Regarding no photographs please rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I'm not too sure about that; perhaps you can check it out for us.

The only differentiating factor I know of is "Protected Place" and "Protected Area". At least what I'm reading from the Protected Areas and Protected Places Act.

IIRC, there is a slight difference, like "protected area" and "prohibited area" or something to that extent... Not sure of the exact provisions, only understand it to prevent people from taking photos OF the place to facilitate tactical decision.

I've done a quick search on the various orders made in relation to protected places/areas, trying to look for MRT stations being so called "gazetted", but have found none.

The only MRT related areas found gazetted are the MRT depots (bishan, changi, ulu pandan), and the MRT headquarters (operation command centre). Nothing about MRT stations.

And come to think of it, it would be quite weird for MRT stations to be gazetted as protected places, given that vast numbers go in and out and I don't even remember seeing any protected place sign there.

Of course, searches being searches, and given the vast number of orders out there relating to protected places (I see a total of around 200, I didn't bother to read each and every one; relying on the database to search instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I'm not too sure about that; perhaps you can check it out for us.

The only differentiating factor I know of is "Protected Place" and "Protected Area". At least what I'm reading from the Protected Areas and Protected Places Act.

You are right, it's "Place" and "Area"... I forgot everything liao :sweat:

"Prohibited area" is used in another area :embrass:

You're right, my error.

It's generally a client requirement (not having other logos in their ads), and not a legal one.

Taking of a photograph of a trade-mark does not infringe trade mark rights in the mark.

Do you mean IN shopping centres etc? Cause your sentence implies that I can't take a photo of the exterior of a commercial building, even if I'm shooting from public land, and I seriously doubt that to be true.
Except for the case of identifiable trademarked logos etc in a photo used for commercial purposes, in which case building mgmt permission wouldn't be enough anyway.

AFAIK / IIRC, there used to be extremely long list of every single areas and buildings in Singapore that was assigned legal protective status (not the one for conservation purposes) under the Protected Areas And Protected Places Act, and with the related latitude and longitude coordinates.

It was a few hundred pages long in a (or multiple) .PDF document. But somehow, it's no longer there. I verbally recalled public beaches as one of them.

Last edited:
Yup, and "Place" and "Area" don't seem to have any difference as far as area of effect of no-photography is concerned :)

You are right, it's "Place" and "Area"... I forgot everything liao :sweat:

"Prohibited area" is used in another area :embrass:

AFAIK / IIRC, there used to be extremely long list of every single areas and buildings in Singapore that was assigned legal protective status (not the one for conservation purposes) under the Protected Areas And Protected Places Act, and with the related latitude and longitude coordinates.

It was a few hundred pages long in a (or multiple) .PDF document. But somehow, it's no longer there. I verbally recalled public beaches as one of them.
The document was something similar to the one found here.

MHA(PS) 12/2/02 TF 1; CP/C/198/39/1 V18; AG/LEG/SL/256/97/1 Vol. 2 said:
... < snipped > ...

Premises declared to be protected place​

2. The premises described in the second column of the Schedule are hereby declared to be a protected place for the purposes of the Act, and no person shall be in those premises unless he is in possession of a pass-card or permit issued by the authority specified in the first column of the Schedule or has received the permission of an authorised officer on duty at the premises to enter the premises.

All that area comprised in Lot 2924T MK 7, occupied by &#8216;&#8216;PIONEER TERMINAL BUILDING AT PIONEER SECTOR 1, SINGAPORE&#8217;&#8217; containing an area of about 12,163.7 square metres and bounded approximately as follows: Commencing at the northeastern-most corner of the perimeter fence of the aforesaid &#8216;&#8216;PIONEER TERMINAL BUILDING AT PIONEER SECTOR 1, SINGAPORE&#8217;&#8217; which point is 31,930.4 metres North and 7,928.8 metres East of the Survey Department origin of co-ordinates, the boundaries run along successive lines of fence of bearings and distances as under:

Bearing Distance in metres.

• 133° 25' 78.9 (along chain link fence)
  • 133° 27' 125.6 (along chain link fence)
  • 224° 04' 12.5 (along chain link fence)
  • 313° 37' 0.9 (along chain link fence)
  • 223° 12' 1.0 (along chain link fence)
  • 134° 41' 0.8 (along wall)
  • 223° 32' 6.0 (along wall)
  • 315° 34' 0.8 (along wall)
  • 228° 28' 0.6 (along chain link fence)
  • 223° 37' 6.0 (across a gate)
  • 225° 26' 1.2 (along chain link fence)
  • 136° 21' 0.9 (along chain link fence)
  • 223° 44' 19.9 (along chain link fence)
  • 227° 40' 12.5 (along chain link fence)
  • 313° 22' 99.9 (along chain link fence)
  • 313° 31' 101.4 (along chain link fence)
  • 41° 18' 25.7 (along chain link fence)
  • 41° 55' 26.0 (along chain link fence)
  • 42° 03' 2.0 (across a gate)
  • 41° 48' 6.1 (along chain link fence)
... < snipped > ...

Last edited:
I no follow that list... but for protected areas (assuming MRT stations gazatted cuz they still have the right to search) does it mean they (the staffs) also have the right to tell you to stop taking photos?

"(2) Any person who is in any protected area shall comply with such directions for regulating his movement and conduct as may be given by an authorised officer, and an authorised officer may search any person entering, or seeking to enter, or being in, a protected area, and may detain any such person for the purpose of searching him."

Yes, you are correct, the list is so long which is why I didn't bother to read every single notification. It is actually spread over 200 different Orders issued by the Minister; and I'm not sure how a single PDF came about; maybe someone went to compile all.

My search as stated in my post above show that MRT stations are not gazetted.

Even if they are, the Section you quoted relates to instances where you are actually IN the protected place; not outside of it taking photogrpahs (which was the point I made earlier).

I no follow that list... but for protected areas (assuming MRT stations gazatted cuz they still have the right to search) does it mean they (the staffs) also have the right to tell you to stop taking photos?

"(2) Any person who is in any protected area shall comply with such directions for regulating his movement and conduct as may be given by an authorised officer, and an authorised officer may search any person entering, or seeking to enter, or being in, a protected area, and may detain any such person for the purpose of searching him."

My search as stated in my post above show that MRT stations are not gazetted.

Even if they are, the Section you quoted relates to instances where you are actually IN the protected place; not outside of it taking photogrpahs (which was the point I made earlier).

My apologies... my memory is muddled... I was all the while thinking of the wrong reference... the OSA.

Hahah I see, okay lor :) :)

My apologies... my memory is muddled... I was all the while thinking of the wrong reference... the OSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.