Question on Polarizer usage

tony_teo

Feb 10, 2005
Tanah Merah
Just a quick question. If I were to shoot the horizon at mid-day (i.e. sun at 12 o'clock) , would I get the maximum polarizer effect?

tony_teo said:
Just a quick question. If I were to shoot the horizon at mid-day (i.e. sun at 12 o'clock) , would I get the maximum polarizer effect?

No you won't get the maximum effect since the sun is directly above you. It works best when you are at 90 degrees to the sun.

No you won't get the maximum effect since the sun is directly above you. It works best when you are at 90 degrees to the sun.
not exactly, the sun above is still perpendicularly with the lens axis.

but the light does not flattening the subject/scene, best is to have some side lighting effect.

catchlights said:
not exactly, the sun above is still perpendicularly with the lens axis.

but the light does not flattening the subject/scene, best is to have some side lighting effect.

Oops... I'm wrong there but would it have more effect than at let's say sunrise? Assuming you are shooting at 90degrees in both cases

Last edited:
You want to darken the sky and not the horizon. As such the best time is usually early morning and late afternoon.

I like to use my CPL between 9:30am and 10:30am.

This picture is taken at 9:30am

DSC00001-5.jpg

This is taken at 10:12am.

DSC08616.jpg