Rain rain (don't) go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintist

Nov 13, 2006
Singapore
www.oddinary.com.sg
An attempt on doing rain dance, sincerely another dream shoot which i thought was really liked it except less the option of trying out jump poses due to the slippery tiles. Nevertheless it was a nice gesture from the dancer to rush down from work and chill herself out.

Just sharing, hope you guys like it~

1 n 2 n 3
3674524673_3510fdea6e.jpg
__
3674524441_c54f32a299.jpg
__
3674524255_a93be3408a.jpg

4 n 5
3674524015_973bfbcd46.jpg
__
3675333788_c90c7e23a5.jpg

Last edited:
6 n 7
3674523619_79af64e65a.jpg
__
3675333492_18f5b41145.jpg

These were done after the rain dance

8 n 9 n 10
3675333326_33fd91757e.jpg
__
3675333272_f1e9484d5b.jpg
__
3674523209_eb779c6c41.jpg

would like some feedback on how to improve capturing or creating the rain

Last edited:
very good stuff again once again, great lighting setup.. almost like a studio, plus a dreamy feel

thanks, i don't think i can find any studio that can shoot with rain though much less afford to pay for one even if can :bsmilie:

to add: the date was put together about a week before coincidentally it rained yesterday and got heavier at the exact time we were starting the shoot. Although it wasn't heavy enough but it was really like a miracle because other days were entirely dry

thanks, i don't think i can find any studio that can shoot with rain though much less afford to pay for one even if can :bsmilie:

to add: the date was put together about a week before coincidentally it rained yesterday and got heavier at the exact time we were starting the shoot. Although it wasn't heavy enough but it was really like a miracle because other days were entirely dry

Yes, thats what I like about outdoor shoots. Though challenging to balance the weather along with the other stuff we photogs had to look out for, like exposure, composition, model rapport etc, but the unpredictability (such a word? lol) of the weather means we cld unexpectedly get some rather different yet pleasing results if we play it correctly.

Kudos once again

Yes, thats what I like about outdoor shoots. Though challenging to balance the weather along with the other stuff we photogs had to look out for, like exposure, composition, model rapport etc, but the unpredictability (such a word? lol) of the weather means we cld unexpectedly get some rather different yet pleasing results if we play it correctly.

Kudos once again

thanks alot, i appreciate that and i agree with you but cannot always give in to weather liao :bsmilie:

really like 4, 6 and 8. the lightings were very good.

Do notlike the 2 with the ladders. too cluttered and messy.

buttie love your 6 and 7, 8 is good too. 9 is alittle too messy. 10 seems the ladder is the subject, 2 seems a potientially good shot, but the lighting like abit harsh on the face.

overall good shoot! especially outdoor portraits are really difficult, not to mention at night ;)

#8 is an absolutely beautiful shot. It captures such grace in the movement and it almost seemed like there's a spotlight on her! street lamp ah??

only can say it is great.....u nvr fail to disappoint me (except the last 2 with the ladders....like what others said too messy oredi) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#7 for me too!

I think this worked because the raindrops (from the umbrella) complemented the pose.

For the other shots, I was hoping there would be splashes of water from the body to convey movement.

Great effort again from you! Keep it up!

Overall i think you did well. I would prefer the flooring to be black... Like #1 when you cropped it out as it brings out the rain well.

You finally did it!

Yay.

If you can find a place with perfect black flooring to get more reflections in together with small puddles would be nice

thanks guys, it was challenging to create the 'step up' effect as I think i didnt have enough water on the floor to splash around and the hose wasn't creating an ideal rain effect too which i couldn't do anything to improve it. Noted on the tiles too, in fact i had very tight limitations for this shoot, even the light which was leaning by the window on the second floor was pretty restricted.

Taken note of the ladder as well, if one is also one too many?:bsmilie: Appreciate more inputs on how to improve the rain :D

You finally did it!

Yay.

If you can find a place with perfect black flooring to get more reflections in together with small puddles would be nice

really wish i can, was shooting at my cousin's otherwise i have one other location in mind along the north east line but i really have to wait for real rain :(

I like gavin's idea.... but your shots are always sooooooo DIFFERENT.... makes it worth the watch :D SUbscribe Subscribe Subscribe! ;)

really wish i can, was shooting at my cousin's otherwise i have one other location in mind along the north east line but i really have to wait for real rain :(

Hmmm you can try using a large black acrylic for base. Not sure if art friend has the big ones but i know where to get them :)

The only problem with acrylic is that the fingerprints stain it easy. Esp on black.

Re: Creating rain - the way i see it only got 2 methods.

1.) Wait for real rain, try shooting in dec? Lol.

2.) Use whatever avail equipment you have like high pressure garden hose - dont really need to create so much rain, just water droplets with correct lighting. Because as long as you have some semblance of the rain that you created and how it is lighted, you can better tweak and replicate more rain in photoshop.

Oh yes and bracketing definately helps. Tripod the shot and burst - try to capture diff splashes. Redo if necessary. You can layer and mask the ones you want later.

Of course lighting must be consistent :)

Last edited:
number 6 is really good. I wonder how it'll turn out if you gave the shutter a longer exposure when she does a pirouette or something, but that's just a thought :)

damn, your works never fail to amaze me!

Status
Not open for further replies.