Recommendation for a first time DSLR buyer.

Which DSLR would you guys choose

Results are only viewable after voting.

I'm not following the discussion here, bit for newbie/starter, do not go for so called entry level dslr, you will regret within days. Go straight to d90 second hand body and a cheap lens, let say 50mm 1.8d, you will never look back.

what kind of sorcery is this!

playhard said:
I'm not following the discussion here, bit for newbie/starter, do not go for so called entry level dslr, you will regret within days. Go straight to d90 second hand body and a cheap lens, let say 50mm 1.8d, you will never look back.

A lot to dispute here...
Plenty of happy entry-level cam users around.
D90 + 50/1.8D also plenty of things to be itchy abt upgrading :)

Never look back = always looking thru VF? :)

what kind of sorcery is this!

Following playhard's logic, I'd say go straight to Hasselblad and never look back! :D

A lot to dispute here...
Plenty of happy entry-level cam users around.
D90 + 50/1.8D also plenty of things to be itchy abt upgrading :)

Never look back = always looking thru VF? :)

I'd agree. There are many advantages that a D3100 has over a D7000 or D800 when it comes to beginners. Fewer confusing buttons, more "help modes", lighter weight, lower body costs giving the hobbyist more spare funds for lens upgrades in the future (of course I'm talking about mortals like myself, not celestial elites who earn millions a year - in which case just buy an M9+noctilux AND a Hasselblad+full suite of lenses), etc.

As much as many would disagree with me and groan when I say this, I still firmly believe it's the biggest variable is the photographer, followed by the lenses, and then the body.

Following playhard's logic, I'd say go straight to Hasselblad and never look back! :D

I'd agree. There are many advantages that a D3100 has over a D7000 or D800 when it comes to beginners. Fewer confusing buttons, more "help modes", lighter weight, lower body costs giving the hobbyist more spare funds for lens upgrades in the future (of course I'm talking about mortals like myself, not celestial elites who earn millions a year - in which case just buy an M9+noctilux AND a Hasselblad+full suite of lenses), etc.

As much as many would disagree with me and groan when I say this, I still firmly believe it's the biggest variable is the photographer, followed by the lenses, and then the body.

hahaha a lot of folks who can well afford to buy the camera stuff we can only dream of, have neither the interest nor the time to pursue photography seriously. Thus they are perfectly happy with their compact cameras or entry-level DSLRs for the occasional snap.

Agree with your assessment of "photographer --> lenses --> camera" :)