questions abt EV..

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneheart

Oct 27, 2006
West
I read abt Exposure value.. i wonder if the metering for general dslr tells u the EV or only external metering devices do? i'm using a canon 400d, cant find whether it states the EV on the camera when i do a metering.. can anyone enlighten me?

The EV setting is for Exposure Compensation.
How to use this is that, first, you just let the built-in meter tell you what it thinks is the correct exposure. Just go ahead and take a shot. Look at the LCD, if shot comes out too bright (overexpose), adjust the EV setting to a negative value and take another shot to check. If the first shot came out too dark, set the EV setting to positive and try again. How much to set the EV is based on experience with your equipment (learn by trial and error). The EV setting is just a manual tweak of the built-in meter's calculated exposure. Why the EV is needed is that the meter may be fooled sometimes (especially in high contrast scenes) and the exposure calculated is not what you want.
One thing to note is that looking at the LCD to judge exposure may not be 100% accurate.
As with most things in photography, you learn best by trial and error.

Anway, best to let the expert Ken Rockwell explain to you:

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/modern-exposure.htm

The EV setting is for Exposure Compensation.
How to use this is that, first, you just let the built-in meter tell you what it thinks is the correct exposure. Just go ahead and take a shot. Look at the LCD, if shot comes out too bright (overexpose), adjust the EV setting to a negative value and take another shot to check. If the first shot came out too dark, set the EV setting to positive and try again. How much to set the EV is based on experience with your equipment (learn by trial and error). The EV setting is just a manual tweak of the built-in meter's calculated exposure. Why the EV is needed is that the meter may be fooled sometimes (especially in high contrast scenes) and the exposure calculated is not what you want.
One thing to note is that looking at the LCD to judge exposure may not be 100% accurate.
As with most things in photography, you learn best by trial and error.

Anway, best to let the expert Ken Rockwell explain to you:

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/modern-exposure.htm

thanks so much arpinkor.. i read so much today that i feel so saturated

Status
Not open for further replies.