Reflection Photography Start-up Photography #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflection

Feb 22, 2005
Cowtown
Hello folks! Welcome to the world of Photography. For the next 4 weeks, you’ll learn to harness the power of your SLR camera to create images that speak to you.

I tend to be a very involved instructor, and will guide you to release the potential that every single one of you already posses. All I ask is that you bring along your eagerness to learn, the patience to listen and the ambition to achieve the results that you want. The only requirement I have with regards to equipment, is that you use a single lens reflex camera (eg. Nikon D70, F80, Canon EOS series etc). If you’ve got problems with equipment, I’ll be glad to help you out in any way I can. Digital or Film cameras are welcome!

COURSE CONTENT IS AS FOLLOWS:

1)The SLR camera
- Basic Parts
- Added Features and their uses

2)Exposure
- Shutter speed
- Aperture
- Medium
- Control of exposure via metering
- Power of light
- Basic Flash Techniques

3)What lenses do to your pictures
- Types of lenses
- Perspective
- View Angle

4)Composition & the acceptable picture
- Rule of Thirds
- Focus
- Framing

5)Image Processing
- What's in a negative?
- Basic Digital Processes

6)Maintenance
- What you need to maintain your equipment
- Basic maintenance habits to cultivate

Class Schedule is as follows:

Mar 19, 2005 (2pm - 6pm)
Mar 26, 2005 (10am - 2pm)
Apr 02, 2005 (5pm - 9pm)
Apr 9, 2005 (10am - 2pm)

Classes are hands-on outdoor practical sessions, and involve baking in the elements, so please bring enough water and wear comfortable clothing.

Course fees: $200

If anyone needs more information, pls do not hesitate to contact me via PM or feel free to ask questions in this thread.

I like to keep my classes small, so that i can devote maximum attention to my students. So, let's keep it at a limit of 8. Let's get the ball rolling people!

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Mar 19, 2005 (2pm - 6pm)
Apr 02, 2005 (5pm - 9pm)
Apr 9, 2005 (10am - 2pm)

Classes are hands-on outdoor practical sessions, and involve baking in the elements, so please bring enough water and wear comfortable clothing.

If anyone needs more information, pls do not hesitate to contact me via PM or feel free to ask questions in this thread.

I like to keep my classes small, so that i can devote maximum attention to my students. So, let's keep it at a limit of 8. Let's get the ball rolling people!

1) Ivan T
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

upzzzz for a dedicated and friendly instructor!!!

5631751_27db4efea9.jpg

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

5631738_ac8fe57530.jpg

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

5631692_d1760df923.jpg

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

5631719_9c6c1fe415.jpg

Fuji S3Pro, Nikon 18-70 AFS

5631674_4e2de5833f.jpg

Fuji S3Pro, Nikon 18-70 AFS

For those who would like to see work taken by my students, please click on this link: Gallery of student's work Photographs above are included in the same set as well.

I started dabbling with cameras at the age of 15 when i was in ACS. As a photographer for the school, i had free reign of the campus with the permission to shoot whatever i wanted, whenever i wanted. So, you'd see me whipping out a camera whenever i saw a photo opportunity. I'd spend my weekends in the school's makeshift photo lab ( i say "makeshift" because of its raw design and old equipment), which was basically a converted storeroom with its windows painted black to block out light. The door way was overlaid with old drapes from the school hall to "light-proof" the entrance. I remember the enlarger (something which we use to print photographs with) being huge, rusty, and resembling the hair processors you get at salons. The school's budget wasn't great for the photography club, so it was common practice for us to dig into our weekly allowance to stock up on paper and chemicals. Despite looking like they came from last century, the equipment worked.. albeit not as well as they did when new. Printing our own photographs in the darkroom was one of the most satisfying experiences. Having a picture turn out on paper was like magic to us, and you'd see our faces gleaming with delight... cause the shot of the pretty teacher turned out pretty okay!

