regarding the aperture size of 50mm f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

i just bought a 50mm f1.8 and am not sure about certain things, hope someone can help me here:

1. why is it that sometimes the aperture is at f2.8 ? how do i force it to be at f1.8 ?

2. why do we have to lock the ring at f22 before "P" and "S" can function?

3. the 50mm is a fixed lens, so how come it is not fixed at 50mm? i mean why can i still zoom in and out a tiny little bit?

apologise for the newbie question.... thanks....

words no use here. join a gathering or photoshoot to let the others teach u. u get better idea that way.

erictan8888 said:
3. the 50mm is a fixed lens, so how come it is not fixed at 50mm? i mean why can i still zoom in and out a tiny little bit?

you sure?

the ONLY way you can "zoom in" or "zoom out" that i know of with the lens, is by moving yourself.

what i mean by the zoom in and out thing is that you zoom in and out a tiny tiny little bit... hmm... dun know how to say lo....the lens is not suppose to move one right ?? hmm.... looks like i am missing a lot of things...

you mean when you focus, the lens front element moves in or out.

erictan8888 said:
hi,

i just bought a 50mm f1.8 and am not sure about certain things, hope someone can help me here:

1. why is it that sometimes the aperture is at f2.8 ? how do i force it to be at f1.8 ?

Nikon lens need to lock at min aperture (max f number) for the camera to take over the control of the aperature in P and S modes. Canon lens don't have aperture ring to play with, all controlled by camera.

when camera has control of aperture, it depends on metering and lighting conditions what the aperture is. if you die die want to lock at f1.8, then use Av mode lor, but note the larger the aperture, the shallower DOF.

1.wat u mean by sometimes at 2.8.... juz set it to 1,8 on A mode la....

2.a reference no so tt the cam can control the aperture electronically...

3.u may be turning the focusing ring....not the zoom ring..... u mean the picture actually gets bigger...not possible rite...

cheers..

erictan8888 said:
hi,

1. you need to use "Aperture Priority" mode, or on a canon SLR/DSLR, it's referred to as "Av" mode. turn the prominent dial with loads of markings on your SLR to "Av" mode and you can turn the jog dial to select which aperture you want it to be - f1.8 all the way to f22. do note that at f1.8 this lens isn't really very sharp, you might want to use it from f2 onwards.

2. sorry this i can't answer, but i don't even know what's "locking the ring"... "P" and "S" functions i've never used before.. not sure. i only use "Av" or "Tv" or "M".

3. when you turn the ring you're not zooming in or out, it's just focusing the lens. yeah it looks like the lens is zooming but no in actual fact it's not - it's just that the focus element is moving forward and backward to focus the lens.

all the best... though i think you really need to go read up on some photography books first on the basic technical knowledge of handling an SLR... it's important and it will help you alot in understanding your camera better... nothing beats hands on.. us saying loads of stuff here ain't really gonna work a lot either.

all the best.

Focusing is not zooming. I bet you have noticed that when you turn the ring, the image doesn't appear bigger, just sharper/blur right?

You need serious help my friend. :p Agree with the guys here, join a photo-outing or get a basic photography book for slr.

hee hee... i guess that must have happened.... will go and try and see again later....

planning to go for a night shoot that espn organising......

but night shoot is always harder than daytime shoot..... dun know what will happen to all my pics.....

went macrichie reservoir today... seems that nikon D70 has a tendencey to under expose the shoots....

bring a sturdy tripod.

d70 underexposure. I think that's been mentioned in the nikon thread before.

Status
Not open for further replies.