Recommend good hosting service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to setup my website but would like recommendation on good hosting companies or services. I am also looking for your views on the following:

+ Should I stick to SG based hosting companies or overseas one?
+ Which flavour is better: Unix or Windows?
+ Which hosting services or companies is the most value for money?

TIA!

Hi crazypaladin, my friend provides web hosting himself. Nice package with free forum and etc, 50MB for SGD$50 per year. Details I will ask him to contact you if interested :)

I would recommend that you stick to a Singapore-based web provider. I use IWI and they are very reliable and helpful. No downtime so far and their service is superb. On a working day, they reply quickly to your technical questions.

They provide great deals at low prices. I would recommend Windows servers if you're looking for easy administration, but if you're looking at safety and better deals, Unix servers are better.

I like Dreamhost. They're quite cheap for the basic 4.8 gigs plan.

Pretty reliable so far for me. Few people have bad things to say about them. If you're planning to blog, they have an autoinstaller for Wordpress as well. In fact, I got to know about them from satisfied users in the Wordpress forum.

If you plan to use them, look for discount codes online. Their 2-year plans are the best value for money.

Avoid Globat - clueless tech support, crap **** servers.

BTW, a lot of reviews of webhost quality are 'fixed' by the hosting companies themselves. You need to watch out for this ;-)

crazypaladin said:
Dreamhost seems to be the perfect plan for me... cheap and a lot of disk space and furthermore, the speed is reliable too! Thanks for the recommendation Kahheng!

Make sure you look for discount codes online which can make, say a two year plan extremely cheap. A friend of mine recently paid just US$111 for the 2 year basic plan. I can't remember what code he entered but it's common knowledge that you can find them easily.

Just Google for them.

Try MediaTemple, they host most of the creative portal and site around the world. :)

crazypaladin said:
Should I stick to SG based hosting companies or overseas one?
Location will really depend on where you expect most of your cilents/viewers to be.

crazypaladin said:
Which flavour is better: Unix or Windows?
This is like asking if nikon or canon is better.

crazypaladin said:
Which hosting services or companies is the most value for money?
It would help if you mention more about this website you are intending to create. Expected uptime, security, backup features or etc. If it is a small site for you to upload a few photos and files, you might be spending extra on the rest of these features.

Good comes at a price and it doesnt come cheap. I will recommend skydio.com to you.

As your thread title states, recommend good hosting service, get those which offers reasonable pricing.

Avoid Focushub <www.focushub.com>
They are the worst!

I use Fotki and if like me you want to put up full size photo to store as originals this is for you. Unlimited upload for premium members. I have about 50Gb of data inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.