Recommend a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappez

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Hi all, am now saving up for a DSLR in order to speed up my learning curve and also reduce the cost of film development. I'm looking for a good DSLR preferably one that is Nikon mount as I've the F65 system already. Also prefer one where it has features not found on the F65 like ISO adjustment, grid, spot and center weighted mettering, 3d mettering. Was told by a friend that the fuji S2Pro not bad. Any other recommendations? Budget <$2500. Thanks.:cool:

snappez said:
Hi all, am now saving up for a DSLR in order to speed up my learning curve and also reduce the cost of film development. I'm looking for a good DSLR preferably one that is Nikon mount as I've the F65 system already. Also prefer one where it has features not found on the F65 like ISO adjustment, grid, spot and center weighted mettering, 3d mettering. Was told by a friend that the fuji S2Pro not bad. Any other recommendations? Budget <$2500. Thanks.:cool:

You looking for a new or a used one ? I pretty sure both Nikon D100 and Fuji S2Pro cost more than $2.8k

for ur budget, u can get 2nd hand either a Nikon D100 or Fuji S2 Pro..
both have all the features u named..

szekiat selling a D100.. check it out! :p

oh... n u have to be prepared to fork out another $400 for a 1GB CF card!

Hmm... I see. Looks like I've to save a while longer now. Will consider szekiat offer. Thanks hackie. Beside the D100 and S2Pro, any others? Not too ex.... :)

As the saying goes.. If you have to ask..

There aren't THAT many Nikon mount DSLRs for your consideration after all. Unless you want to consider the old Kodak DCS cameras (please don't).

YSLee said:
As the saying goes.. If you have to ask..

There aren't THAT many Nikon mount DSLRs for your consideration after all. Unless you want to consider the old Kodak DCS cameras (please don't).

Ok, I got your point....don't need to get aggressive. What do you expect, I'm a newbie after all... :sweat: :D

In any case judging from what you guys said about the price of a DSLR, don't think can get one anytime soon. Will consider second hand but not so keen as I've bad experience with second things before. Untill I can get over my phobia of 2nd hand, other wise it may well be my last resort. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :cool:

Second hand stuff is generally fine, especially if you buy it through here.

Thasnk for the assurance YSLee. Will consider. :cool:

I think you don't really need a DSLR to spped up your learning curve. What's wrong with ur F65?

Why not keep the money and spend on film, the pinch will make you learn even faster. :)

espn said:
I think you don't really need a DSLR to spped up your learning curve. What's wrong with ur F65?

Why not keep the money and spend on film, the pinch will make you learn even faster. :)

Hmm... Good point. Basically, there is nothing wrong with my F65. In fact I quite like it that's why I'm still sticking with it. The thing is Whenever I take a shot, after developing it, I forgot how I took it and what setting I used. At least with a DSLR I can instantly see the result and experiment with it on the spot. Beside F65 does not have ISO adjustment. I've to buy film of different ISO to know how each will turn out. That's about the things that spurs me to get a DSLR.:cool:

snappez, I recommend that you take a trip to the camera shop and try out the different cameras prior to making your decision. The S2 Pro and D100 are very good and proven contenders but nothing beats your own perference. Give them a spin and see what you like :)

Feel free to post your questions on the Nikon forum or PM me if you need more info on the D100. :)

snappez said:
Hmm... Good point. Basically, there is nothing wrong with my F65. In fact I quite like it that's why I'm still sticking with it. The thing is Whenever I take a shot, after developing it, I forgot how I took it and what setting I used. At least with a DSLR I can instantly see the result and experiment with it on the spot. Beside F65 does not have ISO adjustment. I've to buy film of different ISO to know how each will turn out.

You got to be vigilant to record the setting you have used. As for the ISO setting, unless you are using self roll, there should be any problem. A minor adjustment can be achived thru the exposure compensation.
Are you talking about pushing/pulling your film?

You might wanna consider F80 if these features is very useful to you and you get spot metering with it.

Since we're on this topic, what do you gys think of the S1pro? It's the D30 of the Nikon mount series right? I don't see much of it traded around here ... any comments?

snappez said:
Hmm... Good point. Basically, there is nothing wrong with my F65. In fact I quite like it that's why I'm still sticking with it. The thing is Whenever I take a shot, after developing it, I forgot how I took it and what setting I used. At least with a DSLR I can instantly see the result and experiment with it on the spot. Beside F65 does not have ISO adjustment. I've to buy film of different ISO to know how each will turn out. That's about the things that spurs me to get a DSLR.:cool:

If you want to learn about exposure, any prosumer digital camera will serve you fine. Yeah, it is not as fast nor as feature ladden as a DSLR, but it will allow you to experiment with exposure, focal lengths, etc, and still allow you to examine the EXIF info later on. The only thing you lose is the interchangeable lens, but that shouldn't affect your learning curve much. A decent camera like the A70 or A80 with all these features will set you back only a few hundred bucks, and serves as a fine backup in case you decide to buy a DSLR one or two years from now.

jermng said:
Since we're on this topic, what do you gys think of the S1pro? It's the D30 of the Nikon mount series right? I don't see much of it traded around here ... any comments?

It was being traded here. In fact, I even saw 2 guys selling it at the same time.

I got mine from the Buy and Sell forum here. :)

Just a note of caution to potential buyers, it is based on the F60 body and is even older than the F65.

It is not able to AF with AF-S lens, only MF. (due to the pin config on the AF-S lens)
It is not able to use VR, since it has only 1 focus point.

The lowest ISO is 320, compared to 200 for D100.

Status
Not open for further replies.