Rechargable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought it of all places at Guardians Pharmacy for I think SGD35.

hi all, I recently received some test results ... they claims that the following Varta rechargeable cells are showing very good performance for Flashlight applications. Don't be misleaded by the 2000mAh ( only ) capacity, the performance is actually much better than those that claims 2500mAh or 2700mAh...

The 15mins charging is also very useful if you are desperate for battery capacity ( especially during the wedding occasions ). If you are frequent flashlight user, I strongly recommend this cells.

57253-201-421.jpg

Just came from Funan. One of the shops was selling Powerex batteries AA 2700mAh 4pcs for about SGD17.80 or close to that. Recyko+ were going for about SGD 19.50 or close to that. It the shop link directly to the escaltor outside.

hi all, I recently received some test results ... they claims that the following Varta rechargeable cells are showing very good performance for Flashlight applications. Don't be misleaded by the 2000mAh ( only ) capacity, the performance is actually much better than those that claims 2500mAh or 2700mAh...
What are you talking about?

If the battery have no problem (like Sanyo Ni-MH 2500mAh notorious problem), of course Ni-MH 2500mAh or 2700mAh provide more energy than 2000mAh. If not, the manufacturer could face law because give misleading information. What possibly happen is normal NI-MH 2500mAh or 2700mAh have higher self discharging than Recyko+ or eneloop NI-MH type battery that make normal Ni-MH looks have lower capacity.

Regards,
Arto,

What are you talking about?

If the battery have no problem (like Sanyo Ni-MH 2500mAh notorious problem), of course Ni-MH 2500mAh or 2700mAh provide more energy than 2000mAh. If not, the manufacturer could face law because give misleading information. What possibly happen is normal NI-MH 2500mAh or 2700mAh have higher self discharging than Recyko+ or eneloop NI-MH type battery that make normal Ni-MH looks have lower capacity.

Regards,
Arto,

The stated capacity on the product label is subject to various measuring conditions ( the manufacturer will not disclose them to you ). Artosoft, Do you know how they measure the capacity?

Under difference situations, high discahrge or continuous charging , can mean alot of difference to re-chargeable cells. for example, a 2000mAh cell can fire more flash pulses than 2500mAh cells... If the 2000mAh cells were designed for high discharge applications while the 2500mAh cells are not ment for high discharge. That is what I mean, seeing is believing.

Ofcourse I understand that 2500mAh is > 2000mAh.

My Sanyo 2700's were also faulty. Been using it for a couple of shoots but it already became faulty that's why I switched to Eneloops!

during wedding shoots, I'll recommend the Quantum Turbo 2X2! Using AA cells to power up the speedlight's LCD only. :thumbsup: ;p :heart:

during wedding shoots, I'll recommend the Quantum Turbo 2X2! Using AA cells to power up the speedlight's LCD only. :thumbsup: ;p :heart:

good recomendation :thumbsup:

The stated capacity on the product label is subject to various measuring conditions ( the manufacturer will not disclose them to you ). Artosoft, Do you know how they measure the capacity?

Under difference situations, high discahrge or continuous charging , can mean alot of difference to re-chargeable cells. for example, a 2000mAh cell can fire more flash pulses than 2500mAh cells... If the 2000mAh cells were designed for high discharge applications while the 2500mAh cells are not ment for high discharge. That is what I mean, seeing is believing.

Ofcourse I understand that 2500mAh is > 2000mAh.
And do you know how they measure the capacity?

Are you sure eneloop or recyko+ is designed for high discharge application? Remember, to maintain their low self discharge, they are hybrid between Ni-MH and alkaline, which is mean their discharge is lower than Ni-MH. Try on flash, some reported flash recycle is not as fast as Ni-MH, faster than Alkaline battery.

Regards,
Arto.

And do you know how they measure the capacity?

Are you sure eneloop or recyko+ is designed for high discharge application? Remember, to maintain their low self discharge, they are hybrid between Ni-MH and alkaline, which is mean their discharge is lower than Ni-MH. Try on flash, some reported flash recycle is not as fast as Ni-MH, faster than Alkaline battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Capacity label on a cell indicates the discharge capacity of the cells under a 0.1C discharge rate, room temperature ( 28deg C ). It has nothing to do with weather the cell is capable of withstanding high discharge or not.

