Red Dot Spotted

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
Recently spot a bright red dot in photo I took. I assume it is the sensor issue, beacuse it is fix in same location in all photo and will be more obvious in darker scence. Thinking of bringing it down to NSC to fix it up. But was held back (think twice) as I heard some negative comment from NSC technical service recently (they made thing worest than better). And I dont know where to go other then NSC, are those negative encounter a minority of the crowd. or generally NSC arent so good after all.?

P.S. Camera still within warranty peroid.

I thought your options are pretty clear. If you can live with the dot, then there's no issue isn't it? If you have to get it fixed, do you have a choice?

In any case, NSC had been ok. I sent in my D3 for sensor cleaning. Got it back with a clean sensor (and viewfinder, which I did not expect them to clean).

Since your camera still has warranty, then just let NSC handle the issue.
Just check that the camera is in proper condition after receiving the camera.

anyway i would rather trust NSC than other 3rd party service.
of course, i have yet to try out other 3rd party service.

obviously you can't send it to other camera brand service center.. :bsmilie:

anyway, just send in for remapping, if not done properly, just let them know and they redo it for you.

Some camera manufacturers have in-camera sensor re-mapping function, whereby the user can re-map sensor when required. But not on Nikon DSLRs. You have to send to NSC for a sensor re-mapping.

Having said that, there is no gurantee that the hot spot will not come back.

what is the typical cost of doing a sensor re-map at NSC?

Should be in the region of ~S$80, you can call to enquire. Had a bad experience with them last month. Was preparing for a trip and found a few hot pixels, and wanted to remove them urgently.

Called up NSC and was quoted an additional 50% charge for "premium service" to remap the sensor on the same day. Took a day off and rushed down, only the be rejected saying the technicians were too busy on that day. ;(

if bright red dot on all pic take viewed on pc, it may just need to re programme the sensor only.

sensor cleaning only for dust which shows as black dots etc on pic.

ok,

have ANYONE here got their hot pixel removed successfully? and if so, what model and when?

I know for one, NSC could not remove hot pixel 2 years back when I send my D700 in....

something so elementary to me... I mean my old camera can do it by itself....

Hi, can I ask your send to NSC for service will be take how long and price? I helping my friend for asking here.
Thanks.

I called NSC and tell them the bright red dot issue on my camera and the lady said it will be better to bring it down to check, and when I ask shouldnt it be hot pixel issue and can NSC solve the problem, I got the standard answer "bring it down let our guys check first then comment"

Sounds not so pro to me. and after reading alan post, I am having doubt that it can be solved. If so I chose to live with it than to jeopardise my camera and/or wasting time to go down as I had to take leave inorder to do so (also it is in CBD area).

Lastly I would like to know any bro here has had the same issue and got it resolved at NSC. If yes what is the charges and time frame involved.?

I would than decide on going down or not.

Your camera is within warranty period. You don't want to send in to NSC and you let the time slip by. You might as well buy the camera without warranty? Grey sets can save you some money...

No service centre get excellent votes everyday everytime. You can't possibly please everyone. From my experiences, NSC is really good and friendly and fast. And no matte what, NSC is still your best way to rectify the issue. So why wait?

Unless you can live with your red dot.

.... considering the number of nikon users here, no one successfully did pixel mapping for the nikon DSLR b4?

I do agree you should send it down and report back. I am sure quite a number of nikon users would be interested in whether this common issue can be fixed.

Last edited:
I will go to NSC for my problem. will keep posted here.

Hi all,

I send down my camera for repair for hot pixel and they told me the price is $107 plus GST. Is that normal? They even say may need to replace CCD if the need arise at $400+. From what i read in the forum here, i think is a hot pixel that's all. Is it so serious that i have to change the CCD?

Hi all,

I send down my camera for repair for hot pixel and they told me the price is $107 plus GST. Is that normal? They even say may need to replace CCD if the need arise at $400+. From what i read in the forum here, i think is a hot pixel that's all. Is it so serious that i have to change the CCD?

I think it is better to trust the quote from NSC as prices fluctuates. What ppl pay for in the past may not be relevant now...

Maybe you can ask them if need to replace CCD and you decide not to replaced, will there be any charges?

I had a similar issue with TS. Red dot (and blue ones) in photos very visible even at 25% magnification.

Sent my cam down last Friday, received call and collected on Thurs.
Considering Wed was a PH, total took about 3 working days?

Advise fellow users before going down to store some photos with the visible hot pixel(s), let the staff see(and most prolly she will retain a copy of that photo) to highlight the problem clearly as apparently the counter staff are not very well versed in this regard.

Btw, mine was under warranty so no charges involved. And FWIW, sensor cleaning is $21.40 incl GST.

I had a similar issue with TS. Red dot (and blue ones) in photos very visible even at 25% magnification.

Sent my cam down last Friday, received call and collected on Thurs.
Considering Wed was a PH, total took about 3 working days?

Advise fellow users before going down to store some photos with the visible hot pixel(s), let the staff see(and most prolly she will retain a copy of that photo) to highlight the problem clearly as apparently the counter staff are not very well versed in this regard.

Btw, mine was under warranty so no charges involved. And FWIW, sensor cleaning is $21.40 incl GST.
huh sensor cleaning for 21.4?? including gst... usually is $25 excluding GST.