Random tips for Pentax manual users..

SyncGuy

Sep 14, 2011
Earth
Hmm... Did quite a number of "researching" and experiment and discovered a couple of good tips for some Pentax equipments and useful for some on a budget. Don't bash me coz I believe being a user would require to know his tools better and get its fullest potential..

Here's a couple:

1)Problem:
Using K/M lenses in AV Mode all the way without being limited to wide open aperture only.

Solution:
Do NOT fully mount the lens.. Twist/Mount on the lens till the min. Aperture u need; usually up to f/8 is possible.

How it works:
Leave the setting on AV mode, and stop down to the desired aperture and the DSLR will change shutter speed accordingly as the lens now function like an M42 mount. ;)

Pros:
-If you don't need the EXIF data and don't wish to spend extra money on the "A" series; especially fast lenses.

Cons:
-Same as M42 mounts, viewfinder gets slightly more darker as you stop down. Workaround? Focus wide open, stop down and fire.. Shutter speed will be recorded in EXIF as per M42/K/M series lenses.
-Lenses with tight aperture or focusing rings not ideal. (but you should know by experience and "feel" if the lens is at risk of dismounting if you do this often..)

2) Problem:
-Certain lenses do not have quick-shift feature. I.e. 3 FAs limiteds.

Solution:
-Set AF function to the "AF/AE-L" button, located at right thumb for Kr, instead of half shutter.
-Position right ring finger on lens dismount button.
-Press on lens dismount button and just focus manually!

How it works:
As the lens dismount button is depressed, the screw drive is also disengaged from the lens. You'll be free to MF the lens! Since AF function is no longer on the half shutter button, you can just fire off without fear of "spoiling" the screw drive motor. (Not that it'll be though.. But you'll hear a "whirring" sound.. Haha! Try press the lens dismount button and use R thumb on the now-set-to "AF/AE-L" AF button.)

When AF is needed, just release the lens dismount button and use the now-set-to "AF/AE-L" button to AF..

Pros:
What no quick shift?! All lens have la! In fact, u can still fire off the lens while pressing the lens dismount button.

Cons:
-Scared screw drive motor spoil? Don't worry... It's disengaged from the lens so all you get is the screw drive whirring sound.... ;)
-Need to remember AF function is now set to AF/AE-L button instead of half-shutter.
-Not useful for those who use AE-L button often. Otherwise, button usually rarely used. (for me anyway..)

So ya.. Have fun!

Last edited:
I guess it's better just to buy modern DA lenses (there are plenty good ones) w/ quickshift or A lenses (and some A* if you want the best quality) if you prefer manual, so to save the hassle :)

Yep!! Ultimately best to do as per advised! Support Pentax too! :D

My "tips" are pretty much for noobs who might not be able to afford or want to try out Pentax glasses before investing more... Other than joining the monthly outing (which is a must if you really wanna delve deeper!) :D

Why not just stick to M mode, not Av, and use fully manual? pick a shutter speed, pick an aperture that works, or use the green button (with +/- EV) as needed. I don't see why it is necessary to use Av mode with a manual lens and have to go through that half-twist method...sorry.

Last edited:
Haha... At times, it's faster to shoot in Av mode. ;)

if the lighting condition doesn't change much, you can just stick to the same shutter and aperture setting; no sudden over-exposure happens;

(that is how i use for my full manual film camera, no AV, no green button, just a +,- exposure indicator)