R and R in Okinawa <Zichar>

Status
Not open for further replies.
[33] The shops which sell katsuo (bonito shavings) usually sell this too - dried sea snake - irabu (&#12452;&#12521;&#12502;&#12540;). Good for soup, from what I understand reading the laminated newspaper clippings at the storefront.

DSC_2271.JPG

[34] Also available in sticks for those who do not prefer the coiled variety? :confused:

DSC_2274.JPG

[35] Fat shisha and little shisha (&#12471;&#12540;&#12469;&#12540;) guarding the potter's entrance. The lions are similar to the chinese ones, one mouth open, and another closed (R and L respectively). It's a symbol of all things Okinawan, native Okinawans would have them outside their houses and they are recognisably on all tourist tchotchke.

DSC_2302.JPG

[36] Peeking from above the tiles, they're everywhere! Then again not surprising since these was taken while traipsing around Tsuboya Pottery Village. Small potters' huts line the road, each selling handmade (well mostly) clayware, bought some pretty unique stuff here as gifts. The different varieties of shisha are also sold here; from small ones with cartoonish features (like the above) and bright colours, to huge ones with ferocious faces frozen in angry roars, presumably to frighten off evil spirits?

DSC_2291.JPG

[37] Feline guardians :)
Took this snapshot at the entrance of the potter's hut. There were actually 4 cats playing out front. Quite cute.

DSC_2282.JPG

hi bro.

wonderful pics. reminded me of my visit in 2006. really a beautiful island.
try to go there next ard october. no typhoon, etc...

i took a speed ferry to zamami island and this island is unbelievable! I snorkeled with puffers and sea snakes just 2-3 metres away from the beach!

Ah yes, I still have the brochure for Zamami island with me :(
That was one of the intended destinations, as well as Aka jima.
Went there for work, sorta, and to fit in with my friend's schedule too, so no real choice

[38] A close-up of the big cat in 35 given a diff treatment

DSC_2307.NEF.jpg

[39] The different flavours of salt to be sprinkled as condiments atop your soft-serve ice-cream. Yes, salt.

DSC_2310.JPG

I hope to visit Okinawa someday.

[40] Wasn't kidding...

DSC_2311.JPG

Haha yes. Most just tasted like, well, salt.
The flavours were very subtle ... those which I can discern was curry, rose, matcha and goma
There were a few more, I remember there was this very fine salt which well taste salty

Haha yes. Most just tasted like, well, salt.
The flavours were very subtle ... those which I can discern was curry, rose, matcha and goma
There were a few more, I remember there was this very fine salt which well taste salty

Cool. I would love to try them.

Not sure if the shop is related to the famous Yukishio Chinsukou (a cookie much like butter shortbread but ... salty?) with similar blue-white branding.
Anyway the soft serve ice cream was only at the front of the store, the rest of it sold salt-themed items. Of note were the bowls and bowls of different salts, from different countries.

[41] Makes me thirsty reminiscing about this

DSC_2312.JPG

[42] The novelty of taste-testing salt ran out real fast for me though

DSC_2315.JPG

[43] A must-have for tacky BBQ joints on Main Street - jets of fire at the entrance

DSC_2316.JPG

These were taken on the bridge where [1] was taken from.
Loved the sky then, can't decide which one I like better.

[44] On the bridge to Kouri-jima

DSC_2431.JPG.JPG

[45]

DSC_2432.JPG

[46]

DSC_2435.JPG

[47]

DSC_2429.JPG

Stopped by at a roadside stall selling, well, what the ocean had to offer that day.

[48] Fresh uni (still swimming in brine and its juices) with shoyu ... pure bliss. Friendly stall-lady says her husband made a dive in the morning when the current was fine and collected these.

DSC_2437.JPG

[49] Platter of tako and umibudo (&#28023;&#12406;&#12393;&#12358;) aka sea grapes. Some sort of seaweed, green caviar? Can be seen sold in many places housed in those plastic 2ft aquariums, water pump and airstone.

DSC_2440.JPG

[50] Slice of tako, ready for a quick shoyu dip

DSC_2441.JPG

[51] These were awesome, huge sazae grilled with butter, ala escargots.

DSC_2442.JPG

[52] Butteryaki?

DSC_2443.JPG

[53] Stopped on the way back to the mainland. Walked down to the beach, well, more like mudflats.

DSC_2453.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.