I bought my first camera, a Nikon F401s in 1989. It wasn't the top of the crop model, but it meant the world to me. I still have the camera with me after all these years, and it still takes fantastic pictures. Armed with my camera and one lens, i'd find ways and means to picture things from different perspective. I always believed (and still do) that in order to take a picture of a chair, you don't HAVE to take a picture of the chair. When a person starts off in photography, it isn't easy finding your style. You can't decide on one single thing to take, and always end up trying to perform too many miracles with only one spell. So i'd spend my free time spying on everything, taking landscapes, people, animals, etc etc.

I carried my hobby over to my pre-university days, and did photography for the school magazine as well. Things got more serious now, as pre-u events required more skill and knowledge. I took pictures for the standard National Day kind of events and did shots for the school's presentation of "The Little Mermaid". It was at this time that i learned my first lesson: Always check that you load your film properly. One of the film rolls i took was not exposed, causing me to lose precious shots. I was devastated, but i took that as a learning experience. These days, with the newer cameras, you can't take pictures if your film doesn't load properly.

My usage of photography came to a grinding halt when i enlisted for NS. No time to take pictures, no energy to take photographs, no money to take photographs. My camera went on sabbatical for the 2yrs i was in NS, and i only began using it again when i left for Canada to attend university. Photography overseas is so very different from taking pictures in Singapore. People are more camera friendly, landscapes look more impressive, and there's more variety in subject matter. I didn't join any club in university, since i had to give priority to my coursework first before spending time on photography. During my vacation period, however, i took advantage of the road trips and wonderful landscapes to practice and perfect my photography skills. I'd check out magazines and try to create similar shots with the local scenery, or use someone's birthday as an excuse to capture the moment.

After graduating from university, i returned to Singapore and got a job at an exhibitions company. Within a few months, i was struggling to find happiness in what i was doing. While browsing through the papers one day, i read about people who turned their passion into a career. I decided that i had enough of chasing the Singapore dream, and quit my job. I started doing freelance jobs for a professional photographer, who brought me to a higher level in photography. I still work with him every now and then, and conduct classes during my spare time teaching photography to those wanting to pick up the passion.

It was then that i discovered a love for portraiture. I love people. I study their faces, look for bad angles, check out the lighting effects on the different skin tones and facial features. Everyone's face started looking more like the mountains and streams, with valleys and ridges that created interesting shadows and beautiful highlights. The greatest accomplishment for me, is the ability to capture a person's face in its natural states. We all convey our moods with body language, and transmit senses through the use of numerous facial muscles to convey the message. Pain, anger, happiness, love, boredom, shock, laughter etc... can be shown in great detail without the need for speech. Power to the picture.

With weddings, there are so many things happening on that day. The variety of subject matter gives me an opportunity to look for the minor details in life that people have forgotten about. The picture frame with the built-in clock, the shoes that they bought for the day, or the teddy bear that the bride received during their courtship; these are the things that tell a story of two people who met, fell in love, and are now facing a turning point in their lives. It is my aim to remind them of the day the page was turned in the book. I hope that my clients will browse through their wedding photos, and hear the laughter, smell the perfume and taste the champagne once again. Photographs are timeless moments that allow us to reflect on our past, and remind us of where we came from.. lest we forget. Pictures can only come alive through the reflection of light, and the way we interpret that light.

I hope to touch people with my love for photography, and cherish every chance for me to impart my knowledge to those keen on picking up the art. I may not have my work shown in galleries, nor have i participated in competitions. What i do have, is a big heart, a lot of soul, experience in events/wedding photography, and about 60 VERY satisfied and happy customers since i began teaching. I've just been appointed as an instructor for the Anglo-Chinese School (I) Photographic Society, and hope to contribute more in my classes here.

Upzzz :bsmilie:

Mar 19, 2005 (2pm - 6pm)
Apr 02, 2005 (5pm - 9pm)
Apr 9, 2005 (10am - 2pm)

1) Ivan T
2) Peter
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

For those of you who are unsure about what the course entails, and how i go about conducting it, please feel free to contact me at 8125-4625. I'll answer any questions you have regarding my classes. :)

Basic Photography, as simple as it may sound, is the most important part of photography. How you master your basic photography knowledge will affect your enjoyment of this fullfilling hobby. Doesn't matter whether it is the interest in equipment, or the passion for creating a good photography. What's most important is that you bring with you the committment and perseverance.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

uppzzz for a gd course

Status
Not open for further replies.