read the rules when u are shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha reminds me of the time I went to JBP. The lady just shout at anyone who uses flash and didnt do anything. Damm pissed as I was taking long exposure and those fellows with flash over exposed my shots and also scared away the owls. Owls if unspooked, will remain still and you can even use 10s exposure to get a sharp photo.

And there is one super famous Flasher who shoot birds that everyone hates.. She use full powered flashes at 10fps.

yeah ... pity the owl .. me and wife experience the same thing .. my wife .. she so in love with owl ... but during our trip to the bird park .... ppl keep flashing at all the owl .. we were so mad as nobody there to remind them ... haizzzz

While I certainly stand by the rule of no flash photography of the owl enclosure but I got the feeling the owls are accustomed to it already. Uncaged display birds are more likely to get stressed because they are in close contact with human thus are more sensitive.

Some animals like rhino are easily spooked because of their poor eyesight, so any shadow will cause panic and serious injury to caretaker regardless of age. I watch documentary showing owl living in the border of towns and cities are adapting to lights and hunt near trash bin where rodents are easy meal.

But that doesn't mean we take things for granted.

One observation which I find it curious. While using my 5D MK-II in the night safari (no flash thru out), each time I press half-press the focus button, the birds, bats especially and the wild cat will stare at me. While there is not focus assist build in on 5D, is there any invisible beam emitted?

I was in the owl enclosure, When I was taking picture, the owls actually hop over to me instead of the other people. :think:

Haha reminds me of the time I went to JBP. The lady just shout at anyone who uses flash and didnt do anything. Damm pissed as I was taking long exposure and those fellows with flash over exposed my shots and also scared away the owls. Owls if unspooked, will remain still and you can even use 10s exposure to get a sharp photo.

And there is one super famous Flasher who shoot birds that everyone hates.. She use full powered flashes at 10fps.

Wah Piang!

She take Profoto portable studio flash to shoot birds? :sweat:

Sadly, most Singaporeans only 'respect' two things as a deterrent - public embarrassment (like corrective work order) and fines, or both.

Last edited:
inconsiderate photographers who use flash on animals especially piss me off. It's plain inconsiderate, and because of people like these, nature is no longer untouched.. I think i'm gonna scream at anyone who uses flash on wild/captive animals when i'm around.. these people lack manners and ethics

it's all comes down to a matter of respect. or lack of it.

respect for nature and not doing stupid things to petrify wildlife
respect for performers who risk their lives to bring you some joy and entertainment...

haix :dunno:

the worst part is... huhhh?!! what's the point in using flash in 99.9% of those situations????

I have a question. Will the focus assist light of a DSLR be considered as flash in a no-flash situation ?

I have a question. Will the focus assist light of a DSLR be considered as flash in a no-flash situation ?
Think of it this way.....you are juggling flames and then notice red laser beams suddenly aimed at you from camera people.

singaporeans are good at shooting bird and flashing at them

The mgmt cannot be harsh anyway. JBP is a tourist attraction not a nature reserve. Putting animals in zoo is already a violation of ethics. So the staff can only give firm advise.

The 10fps is the focus assist lah. Its BP's fault, they did not train the owl to be flash adaptive. :bsmilie: In fact zoo must only allow trained animals to be in the open, that why the animal will not be stressed.

I always tell people don't need to bring any camera to night safari. Nothing will come out. It is so dark that it gets eeriee when u take the trail walk.

What sense does the big sign make when the people with their little PnS cams don't even know how to switch it off? "Off the flash? Can? Don't know, I only press here..." :sweat:

One observation which I find it curious. While using my 5D MK-II in the night safari (no flash thru out), each time I press half-press the focus button, the birds, bats especially and the wild cat will stare at me. While there is not focus assist build in on 5D, is there any invisible beam emitted?

That is interesting. Could it be the noise from the lens? See these articles:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/eosfaq24/4lenses.html#q8

http://donb.photo.net/photo_reviews/600.html (scroll down to Focus Module)

sometime it is the design of some of the cameras. in low light, they use pop flash to do assist in focusing for low end model when used with non-pro lens (ie aperture f2.8 or larger), dslr & p&s alike.

Thanks for dropping in those links. :)

Oh yes, I high frequency of the USM does make more sense. I was using EF 24-105mm IS. Since bats can't see but stopped eating each time I half pressed. But coincide with the writer's observation, the animals are curious rather than avoid.
But the reservoir monkey don't seemed to mind, thinking back all these months, noiser environment is less affected. Latest shot at mere 1.5m of 2 adult and 3 baby monkeys on the track don't seemed to affect them. They don't look at me.

That is interesting. Could it be the noise from the lens? See these articles:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/eosfaq24/4lenses.html#q8

http://donb.photo.net/photo_reviews/600.html (scroll down to Focus Module)

People people. There is a lot of public education and awareness to be done as signs won't work alone. Putting signs like "no flash photography" won't work because there will be people (all colors) to missed the sign and they don't understand why.

At the night safari, you will see people flashg away but when they were being told not to use flash, many cannot understand why? But all complied once the ranger explain to them the reason. So it is important to tell people that nocturnal eyes can get extremely stress out. At least the otters don't seemed to mind.

When telling people not to use flash, remember to speak in dual language, clear and slowly. Don't speak as it you are John Wayne. They are many people out there who do not know the word "flash photography".

your message is probably the only one that tried to look from both side of the fence. No flash photography is around everywhere, but again, how many management bother to explain why. To most people whom see the sign , it is just a rule that they could probably try to bend.

When i first see the sign many years ago, i also do not quite understand.

It is not easy for the general public to comprehend the effects of flash on painting, animals and stuff like that

U guys are damn right, the mgmt level should impose a hard fine like 300 per customer that uses their flash (like cigarette butt littering). Giving them a piece of your mind doesn't solve the issue and might lead to unhappiness but if u talk nicely, there will be guai LAN people who will ask why can't they use flash when some others are doing that.

With continuous and creative method to bring information to people, I am sure things will work out eventually. Take for instance mobile phone ringing in cinema which used to be very poliferating initially. But as more cartoon style advertisments comes along and people opened to reminders, things has improved a lot.

I hardly hear phones ring and people talking loudly in cinema anymore; although once a while but significantly less.

I cannot comment about open events but I do believe that the person won't bother to take flash pictures again in the night safari and owl enclosure in their return visit because nothing will come out.

As many have already mentioned, it's everywhere and it seems as if the park organisers have somewhat "given up" trying to stop them. Some of my experiences:

1. Bird Park, Owl exhibit. Same as TS, ppl shooting flashes left and right, be it using DSLR or PnS. Very the beh tahan....
2. Underwater World, Seahorse exhibit. The exhibit was already nicely lit allowing for pretty good shots, yet all those tourists happily flash away. Fed up, I told them and pointed the "No Flash" signage to them. They stared at me as if I was the alien there....
3. Night Safari tram ride, "Chawang" the elephant exhibit. The commentator repeatedly told ppl not to use flash yet they continued to do so. Silly, cos Chawang the elephant is known by the zoo-staff as easily agitated. There was an incident where he got irritated by flash photography and charged at the tram but luckily no injury or damage was done. Also, I believe a few mousedeer have keeled over and died from flash photography in the past.

Some ppl think right to own a camera = right to shoot any which way they want....

i think that not following the rules is plain wrong. and a fine should be imposed. Infact i find it a good opportunity to test the high iso setting on ur camera at these places. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.