RAW pic format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alguru

Mar 18, 2004
Bought a S5000, hope it is as good as the reviews say.

Now, this cam can do RAW shots.

There is some talk about the RAW pic format.
Is it much superior to jpeg? All I know is that the time needed to process RAW is stupefying.

One of the threads had a CSer say that we need not bother ourselves with the diff between jpeg and RAW.

Is there some newbie's guide to RAW picture format?

I always shoot in RAW. One of the reason is that I do not need to worry about white balance (set to auto) and work out the details of the color temperature at home. Thus, no need to use grey card.

Another reason is that you can adjust the exposure to your like without any loss of details. (Provided that the init photo exposure is not too badly taken during the shot).

In short, you have more control in RAW mode over JPG especially when you shoot for a importance event.

chrisleng said:
I always shoot in RAW. One of the reason is that I do not need to worry about white balance (set to auto) and work out the details of the color temperature at home. Thus, no need to use grey card.

Another reason is that you can adjust the exposure to your like without any loss of details. (Provided that the init photo exposure is not too badly taken during the shot).

In short, you have more control in RAW mode over JPG especially when you shoot for a importance event.

Paragraph on White Balance---Can you adjust the temperatures of a jpeg using PS?

alguru said:
Paragraph on White Balance---Can you adjust the temperatures of a jpeg using PS?

When you shoot in JPG, the camera will hardcode the whitebalance setting onto the file. If you make a mistake, there is no way to change the white balance. You could do some PS work to correct the picture but it need a lot of time and usually the result might not be good.

As for RAW, the camera will not hardcode the whitebalance setting, thus you could decide it later.

JPG format
----------
Step 1 : Image + Whitbalance = JPG file (final output)

RAW format
------------
Step 1 : Image = RAW file (temp output)
Step 2 : Post processing at home = RAW + Whitbalance = JPG (final output)

Status
Not open for further replies.