Recommended Camera Shop in JB

Question is, how much u trust the shop to do that...

trusted in the since that they are authorized reseller of NIKON Malaysia.
Just check the Nikon Malaysia for the lists :)

Dear all,

The other day i just happened to travel to JB to try to get cameras and lenses. To my surprise that some shops in JB as mentioned in this thread have no different from some of the Ah Bengs Shops in SLS.:eek:

Some points to take note:

1) They are selling original stuff and grey stocks, therefore if want to buy cameras there, do take note on the warranty and accessories. Better to buy the original / major item from them, avoid any offer for any accessories at all cost. And check the warranty / box of the item, intended to buy. Some sub standard items are sold in premium price there! For my case, I tried to get a D700 there, asked whether is it a local (MY) set, was confirmed by the salesperson. However, when I checked the warranty card and the box, it's stated it is a HK set. Well, if I was told is "grey" set, I can still understand that but they are selling the "grey set" with local price? :nono: Maybe some shops tries to get quick bucks as D700 is having shortage now. Also, I note that (as I was offered for) a lcd protector offered by them is not as good as selling in SG but the price is much higher.
Please note that, I do not think they will entertain any exchange once items were sold maybe due to their breach of their promises.

2) One of the salesmen I met, kind of rude and gave baseless comments. In fact, it 's not one, but two. Some of their salesperson are unprofessional and do not know anything about cameras/ lenses. They get impatient shortly after I enquired some of the stuffs and looks unreluctant to serve. E.g.: Salesperson A: "If you don't believe the price I quoted is the cheapest, you may take this paper and go asking around, if there is lower, I will knock down by a car!" Salesperson B: "This is confirm an authentical local set, you young people always so suspicious!"

3) Becareful that the set they selling is display set. It might not necessary the display set that we always encounter in most of the shops. It's that let say they have a A set. It depends on how many consumers tried the set before the A set is sold. If it's lucky only 2-3 customers have tried the camera and shutter count sure is not "0". According to them is normal. It's totally different from the "display set" concept. However, if they do not want to bear the cost for display set, I think at certain point, they will pack the display set back and sell it as a brand new set.

These are my encounter for some of the potential buyers in JB. So be careful if buyers would like to take their own risks.

In addition to this, a friendly reminder you need to check
1. Make sure SHUTTER count is zero
2. Date and time is not already set
3. Serial number of the camera is the same with the serial number in the box
4. Warranty card must have a local distributor ( Distributor : Nikon (Malaysia))....
5. Accessories stated in box or manual must be present all.

The rest, just do your assignment :), or maybe we can wait the others to give some additional info on buying cam in JB.

In addition to this, a friendly reminder you need to check
1. Make sure SHUTTER count is zero
2. Date and time is not already set
3. Serial number of the camera is the same with the serial number in the box
4. Warranty card must have a local distributor ( Distributor : Nikon (Malaysia))....
5. Accessories stated in box or manual must be present all.

The rest, just do your assignment :), or maybe we can wait the others to give some additional info on buying cam in JB.

Quite true. However, some cameras might need to have laptop with adequate software to check. And be careful also some shops can always perform clean reset.

Also, just my friendly reminder, thread viewers please check the post count of the member posting in this thread.

Quite true. However, some cameras might need to have laptop with adequate software to check. And be careful also some shops can always perform clean reset.

Also, just my friendly reminder, thread viewers please check the post count of the member posting in this thread.

yeah, agree. so if you want to sure everything is a new set, buy to NIKON store only. Higher price but at least you have a peace of mind...:)
Cheers!

Berkins said:
Yup, if it's just a minor problem, u may consider getting it repaired at Singapore Nikon workshops if the cost is low and not worth the trip up and down from KL.

I thought NSC is at times square in KL.

thinking of heading down to jb, me too cam shop.
Anyone has directions on what bus goes there? any of these departs from jurong east interchange?
also, how do you all deal there? will paying in cash give u a better price? or do you all just pay by card?

thanks!

zshui said:
thinking of heading down to jb, me too cam shop.
Anyone has directions on what bus goes there? any of these departs from jurong east interchange?
also, how do you all deal there? will paying in cash give u a better price? or do you all just pay by card?

thanks!

U can take 170 to jb custom then change cab.. Should cost u no more the 20rm.. Cash is better without 2%.. but if ur taking public u got a high risk of being tax unless u dun bother to bring the box back

hello there, i went to jusco mee too photo today and they quote me D7000 $3050. Do u think that angsana plaza quote would be better ?

autumnbrazzer said:
hello there, i went to jusco mee too photo today and they quote me D7000 $3050. Do u think that angsana plaza quote would be better ?

Shops in Angsana might give better offer..

same quote... enquired before.. finally settle for my D7000 with foto berlin..

lastly ask youeself is it worth travelling from SG-Johor Jaya then SG-Ansanga then found quote is about the same or slightly expensive then go back to Johor Jaya

is it safe to buy sigma lens in JB? are they offering a better price?

mackie8 said:
is it safe to buy sigma lens in JB? are they offering a better price?

You can ask the shops but if you buy there, make sure you get one without focusing issues. Calibration at Sigma Singapore is $150 if no warranty.

Hi. I called Foto Berlian this morning and they quoted me RM2900 for the D7000.Will I be taxed when I bring it into singapore? Any tips to avoid this? Also what bus to take going to Plaza Angsana. TIA

Hi. I called Foto Berlian this morning and they quoted me RM2900 for the D7000.Will I be taxed when I bring it into singapore? Any tips to avoid this? Also what bus to take going to Plaza Angsana. TIA

u might and might not be tax depend on how you pack your stuffs... take a cab to Angsana better

I will be driving in to buy so how could i bring back the golden box without getting tax?

FYI, Mee too , photo berlian and photo kem at plaza Angsana and photoken at city square run out of stock for nikon D7000. They told me stocks will most likely come in Feb

Anybody know if go plaza angsana shop to buy flash. I pay by sgd currency will the conversion rate be same as the market or slowly lower?

ducky88 said:
Anybody know if go plaza angsana shop to buy flash. I pay by sgd currency will the conversion rate be same as the market or slowly lower?

There's a money changer at plaza angsana.