Regular Four-Thirds format still rules!!

Hitman

Despite all the interest in m4/3, I am still happily shooting with my E-5... granted I got the E-P3 that I take with me on a daily basis. But whenever I use the E-5 to take photographs, it still feel very 'shiok'. The sound of the shutter, the focusing speed, looking through the viewfinder..... the experience is indescribable.

:thumbsup: Best part - the E-5 has allowed me to continue taking photos while others hide their cameras away during this rainy season, call me a show-off, but I like it when my friends/colleagues marvel at the ability of the E-5 to continue shooting despite the weather! The only non-weatherproof thing is the man behind the lens...

At some point, we will have to embrace the future and learn to accept and adapt the new generation of cameras, but for now... I continue to enjoy the E-5 (and whatever that will come after it).... while it lasts.....

glad to hear you are happy e5 owner. please share with us more e5 pic.....

Good to know that you are loving that gem bro. I love my E5 too especially pairing it with the 25mm F1.4. But since I got the XZ-1, have been slightly using it lesser then often. Ha ha!

And I am still enjoying the E-3 :kiss:

There is NO equivalent 14-54/f2.8-3.5 and 50-200/f2.8-3.5 in the m.4/3 world yet ........ :)

Same thing here I still use my E-1 although I use EPL-1 for daily basis....:) I hope Olympus still continuing E-X and E-XX series....

Yeah, E3/E5 are all great cameras. But I prefer to carry a much smaller and lighter GF1 and G3. No camera is good if it's not with you when you wanna take a photo, isn't it? ;)

Tonight I went to Orchard w family and some relatives, only carried a G3 w/ 20mm lens. Had a lot photos while I didn't feel any extra weight at all after 3 hours walk. Don't think I'd feel the same if I carried a E5 w 25/1.4...

Yeah, E3/E5 are all great cameras. But I prefer to carry a much smaller and lighter GF1 and G3. No camera is good if it's not with you when you wanna take a photo, isn't it? ;)

Tonight I went to Orchard w family and some relatives, only carried a G3 w/ 20mm lens. Had a lot photos while I didn't feel any extra weight at all after 3 hours walk. Don't think I'd feel the same if I carried a E5 w 25/1.4...

Heh heh.. that's where a good compact comes into the picture. Point and shoot with iq almost comparable to a mirrorless system. ;)

Tonight I went to Orchard w family and some relatives, only carried a G3 w/ 20mm lens. Had a lot photos while I didn't feel any extra weight at all after 3 hours walk.

With this post, I've just put my batteries into chargers, will make an effort to go down to Orchard tonight to snap a few. My cameras are grossly under utilised.

mabmy said:
Heh heh.. that's where a good compact comes into the picture. Point and shoot with iq almost comparable to a mirrorless system. ;)

Point and shoot is not the same as mirrorless. Superficially yes, but they dun hv the sharpness and detail.

but they dun hv the sharpness and detail.

True. That's why it's only a high end pns. Almost there but not close enough. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade my E-1 or my E-5 for a current mirror-less camera body. I know that micro Four-Thirds will improve but I'm not ready for them at their current levels.

Besides, when I was photographing swimming or photographing running in the rain, I didn't have to worry. When micro Four-Thirds can give me equivalents to everything I use, I can switch.

Point and shoot is not the same as mirrorless. Superficially yes, but they dun hv the sharpness and detail.

Some of the PnS are indeed very decent in terms of sharpness and detail. Their worst limitations, IMHO, is their perspective. Because of their sensor size, can never get the "bokeh" or defocused characteristics of the bigger sensors camera. For similar focal length lenses and f-stops.

Except the Fuji X100 and Sigmas ;)

Some of the PnS are indeed very decent in terms of sharpness and detail. Their worst limitations, IMHO, is their perspective. Because of their sensor size, can never get the "bokeh" or defocused characteristics of the bigger sensors camera. For similar focal length lenses and f-stops.

Except the Fuji X100 and Sigmas ;)

Don't the Sigma DP1 and DP2 have a smaller sensor than Four-Thirds?

Don't the Sigma DP1 and DP2 have a smaller sensor than Four-Thirds?

DP series is APS-C sensor. In case you are not aware, besides of M8, M9, M9P and Ricoh M mount, DP series has no AA filter.

I'm still happily using my E520, even though I'm always tempted to upgrade. The newer bodies just don't feel the same, and the E-5 is too big and $$$ for me.

I don't think m43 was ever meant to compete with the Pro systems, why people chose m43 was to get output as close as it can to the Pro systems but yet small and agile enough, up to now there aren't many lenses to cater for the full suite of genre, I am still hoping to see a good portrait lens to be released.. Oly 45mm F1.8 (90mm) falls a little short focal length wise.. would still preferred an FF equivalent 135mm.

Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 is available but with these new m43 bodies it would bring out more mileage/usage with an auto-focus lens. Of course, can use the adapters but small is the intent so without adapters and small lenses are what we wished for.

Agreed. I have moved from E-500 to E-3 to E-5 and still using it to shoot nature and sports. Coupled with the 14-54, 50-200 and FL50 it handles mostly of the heavy stuff I need to do. I also have the XZ-1 which handles walkabout/ social and underwater shots decently.

Granted the E-5 kit in my bag is heavy, coupled with the tripod I sometimes carry out as well, it can be tiring. I recently did a walk from Science Park/Kent Ridge/Hort Part/Berlayer Creek/Keppel Marina. Good exercise, but well worth the walk for the photos taken.