Questions? RAW & WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
I switch to shoot raw recently as my photo was comment too warm most of the time.

As I have done quite a few raw conversion recently, I found out that most of my photos seem to have a red/warm swift :think: (when shoot with auto WB), after compare between "auto" in PS, as shot and jpg (from jpg+RAW) under different lighting conditions, sometime different by 1000+K. Is my lens (try a few lens but same porblem) or the camera itself got this problem? Or this is common? Or just my 5D only.

Any way to solve this warm WB problem?

Another thing is in RAW setting, what are the differences between "Exposure" and "Brightness" in RAW.

Anyone know where can I find some good read for RAW conversion please?

Another question about WB.
When we see some ambient light which is yellowish or reddish colour, but when doing auto in PS, is will set it as close to white as possible. But which actually is correct? The ambient one or the PS one?

Or should I post this in "digital darkroom" forum instead.

zcf said:
I switch to shoot raw recently as my photo was comment too warm most of the time.

As I have done quite a few raw conversion recently, I found out that most of my photos seem to have a red/warm swift :think: (when shoot with auto WB), after compare between "auto" in PS, as shot and jpg (from jpg+RAW) under different lighting conditions, sometime different by 1000+K. Is my lens (try a few lens but same porblem) or the camera itself got this problem? Or this is common? Or just my 5D only.

Any way to solve this warm WB problem?

Another thing is in RAW setting, what are the differences between "Exposure" and "Brightness" in RAW.

Anyone know where can I find some good read for RAW conversion please?
To be more precise, it seem to happen most in yellowish/reddish light source (e.g. spot light, sunset) condition.

What filter did you fix on? Try without filter?

Nikon NC, Hoya HMC filters, some time no filter.
But seem like my KM5D is particular weak against warm ambient light :think:

the yellowish tone/cast you describe should be there regardless you shoot raw or raw+jpeg or jpeg and not only limited to raw.

yes, I find in fact about 90+% of my shots (event: raw+jpeg) on the warm side.

the best auto balance IMHO is not "auto" in PS, rather most of the time it is the middle of "auto" in PS and AWB from the camera. the best way to solve this is to pick the place where it is white. do not rely on AWB or auto.

regarding exposure or brightness, I typically restrict to exposure. exposure shift the histogram to the right or left depending on your setting. Experts please enlighten me brightness.

indeed I find "auto" in PS colour a bit odd, so I usually shift 100-200K plus the auto to make it look better or redder (to my eye) in such case. Thanks for the tips, but shooting raw is a bit exhausting sometime (in terms of conversion), will the technician in KM manage to adjust it? Or any other setting to help out?

I find that shifting exposore will increase the subject colour range lighting, but brightness will increase the whole photo brightness. Majority of the time I use the exposure to adjust and keep the brightness low, unless I want the whole photo including the background to light up.

Thanks for referring me to this thread. I don't shoot RAW because of the conversion process.

What I do to counter the extra warmth is usually to reduce the Saturation(and or Lightness) of the Reds/Yellows and add a 10-20% cooling filter in PS. Not too sure if this is the best method so I'd welcome any other techniques.

The eye tends to perceive a warmer tone more positively... so if its a bit warm, most people will be quite happy with it... I won't worry too much.. and as forbytes mentioned... if the scene was lit by tungsten bulbs or the sun, then there should be a natural warm cast... otherwise, it will look really weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.