removed photos from DSLR and moved back - Canon DSLR can't recognize photos

haring

Nov 4, 2010
I have removed card/RAW photos from Canon DSLR, renamed photos and without changing them moved back to card and inserted camera. Canon DSLR can't recognize photos...It can't play them. Why? Anybody can explain this? Thanks!

I have removed card/RAW photos from Canon DSLR, renamed photos and without changing them moved back to card and inserted camera. Canon DSLR can't recognize photos...It can't play them. Why? Anybody can explain this? Thanks!

And you are a wedding pro?:rolleyes:

This is technical,hope you can follow.Consumer devices like digital cameras use a type of legacy file
system from the days of DOS operating systems which is called FAT (file allocation table).It is simple but with todays computers because of security and other problems they use NTFS Windows file system (from the NT operating system of microsoft and all new OS are based on NT technology.)

here is some info of FAT file system,read pg.1-8 (the rest is specific to vendor's app).

https://www.silabs.com/Support Documents/TechnicalDocs/AN0030.pdf

If you read your user manual of any digital camera, it tells you to format card in the camera
before use.
They have reasons for it.;) Simply put if you write to SD card from PC you will corrupt your file header.That is it write extra info which a FAT system cannot understand or read.

What you can do to safeguard your data on SD is to copy file to PC first and then do what you want.
It is common sense to backup your data,that is make extra copies.This is what pros do.:)So never write to SD card, only read from PC.

DVD Players, Smart TVs, Printers, Digital Cameras, Media Players, Smartphones, Anything With a USB Port or SD Card Slot: Here’s where it really starts to get complicated. Many, many devices have USB ports or SD card slots. All these device will be designed to work with FAT32 file systems, so they’ll “just work” and be able to read your files as long as you’re using FAT32. Some devices will work with NTFS, but you can’t count on it — in fact, you should probably assume that most devices can only read FAT32, not NTFS.

This is why you really want to use FAT32 on your removable drives, so you can use them with almost any device. There’s not much to be gained from using NTFS on a USB stick, aside from support for files over 4GB in size.

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg...ble-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

From Sandisk: Notes for Flash Drives:
Formatting the flash drive as NTFS will make it unwriteable on a Mac computer. Most Mac computers can read NTFS, but not write.
NTFS is a journaled file system, this creates more read/write activities. Therefore, it MAY decrease life expectancy of your flash drive.
Once the device is formatted as NTFS, you MUST use "Safely Remove Hardware" to remove your device.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2545/~/differences-between-fat-and-ntfs

Some more:
http://www.integralmemory.com/faq/what-are-differences-between-fat16-fat32-and-exfat-file-systems

Last edited:
And you are a wedding pro?:rolleyes:
This is technical,hope you can follow.[...]
Please get your facts right before posting and rolling any of your eyes about others. Also: it helps to ask a few more questions before jumping into questionable conclusions about file systems.
From what I see online, NTFS is not even supported. Reason being the patents with Microsoft and the required royalties that Canon would need to pay. So why are you bringing up this topic?

Most cameras use a specific naming pattern for the image files. That's what you see when images are written to the card: they follow a defined naming scheme with index numbers, sorted into folders with sequence numbers.
Assumption: In return, a camera expects these patterns when reading the files. Since you renamed them, the camera ignores files not following the naming scheme.
Question: Did you also change the file extension, usually something like .JPG or .CR2? That could be another reason why the camera does not recognize the files. Always leave this extension unchanged, many rograms and firmware still use this to recognize file formats.

Beside this: why would you do such renaming of files on the card? Treat your files on the card as 'evidence' that should never be tempered with.
Make copies to play around with the images or videos but always keep one copy untouched somewhere safe. Otherwise you are up for a painful lesson.

The simple answer would be: Canon did not design their cameras to do that. :)

Likely what's going on is that Canon, or whichever manufacturer, have programmed their cameras to look out for specific parameters (i.e., file/directory structure, file naming convention, etc) in order to recognize compatible images for playback. Since the cameras are not designed or advertised as universal image playback devices, there's no need for them to support all kinds of formats or read any files that fall outside of their own defined parameters.

Long story short, don't treat your camera like a tablet, it wasn't designed to do that.

If you want your camera to playback photos, you need those files to be exactly the way your camera created them.

http://www.blog.jimdoty.com/?p=523

They can be quite finicky. For eg, JPGs exported from Lightroom can be read inside my 6D. However, if I take the same photo, change just the date taken in Windows and put back into the camera, it won't be recognised. You have to trial and error to see how tolerant the camera is to any deviation from the default.