re-foaming speakers?.... please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovedaddy

Feb 22, 2002
Sengkang
Visit site
have a pair of good-old Mission speakers. foam is gone in one and am hoping to re-foam them... either DIY or have them done properly if it does not cost too much (really low on budget lah).

have found re-foam kits from that US that costs about S$60 including shipping. possible to find such repair kits in SG?

don't mind giving DIY a go.... but wanted to find out if anyone has experience in doing such repair. difficult? sound remains good after repair? all comments and advise appreciated. thanks :)

You can buy the generic foam surrounds from Sim Lim Tower. They cost less than S$10 dollars each if I remember right, depending on the size. I used the commonly found white glue. Couldn't tell the difference from new after the repair. If you don't want to DIY, I think there's also a shop there that can do the repair for you.

thanks very much to linse :) both speakers refoamed and working like new now. total cost < $18. foam at $8 a piece and glue was $2 for those who are interested. could have been cheaper though if cone was standard sized since regular-sized foam costs about $5-6 only. place to get them : Sim Lim Tower, 3rd floor.

I guess you are talking about the speaker cone and cone ring? :think:

I had a 8 years old floorstanding JBL...also broken...so I "keh kiang"...change it to rubber ring instead...thinking it will be more solid and can blast louder....at the end it was indeed more boom....but other than boom...the details gone...it sounds sucks....so now it's in my store room and counting for his days :sweatsm:

jovedaddy said:
have a pair of good-old Mission speakers. foam is gone in one and am hoping to re-foam them... either DIY or have them done properly if it does not cost too much (really low on budget lah).

have found re-foam kits from that US that costs about S$60 including shipping. possible to find such repair kits in SG?

don't mind giving DIY a go.... but wanted to find out if anyone has experience in doing such repair. difficult? sound remains good after repair? all comments and advise appreciated. thanks :)

Dude! ...

Bring down to Burlington Square.. Martin Electronics. Best in the house! The "resurrected" my 15" woofer which i kapoed from secondary school and the monster now breathes again for my HT usage :devil:

As to whether you want to change to rubber surround, like Big Kahuna said.. it'll ruin the sound quality of your speakers.

Foams tend to deteoriate in our climate. So be warned. Check them once in a while so that fungus / mould does not grow on them. Its a no choice issue. But foam surround speakers sound good. Trust me. I'm using 2 pairs of Missions. They're rubber surrounds thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.