Recommendations on Light Meters wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saha

May 8, 2004
I am looking to buy a light meter, and would appreciate recommendations from you experienced folks. I am used to spot metering using the built-in spot meter on my SLR.

hi,

if you're using a relatively new SLR with spot meter functions I think you won't really need a seperate light meter. On the other hand, if you're doing a considerable amount of studio work, a light meter would come in handy.

Personally I'm using a Polaris light meter, it has ambient, spot as well as flash meter in built. Price wise it's relatively cheaper as compared to the Sekonic and Minolta ones. If you've got no need for all the special features then I think the Polaris one would be a good one to get.

Hope this helps.

Saha said:
I am looking to buy a light meter, and would appreciate recommendations from you experienced folks. I am used to spot metering using the built-in spot meter on my SLR.

Thanks. The problem I face with the SLR spot meter is that its angle is too large, and its rather unwieldy to use a camera for metering. What are the "special" features of Sekonic / Minolta versus Polaris?

ian.low said:
hi,

if you're using a relatively new SLR with spot meter functions I think you won't really need a seperate light meter. On the other hand, if you're doing a considerable amount of studio work, a light meter would come in handy.

Personally I'm using a Polaris light meter, it has ambient, spot as well as flash meter in built. Price wise it's relatively cheaper as compared to the Sekonic and Minolta ones. If you've got no need for all the special features then I think the Polaris one would be a good one to get.

Hope this helps.

U mean Polaris is not as accurate as Sekonic/minolta??
i been using polaris for 3 yrs,the metering has not fail me once,either in studio or outdoor.

kex said:
U mean Polaris is not as accurate as Sekonic/minolta??
i been using polaris for 3 yrs,the metering has not fail me once,either in studio or outdoor.

Good for you lah. If kex say it is good, it must be good lah.

Sekonic has better value for the given features( More features less cost)
Simple thing like backlit on LCD, built-in reflected light reading as compare the Minolta. But lousy service support, any spolit meter will be sent to Japan for fixing.

Minolta has better service support and resale value.Local service centre
Only Minolta and Sekonic has 1% spot meter

for minolta, the higher end model has the built in spot, while the lower end ,need to purchase the attachment

tom_lim said:
Hi folks. mind sharing where abd how much you paid for the Polaris light meter? looking for one that can do spot metering ........ thks .....tOM

check with MScolor...recently purchased one with fellow fotog.
abt $330

Hi tom,
there is 2 model i know of that can do spot metering,the polaris 2 which i own,can do spot metering without an attachment.$280 Ruby
there is another one with a dedicated spot meter attachment selling at $320 Ms color

zekai said:
sekonic, minolta are more accurate/ expensive

How do you measure accuracy?
Have you tested the diff models?
If not...do not generalise :nono:
If you did..kindly share with us the results to enable us to make a wiser choice on our next purchase :think:

fantom said:
How do you measure accuracy?
Have you tested the diff models?
If not...do not generalise :nono:
If you did..kindly share with us the results to enable us to make a wiser choice on our next purchase :think:

i did compare and found the reading to be off from the minolta and an old sekonic we had. (abt .4) thought of posting the findings but then it was just my opinion against his so no point making it into an arguement. also it was possible the polaris i compared with was a bad copy... so many variables.

conclusion: the result to me is just my own opinion. defintely not the most strigent experiment under controlled condition.

and since he (kex) is so convinced it is totally accurate, i respect his opinion but do not take it that others have to follow his opinion.

value for money wise, no doubt polaris is worth it, considering the minolta spot meter cost over $700.

how cheap can a light meter go?
no need to measure incident light or spot metering

zekai said:
i did compare and found the reading to be off from the minolta and an old sekonic we had. (abt .4) thought of posting the findings but then it was just my opinion against his so no point making it into an arguement. also it was possible the polaris i compared with was a bad copy... so many variables.

conclusion: the result to me is just my own opinion. defintely not the most strigent experiment under controlled condition.

and since he (kex) is so convinced it is totally accurate, i respect his opinion but do not take it that others have to follow his opinion.

value for money wise, no doubt polaris is worth it, considering the minolta spot meter cost over $700.

chey...sigh...anything oso u said one... :faint:

Status
Not open for further replies.