.RAW vs .JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
More leeway for adjustment... try it out.

Shoot 2 pics of a certain scene (let's say in poor light), 1 in RAW and 1 in JPG. See which you can bring up to the correct level. ;)

it is a grave mistake to think that RAW is the magic-bullet answer for fixing poor exposure. :nono:

it is a grave mistake to think that RAW is the magic-bullet answer for fixing poor exposure. :nono:

Not a magic way... but definitely better than JPEG. ;) at least can help save 1 - 2 stops.

Hey guys, thx for all the advices :)

Just to raise one pt that we must not forget; Raw files are bigger than JPG files. So for those who hav limited capacity in term of memory space, shoot Raw selectively or u wld face a memory space crisis

;)

Hey guys, thx for all the advices :)

Just to raise one pt that we must not forget; Raw files are bigger than JPG files. So for those who hav limited capacity in term of memory space, shoot Raw selectively or u wld face a memory space crisis

;)

buy more 500GB HDD ;p

I shoot in RAW exclusively since moving to Nikon.
Is it because photography is your bread and butter (no offence intended) ... just curious.

Is it because photography is your bread and butter (no offence intended) ... just curious.

I'm a hobbyist. And I shoot ONLY raw now too... ;)

I shoot only raw this days too. Partially due to the fact that exposure/white balance is never 100% spot on. Raw gives me the flexibility to correct mistakes camera/I did. It also lets me fine tune with minimum lost of quality.

I shoot only raw this days too. Partially due to the fact that exposure/white balance is never 100% spot on. Raw gives me the flexibility to correct mistakes camera/I did. It also lets me fine tune with minimum lost of quality.

Can share shrae your expertise in correcting exposures/white balance of the raw images? Sounds very interesting !!! Thanks Bro. :)

I personally shoot raw + lowest jpg (whichever your camera allows, if applicable). This is 'coz I often upload pics to friends and it's a wee bit troublesome to open a raw, process it then downsample just so I can pass it to a friend. Moreover, it's very handy for previewing a raw file unless you're using a program with raw browsing capability.

On the other paw, if you have a raw file handy, you can use it to correct minor exposure and color balance issues. It's no substitute for good technique, but it really helps when you absolutely need that gorgeous pic looking perfect.

Then again, unless you're mad about keeping every single shot you take, raw files may not really take that much space. If I shoot 30 frames out there, I may well toss out 28 of them because they're not worth archiving. Not that they're poorly exposed or blur or anything, but that they take up the space that better shots deserve.

I personally shoot raw + lowest jpg (whichever your camera allows, if applicable). This is 'coz I often upload pics to friends and it's a wee bit troublesome to open a raw, process it then downsample just so I can pass it to a friend. Moreover, it's very handy for previewing a raw file unless you're using a program with raw browsing capability.

On the other paw, if you have a raw file handy, you can use it to correct minor exposure and color balance issues. It's no substitute for good technique, but it really helps when you absolutely need that gorgeous pic looking perfect.

Then again, unless you're mad about keeping every single shot you take, raw files may not really take that much space. If I shoot 30 frames out there, I may well toss out 28 of them because they're not worth archiving. Not that they're poorly exposed or blur or anything, but that they take up the space that better shots deserve.

You dun even need to waste the space on your card to do so. There is a program called : PreviewExtractor. This extracts a jpeg format of your raw shots onto a seperate or the same folder (your choice) This will let you check on the pics before you decide which to work on.

Also Adobe Bridge is another way to look thru all the raw files for conversion and further PP.

currently, i am trying out shooting in RAW and S fine mood. to see if i can more convenience in photos editing. =)

currently, i am trying out shooting in RAW and S fine mood. to see if i can more convenience in photos editing. =)

It may be ok if you're not really picky about the picture quality. But after shooting Raw for a while now... I have not looked back on Jpegs. They just dun have the quality I want.

It may be ok if you're not really picky about the picture quality. But after shooting Raw for a while now... I have not looked back on Jpegs. They just dun have the quality I want.

Raw quality is so much better.. After conversion to JPG, the colors is less vibrant and less rich than raw due to color data bit is different. If i dun need to give JPG to customers, i rather stick to RAW perm. =)

ALWAYS shoot RAW unless:

(a) you have no more CF card space
(b) you have no time to post process your pix
(c) you are a real pro who can get the exposure spot on each time.

This is crap. Most of the time I shoot JPEG. Don't generalise so much.

Not a magic way... but definitely better than JPEG. ;) at least can help save 1 - 2 stops.

If you manage to shoot 1-2 stops off :bigeyes:
I really wonder what you are doing.. I would just re-shoot the picture on the spot :dunno:

If you manage to shoot 1-2 stops off :bigeyes:
I really wonder what you are doing.. I would just re-shoot the picture on the spot :dunno:

Raw is not only good for getting back details lost from over exposure
Its very easy to correct white balance as well
When you shoot landscapes with a bright sky and dark foreground,and if you do not have a GND,1 way is to expose for the foreground and then get back the lost details in the sky in PP
Of course,you can do that in jpeg too
Shoot 2 pics,1 for the sky,1 for the foreground
More troublesome IMHO

Jpeg or raw, manual or P/S/A mode, AF or manual focusing, Nikon or Canon... Well do what you WANT and not what others think how it should be done.

Can share shrae your expertise in correcting exposures/white balance of the raw images? Sounds very interesting !!! Thanks Bro. :)

Hi Antimony60 you can try shooting a pic in raw
you'll see that its actually quite easy to tune the white balance
i used to shoot Jpeg too
But since trying out Raw,i've never looked back;)

Status
Not open for further replies.