Re: Stuck fliter

Josielyh

Aug 17, 2016
Sengkang
Hi

can I check if the filter is stuck to my Nikon lens, how do I remove them?

Hi

can I check if the filter is stuck to my Nikon lens, how do I remove them?

Have you tried with rubber band? Sometimes it does help to loosen abit.

Try removign while wearing latex gloves. Those help too

Shierwin's link shows the best simple solution.

The 2 things you need - better grip and EVEN pressure.
Rubber bands and latex improve grip. But, with a badly stuck filter, if you grip with your fingers, you apply a few points of higher pressure that might deform the filter and make it even harder to remove.

The basic requirement is to have a good grip using friction.

An example:

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-remove-a-stuck-lens-filter/

In addition, please hold the lens by the front ring area when turning. This is especially important for lenses with micro motor focusing system. Otherwise you might damage the focusing gear or the motor.
USM lenses (or HSM, SVM..) and other forms with non-rotating front ring should be fine.

Use those rubberized can opener.

Press it against a flat surface or carpet so that the applied pressure is even, then turn.

I experience before using this. the lesson learnt was to use a brass filter.
$m1Z_xrLIpTWpCE7gmEtjfJQ.jpg

Try removing it in a very cold room. :cool:

This happens to me surprisingly often - I generally manage it with latex gloves, mind you I always have to take break and go back to it.
Best of luck! :)

Just to share my method. Once I was on a holiday trip and the filter got stuck, real bad. The filter will not come off no matter how hard I tried, using bare hands, gloves, rubber mats,cloth etc. Was exhausted after trying for nearly half an hour and felt like crying :)) After some thinking, about the power of levers, I tried the following steps. The stuck filter came off in an instant!

Mount the lens on the camera (this ensure the lens cannot move)
Sit down on a chair. Hold the camera between the legs, lens pointing up.
Grip the camera firmly between the thighs so the camera has little or no room to move.
Use the palm of the right hand face down to cover the filter, feel and squeeze the rim of the filter.
Adjust the contact between the filter and palm till you fell you have a good grip all round and the pressure is spread evenly.
Place the left hand palm down over the right hand to grip it so as to provide additional leverage
Feel where the the pressure is applied on the filter to ensure its evenly spread out
Grip the filter tight, PRESS DOWN ON IT, and turn both hands in an anti clockwise direction with a twisting motion.Try with arms/elbows close to the body, like they are locked in, so that the body twist gives added strength to the turn.
The pivot point is where the lens is locked into the camera, do it like you are trying to turn the lens in the locking direction using the grip on the filter.

The position, immobility, pressure and action somehow act like a lever to give maximum torque or force to twist the filter. Viola,the filter turned and can be removed. A hopeless situation was saved...... Can try to see if this work for you. Cheers!

Last edited:
Happened a couple of times on cheaper filters (stopped using it for years), stucked... tried all methods... till I either goto SVC center which they removed it easily, OR suddenly comes off outdoors