to manage the logistics of this is a big hassle and unless you're physically at the shophouse, you will need someone to assist with taking bookings, opening up the premise, checking after handover, lock up etc

If your agent needs to arrange for potential tenants to view the unit, having a shoot going on will definitely be disruptive.

Exactly what I meant... and then some. Absent of vital information does not make sense to throw in suggestions that require throwing in more monetary investment. TS should offer more details to begin with.

Too bad Halloween over else can rent it for special effects. Heh heh! Sion as lead model with cats! ;p

Here are some cheap DIY solutions to his studio for rent: :)

maxresdefault.jpg

original.jpg

Old shop house, been there, stays there, taken photos of it too. Too bad, demolished. :(

Thanks guys.
Sammy hit the nail on the head.
Looks like not worth it at all.

Thanks & Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.