Really Frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using HP and/or Sony DVD -R and nothing spoiled yet :). burning at 2x using external iOmega writer

I had 20 of the same brand as TS used and 10 failed so I dumped the other 10 :D. You're lucky you had burned some successfully but I wouldn't trust that medium for backup.

Been using imation all the while and have 100% success rate. Dont save on the media. its not worth the time you need to spent fumming over it.

i use verbatim and can burn all at 16X
spend little bit more money and save lots of time and frustration

burner is an external lacie drive
optical_d2.jpg

Hate to be a wet blanket guys, but successful burning doesn't mean your data is safe. Despite whatever longevity claims the manufacturers make, the DVD dyes fade over time.

DVD is NOT a safe backup medium. And if it's your ONLY backup... well... hope the data wasn't too precious.

Hate to be a wet blanket guys, but successful burning doesn't mean your data is safe. Despite whatever longevity claims the manufacturers make, the DVD dyes fade over time.

DVD is NOT a safe backup medium. And if it's your ONLY backup... well... hope the data wasn't too precious.
what other methods do you recommend?

Try turning "on" the buffering while burning, and let Mac select the burning speed. I did that and so far no issues. I'm using Imation and Memorex CDs and DVDs.

Hope it helps.

Could be the burner is starting to give. If you do heavy burning, the drives do wear out.

I am using Verbatim media and burning at 16x. No coasters so far. Drive is an internal Sony and also a LG converted for external use.

I have BenQ and Pioneer drives. I use TDK, Imation and Maxell DVDs. I try not to burn at full speed to increase the success rate. For the BenQ drive, I burn at 12x. It can burn at 16x, but why push it? Won't save much time.

As for the Pioneer one, I experienced occasional failures in the past, so I lowered it to 8x, and it has been burning fine ever since.

I get though about 50-100 DVDs in a month sometimes, and the failure rate is very small. The success rate for the TDK DVDs has been 100%. Those are great DVDs. I use them for photos I wish to keep for a very long time.

what other methods do you recommend?
There is no perfect backup method, generally the more money and time you're willing to spend, the safer it gets. i make an extra copy of all my data on a raid5 offline file server, and burn dvd copies of all my data as well.

;( ;(

Imagine 13 out of 18 DVD that I burn are spoilt. Till now I only managed to burn 5 DVD. :angry: :angry: Really very SPTL.

Bottomline never never try to save a few dollars in buying cheapskate DVD

Which brand u used ?

:)

Hmm ....

I'm still using a 1616DLN.

Media:
Mitsubishi DVD-R or Fujifilm DVD-R (TY Dye based media ONLY)

Data - 8x speeds
Video - 4-8x speeds

Burning higher speeds usually results in failure in future or read issues on various drives.

You mean Taiyo Yuden? Is it available in SLS?

Yes bought another reel from the above mentioned shop. $30 a reel... chamoxa's price abit :rolleyes: ... not sure whether popuplar bookstore outlets still selling.

Yes bought another reel from the above mentioned shop. $30 a reel... chamoxa's price abit :rolleyes: ... not sure whether popuplar bookstore outlets still selling.

MAI TU LIAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eh....your one reel is how many discs inside?

got DL TY anot?

Status
Not open for further replies.