Red-breasted Parakeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

overdodo

Mar 19, 2006
After a night of thunderstorms, I decided to venture into this slightly forested area near my flat. Previously I've spotted a fast flying green bird, but was unable to see it stopped anywhere, but today I was fortunate to have seen a whole bunch of them (4 of them, 2 big, 2 small)

Parrot1.jpg

overcast morning, used flash, ended up having a florescent bird

Parrot5.jpg

headless parrot. actually it was looking below, then it swooped down to another branch.

Parrot2.jpg

one of the better shots

Parrot3.jpg

parrot with a "flower"

Parrot4.jpg

parrot eats the unopened "flower" instead

(this "flower" is the fruit ? The flower itself is encased inside the unopened fruit ? Fig plant ?)

The entire family was feasting on this plant for a good 20-30mins

cheers

Hi,
Great sighting! anyone any idea what flower/ fruit that is? :dunno:
Btw Overdodo,
Is the parrot in pic no.4 proposing to you?:lovegrin:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thanks for your comments. I think i was too excited that it was offering me a flower that my pictures turned out abit soft ha... They were pretty oblivious to me being around as long as I stood under shelter, in the open, they were pretty jittery.

I think it is Simpoh Air, with its bright red star like fruits. It was fruiting and the parakeets were the only one eating them (those unopened ones !). Also, they picked out bunches of these unopened ones and were walking around the trunk of trees with the fruits in their mouth.

Come to think of it..... are ALL of them Red-breasted Parakeet ?
#1 has a black beak and no red/pink breast..

cheers

yes... i believe all are from the same family same breed, the colour probably differentiate them from male and female... great shot..!

Simpoh Air? these plants are shrub, these parrots actually came down for the seeds?:think:

lucky you, i hardly see them so low, always way up near the tree tops...,
couldn't get a good shot at them.., a bunch of them always sleep at some tree tops
near loyang way..;)

cheers

Ah, I've heard loyang way houses a few of them. I spotted them around dover/buona vista area. Perhaps the recent construction of the circle line drove them out of the jungle

I was quite surprised to see them actually. I've seen a big green bird flyign with a loud "krack" sound lately, but wasn't able to see it stopped till yesterday. Today I tried my luck, but only managed to see it flying away.

The Simpoh Air has yellow flowers and the red "flowers" are its fruits, suppositely with succulent flesh that is "irresistible" according to a site I read.

thanks for all your comments. will strive harder to get better shots

cheers !

nice shots! good action n expression capture! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.