Regarding laptop batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
I've heard from a colleague of mine that if one is using his/her laptop with the A/C power plugged-in, it is better to remove the battery pack. By leaving the battery pack in the lap top while plugged to A/C power will shorten the battery's life span. :think:

Any comments on this matter?

TIA.

that's what i heard , but still, laptop battery life is still very much in a "disgrace" stage, no matter how you use it

Consider the laptop battery a disposable item (in the long run). I would personally leave the battery in because the power supply where I am is prone to tripping. I do not want to have to recover a crashed hard disk.

Too much time spent not using the laptop battery also renders it weak for disuse. Either way the battery will deteriorate. Its only a matter of prolonging it. At the end of the day you have to buy a replacement battery, its whether sooner or later.

You should take out the battery when plugged in.

But use up the battery and charge it back up one a week if yours is NiMH.

If Li-ion then just put in for 10 mins to top-up once a week.

If there is lightning outside then unplug and use the battery - got chance that kena lightning your laptop bye-bye already. Not rare one - my friend kena twice already...

Canew said:
I've heard from a colleague of mine that if one is using his/her laptop with the A/C power plugged-in, it is better to remove the battery pack. By leaving the battery pack in the lap top while plugged to A/C power will shorten the battery's life span. :think:

Any comments on this matter?

TIA.
Used to be true for NiCd batteries. They don't like to be overcharged. With modern Li Ion batteries, there has to be a charge controller anyway, leaving the battery in will only keep in in trickle charge mode until it's full afterwhich it will cut off, so this should not harm the battery at all.

tink it's not recommended (unless recommended) to operate notebook using the AC adaptor w/o the batt installed. the batt acts as a voltage stabiliser to reduce the incoming DC voltage coming into the PC. w/o the battery, the incoming DC voltage may be too high and might fry the components inside.

take a look at the ratings of the adaptor. then measure the actual voltage. you'll see that the actual voltage is much higher than rated voltage.

:)

HLL said:
You should take out the battery when plugged in.

But use up the battery and charge it back up one a week if yours is NiMH.

If Li-ion then just put in for 10 mins to top-up once a week.

If there is lightning outside then unplug and use the battery - got chance that kena lightning your laptop bye-bye already. Not rare one - my friend kena twice already...

Hi all

That ture as I experience it with my old laptop.

li-ion can only charge about 300-500 times.. when the charge drops to below 90%, the laptop will recharge the battery again..

li-ion trickle charge. to the battery is considered 1 'charge' used every 24 hours. if you want to prolong the battery life.. dont anyhow recharge it.. recharge it when it's almost finished. eg. 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.