Recommendation for Digital SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

son_lin

May 4, 2004
Heyo all!
Would appreciate any advice for a good digital SLR for prosumer.. Am thinking of getting it as a gift, but I'm not too well-versed with digicams cept for the general specs like megapix and digi/optical zoom so need help from the experts here :)

For starters, i'm looking at the Canon PowerShot S1 IS VS the Panasonic DMC-FZ10K. Any reviews? Or recommendations for other models/brands with a technology similar to the canon digic or panasonic lumix ones? Much thanks in advance!

son_lin said:
Heyo all!
Would appreciate any advice for a good digital SLR for prosumer.. Am thinking of getting it as a gift, but I'm not too well-versed with digicams cept for the general specs like megapix and digi/optical zoom so need help from the experts here :)

For starters, i'm looking at the Canon PowerShot S1 IS VS the Panasonic DMC-FZ10K. Any reviews? Or recommendations for other models/brands with a technology similar to the canon digic or panasonic lumix ones? Much thanks in advance!

check thru the forum threads, or go to dpreview.com or steves-digicams.com to get reviews on cams. :)

son_lin said:

Errr... those are prosumer digicams, not DSLRs. Are you interested in prosumer cameras (e.g. Nikon 8700, Sony DSC828, Minolta A2 etc.) or DSLRs (e.g. Nikon D70, Canon 300D)?

It's really subjective. Different people look for different things. If your friend has a brand preference in cameras, get that brand.

Also, you have to consider your budget.

son_lin said:
Heyo all!

Hmmmmm ..... powershot and DMC -FZ10 is not even DSLR .......

I would look into Minolta A2 if I were you ...... All these three are of similar pricing ..... similar technology too ......

Starter for Digital SLRs are like Canon 300D and Nikon D70 in the range S$1800 - S$2200. If you're not really sure you need them then consider prosumer level Digicams. My recommendation would be Minolta A1, best value for your money.

If you want a long Zoom then go for FZ-10. IMO it's image quality better than S1 IS.

son_lin said:
Heyo all!

Hey, the Powershot S1 IS and Z10 are prosumers, not DSLRs.
A entry level DSLR (like Canon EOS 300D body without lens) will cost you about $1700++.

If it's a gift, you must be rich... :D

maybe she is buying for her bf. do you know which brand he prefer? canon, nikon, minolta or Sony?

Hey guys, MScolour is selling Eos 300D kit plus 55-200mm len +canon Cp200 prt at $2150 (inc.GST)

New promotion. Can consider as a gift (for me!!!)

haha oops dang told u i'm an idiot when it comes to camera can't even differentiate btw dslr and prosumer :embrass:
guess to be more accurate now i'm looking at prosumer cams rather than dslrs.. :p

and i'm not rich la juz been scrimping and saving to get him a special gift that he wants and needs haha sorry peeps and thanx for your recommendations! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.