Recommendation for 4/5 mega pixel camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjack

Jan 15, 2005
I am looking at a point and shoot camera, mainly used for vacations and family outings. Am not someone into manual settings. Besides vacations, I will be looking at taking pictures of aircrafts at Changi and also into taking pictures of my marine fishes. Here is my additional requirement and perhaps someone can give me a good recommendation. There are so many models out there and reading all the reviews can be confusing.

Budget: Max $800
Optical zoom: Min 6x
Minimum red eye effect
Not Bulky. ( hence ruling out Panasonic FZ5 sizes)
Most importantly clear picture quality.

The models I have been recommended are:
Nikon Coolpix 4800
Panasonic LZ2
Casio P505 ( 5x optical zoom)
Olympus C770

I suggest Olympus C770. It gives a sharp picture and besides it has a ED element in the lens. I am very happy with Olympus camera as it can take bright and good picture in low light condition without having the flash on. This camera come with two flash bulbs, with many type of flashing mode.

cjack said:
I am looking at a point and shoot camera, mainly used for vacations and family outings. Am not someone into manual settings. Besides vacations, I will be looking at taking pictures of aircrafts at Changi and also into taking pictures of my marine fishes. Here is my additional requirement and perhaps someone can give me a good recommendation. There are so many models out there and reading all the reviews can be confusing.

Minimum red eye effect

Nikon Coolpix 4800
Panasonic LZ2
Olympus C770
anything more then "5x" optical zoom is definitely bulky due to the Long range zoom.
if u want the size that keep in yr pocket, 3x zoom can only be the answer.

The Olympus C700, with 10 x zoom is not actually bulky. Even something like the Panasonic LZ2 size is fine with me.

The ones I would consider bulky for myself is something like the Panasonic F20.

cjack said:
The Olympus C700, with 10 x zoom is not actually bulky. Even something like the Panasonic LZ2 size is fine with me.

The ones I would consider bulky for myself is something like the Panasonic F20.
Depends on how ppl think that bulky is either cannot put into yr pants/shirt pocket or into a small "handbag".... etc...

Think LZ2 should be the best. 6x zoom and 224g(w/batt). Though I've heard mixed reviews about it. Supposedly average picture quality, video quality is poor.

Casio has less zoom (5x) and is heavier at 275g.
Nikon 4MP has more zoom (8x) and is 295g.
Olympus 4MP, has more zoom (10x) but is a hefty 310g and runs on the more expensive xD-cards. Panasonic FZ5 isn't much bulkier at 326g!

If you don't mind the size and poorer resoulution, I think Nikon is the best. You can always go to the shop and try all the cameras.

The Canon's A510/520 or A95 are good and cheap. Worth checking out!

cjack said:
Minimum red eye effect

Nikon Coolpix 4800
Panasonic LZ2
Olympus C770

If you don't want bulk and minimum red eye effert, do go for Olympus C770 as it is one of the smallest (if not the smallest) 10x optical zoom out there in the market. Plus with a twin flash high above the lens, chances of red eye is minimal. A hot shoe is available for you to mount external flash to really remove any possiblilty of red-eye.

Clear picture quality, I feel all 4 models would not be far off from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.