Red Thread & Fighting Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that it's rather awkward that they released both dramas at the same time. They hyped up our expectations for both dramas and ended up, we as a general public/audience felt 'cheated' and disappointed at one of the dramas over the other because of the lack of standards in the show.

Fighting spider works because of their story plot (Everyone's going back into the retro era - Nyonyas, 60s etc.) plus their cinematography, location choice was beautiful. It gave the actual film cinematic feel. Whereas Red thread is like a typical Chinese 8 drama wannabe in English. The lighting for most of the indoor scenes are flat, dead and utterly boring. The story plot was beyond reality to the point where the suspension of belief comes in. Adrian Pang's acting wasn't too bad but I can't say for the rest, especially Aileen Tan. Because she comes from a Chinese-speaking drama background, her speech annoys me greatly and made me cringe the moment she says her lines.

Despite the flaws, I'm at least grateful that for once, Mediacorp actually came up with something 'decent' for their local dramas.

Wah... those cinematographers are my senior's if u say they are bad than i'm worse but we don't shoot flat period ... think 12 hrs a day 3 locations and 10 scenes minimum... btw target audience for RT is retiree's they are the 1's wif viewership power not 20's or 30's viewership... and think bout studio settings , audio post , costume , props and all other cost factor . handheld's not 4 red thread coz it is ala days of our lives Iagine Days Of Our Lives Handheld... retirees will go dizzy...

Hey Faiz...are you the Faiz i think you are? heh.

Guess who am i? :)

How do I solve this problem?

Saw another chiobu in the latest Fighting Spiders trailer.

:lovegrin:

Director: ok lets shoot this scene hurry!

DP: Yes sir! Actor A please sit on this side.. and get ready to say your lines

*DP sets the camera up to frame Actor A*

*Grip does his job and take 3 huge light to flood the set so that there is no shadows*

DP: Ok! I'm ready, go ahead

Director: Say your lines! in 3.. 2.. 1.. ACTION!.

Actor A: ya da ya da ya da...

Director: Cut!! Ok Lets shoot the opposite now!

They do the same exact setup, and the same simple framing for the other actor.

Director: Cut! ok lets shoot the ending scene where Actor B walks out and it's a wrap!

Da da!... here we have a typical sitcom production.

This is *scary* accurate. I just did a spot for a mediacorp channel 8 drama and wow, this is really what they do. They have one camera on a tripod, and two racks of fluorescent light tubes on stands. So when it's one actors turn to speak, he gets two racks of lights on his face from two angles, AND they have these metal reflector sheets taped onto styrofoam board that they use to reflect on more light and fill in the gaps.

And that's it! So, maximum light from 3 sources (2 direct 1 reflected) one stationary camera, ya da ya da ya da, boom, hurry up so we can get done and go home!

Status
Not open for further replies.