The idea that I am trying to put across is ....

Do not only judge the performance of a cell by the mAh values alone. Yes, the higher mAh value indicates that the cells are of higher capacity (provided you measure in XXYY synario ). Some cells may have lower capacity label, but they are able to out peform those cells that is labelled with higher mAh under high discharge situation, simply because they are purely designed and manufactured for high discharge application.

mAh means mili Ampere per hour. So a 2700mAh battery can supply 2700mAh for one hour. However a 2050mAh battery like a Reycko+ could last longer than 2700mAh on low current and as the larger 2700mAh batteries has a higher discharge rate. Of course on high current usage with continuous usage the 2700mAh will win hands down.

So a 2700mAh battery can supply 2700mA for one hour. :)

Typo, I know. But better to clarify. :)

Yes that correct 2700mAh battery can supply 2700mAh of current for 1 hour. However it unlikely that the camera will consume that much current even at full load. A typical fan consumes 50watts at 230V and current would be 0.217A.

P=VI

I=P/V

Do not only judge the performance of a cell by the mAh values alone. Yes, the higher mAh value indicates that the cells are of higher capacity (provided you measure in XXYY synario ). Some cells may have lower capacity label, but they are able to out peform those cells that is labelled with higher mAh under high discharge situation, simply because they are purely designed and manufactured for high discharge application.
So you sure Eneloop and Recyko+ is designed and manufactured for high discharge application?

Regards,
Arto.

So you sure Eneloop and Recyko+ is designed and manufactured for high discharge application?

Regards,
Arto.

I did not mention that the Eneloop & Recyko cells are ment for high discharge. I only quoted the Varta 2000mAh cells are design for high discharge.

I just bought some Powerex rechargable batteries and I notice something. The Powerex batteries seem to charge up with less heat than my Recyko+ rechargable.

I just bought some Powerex rechargable batteries and I notice something. The Powerex batteries seem to charge up with less heat than my Recyko+ rechargable.

I see you found one of the qualities for this battery now... I had been using Sanyo's previously, but they operate and charge at pretty high temps... so I was worried and after using PowerEx, I gave up on Sanyo's ;)

I did not mention that the Eneloop & Recyko cells are ment for high discharge. I only quoted the Varta 2000mAh cells are design for high discharge.
Sorry, my mistaken you quote GP 2000mAh Recyko+.

So, it is Varta. If it is Ni-MH battery, 2700mAh Ni-MH battery should give you more power than 2000mAh Ni-MH battery as they are from the same type of battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Sorry, my mistaken you quote GP 2000mAh Recyko+.

So, it is Varta. If it is Ni-MH battery, 2700mAh Ni-MH battery should give you more power than 2000mAh Ni-MH battery as they are from the same type of battery.

Regards,
Arto.

This is exactly what I wanted to put my point across. The label mark as 2700mAh is based on a 0.1C discharge rate. When you use batteries on flash applications, the drain rate is much higher than that ( depending on type of flash and depth of firing ). Some battery voltage recovers very fast, while some battery recovers very very slowly. Some battery recover fast, but will reduce the rechargeable cycle life.... many many possibilities. NiMH refers only to the chemistry inside the cell. However, for the same chemistry, some cells will have lower internal resistance comparing to others ( becasue of difference thickness of metal ), that will gives you faster recovered voltage , so that you can fire the next flash.

My company is designing rechargeable batteries and chargers. We need to evaluate the batteries in the market so that we know who is supplying what, and where do we stand. From recent report that I received from the lab, this Varta 2Ah cells are performing very well at high discharge ( one of the best performance around ). I find this report to be very interesting because there are lots of consumer that , based on Ah values, will not take this product.

I must make known to all that I do not work for Varta. I only participate in this conversation just to get some feedback and knowledge on users that happen to use this Varta recharageable cell. I am also trying to get hold of some of this cells and play with it, but this week I am very busy it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.