raw editing software

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Hi, another of my question here. I am currently shooting in Jpg. I learn it is best to do it in Raw. As I am still very new into photography and do not want to spend $ on such software yet.

I want to check if anyone has used any free raw editing software before and which is the recommended one? I saw one Photoscope. Not sure if it is good.

Hi, another of my question here. I am currently shooting in Jpg. I learn it is best to do it in Raw. As I am still very new into photography and do not want to spend $ on such software yet.

I want to check if anyone has used any free raw editing software before and which is the recommended one? I saw one Photoscope. Not sure if it is good.

There's Picasa and Gimp

Use the software that comes with your camera.

Did you install the software that came with your camera? Really, you should.

And you should have a better look into the forum. There is a section called Digital Darkroom. All about post processing tools (hardware, software ..)

Oh Picasa can possess Raw? OK I will try out first and also look at the Digital darkroom. Thanks guys

Oh Picasa can possess Raw? OK I will try out first and also look at the Digital darkroom. Thanks guys
I wouldn't want a Picasa possessed image file :sweat:

before you consider do any editing, regardless is jpg or raw, you need a calibrated monitor to begin with.

shooting and processing raw file need lot of resources, like you time, computer software, bigger memory cards, bigger harddisc space etc.

if you only just want a software able to do simple raw file editing and convert raw files, ViewNX2 can do that, it already inside the CD that come with your camera, it is free and nobody process NEF file better than Nikon own software, you can also download it from Nikon website.

I am using the software from my camera, which is pretty good... also Irfanview, a plugin is needed though, but it was free too, and it is pretty easy to get... however there are not much editing for RAW Irfanview could provide you just easy conversion of RAW to tiff or jpg files.

rhino123 said:
I am using the software from my camera, which is pretty good... also Irfanview, a plugin is needed though, but it was free too, and it is pretty easy to get... however there are not much editing for RAW Irfanview could provide you just easy conversion of RAW to tiff or jpg files.

After I was enlightened with Lightroom 3. InfraView is thrown out of the window :p So were my camera's jpeg shooting options.