Recommendations For My First DSLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing 5D and D300? Isn't that comparing between apples and pears? I would recommend you take 5D and test it against D700.

maybe you might wanna tell the users of d300 over in dpreview about that...the user review of d300, some of them have 5d system as well...so i guess thats where the complain comes from.

That said, it is true that Canon tend to give better noise control and retains more detail at high ISO as compared to Nikon cameras. That is 1 of the triumph card Canon holds.

too bad cant have the best of both worlds... hehe ;p

Yes if you have the budget, then D80 will obviously be a better choice than D60. However, it is not as if D60 can't take a good photos. You may need to pay a bit more for lenses with internal motor, if you want AF.
AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX is very good lens :thumbsup: It's cheap, it's constrasty, it's light and it has a very usable zoom range. You can get a 70-200mm F2.8 to add in, effectively you'll get 18-200. Finally the lens has a subject-distance meter. Most kit lens today don't have this anymore. You can save money and buy a 2nd hand lens.

will head down and ask how much to get the body and that lens. looks like time to redo my budget...

maybe you might wanna tell the users of d300 over in dpreview about that...the user review of d300, some of them have 5d system as well...so i guess thats where the complain comes from.
Oh well, maybe they did that because the pricing of both cams are similar?
Moral of the story: Take internet reviews with a pinch of salt.

back from another round of asking for quotations... seems like only john 3:16 salesman actually bothered to talk to me(quite nice I must say, take out the D60 let me try both lens and did explain about the whole AFS lens thing)... guess I really look like I got no money type maybe cos i was wearing my jersey and jeans.

Also went dry box hunting, looks like its either 30L a $118 or 26L at $98. I did saw one smaller one at challenger but there was no price tag and no one bothered to talk to me also. Somehow for now I seriously dun think I need just a big dry box(looks like everything can fit into the top half of the 30L one) and I rather spend the money on a flash light which will set me back another $340.

Looks like my 1.5k budget is gone...

Wow you're still deciding? I bought a 450D already. In the end, it won't really matter! You'll love your new camera and might just stick with that brand forever. I spent about 2.2k, for 450D, a drybox (actually the bargain city deal), and a 100 mm macro 2nd hand. I think the BC deal is pretty good for people like us who don't have any equipment at all. The old birds'll will find the freebies pointless since they have tonnes already, and prefer the savings the more normal shops like AP and CP have (about 100 in savings cash). Remember the quotes always are before GST. BC also delivers to your house so you don't have to lug the drybox back.

I used both D40 and 450D and seriously, they are about the same. For peace of mind when buying lenses, you can get 450D. But it's more ex. Live view is alright, today I used it when shooting something real low and it proved invaluable. If you intend to take ground level pictures, LV can be real good.

Just bravely make a decision, and don't look back.

wah havent add gst? ok thats bad... cos i told the salesman what my budget is and he never mentioned anything about the gst just adding up the prices he quoted me as if its the final price... looks like my budget is gone liaos... haha... only getting the camera on monday(the only day I actually have the time to take my time get it.)

get the 450D and yr problem will be solve, unless u dun spend much ,and dun mind owning a castrated D40/D40X/D60 so be it
otherwise jump straight to D80.

personally , i would recommend canon due to their much better customer services over the other...if i'm to choose between the both

Thanks for everyone's advise and suggestion, I finally decided to break the bank and got myself the D60 kit and the SB600. Cant wait to go shooting once I get my fyp down this week :D

Thanks for everyone's advise and suggestion, I finally decided to break the bank and got myself the D60 kit and the SB600. Cant wait to go shooting once I get my fyp down this week :D

Congrats - remember not to let buyer's remorse prevent you from taking photos and enjoying your hobby.

Hah! Were you the chap in green at John 3:16 yesterday? :p

Hah! Were you the chap in green at John 3:16 yesterday? :p

oh no i got stalked... haha... yeah the one who was thinking very very hard to get the SB600 or not to get it... ;p

Heh. I only saw you when you were paying up. Just that it was Sam talking about you making a decision over the SB600 that tipped me off. I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you the Canon 450D. Enjoy your new purchases!

Heh. I only saw you when you were paying up. Just that it was Sam talking about you making a decision over the SB600 that tipped me off. I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you the Canon 450D. Enjoy your new purchases!

Sam? was that guy handling my purchase or the other guy? Wanted to get the 450D but its way off my budget... already thinking how to find the extra cash due to me spending above my budget...

hee! I think I saw you guys there too! I bought a Digicabi there yesterday! :p Indeed John 3:16 is famous here!

Sam is the Chinese guy. I have no idea who handled your purchase. As per John 3:16 standard, it's a bit of a cluster**** in there.

Sam is the Chinese guy. I have no idea who handled your purchase. As per John 3:16 standard, it's a bit of a cluster**** in there.

oh okies... so what did he talk about me and the SB600? one reason I went there to get my stuff was that even though its crowded in there with people who look like they will spend more money than me, someone will still make the effort to talk to me. Not like some other shops I wun mention. See me and some tourist, talk to the tourist and ignore me. Some dun even bother about me when the shop is empty...

Guess being a student somehow means I wun spend money... anyway need to make a trip back to get a cleaning kit. Totally forgot about that... :rolleyes:

Haha congrats on your new D60 + SB600!

Have fun shooting. Forget about other shops treated you, now it's time to get good pictures coming :D

I just overheard him saying something like, "You decided to buy the SB600!"

Haha congrats on your new D60 + SB600!

Have fun shooting. Forget about other shops treated you, now it's time to get good pictures coming :D

yup going to clark quay tmr night to see if i can get some nice shots of the place.

I just overheard him saying something like, "You decided to buy the SB600!"

haha icic... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.