Question on MCON-P02 Marco Converter

tane0019

Jul 20, 2015
3rd ROCK from the SUN
Hi,

Newbie & just brought a EM10 with it pencake kit len.
Would like to add the above mentioned for occasional Marco shooting.

Question: If I permanently attached this onto the kit len (ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ), am I able to use the combo like normal zoom len usage OR it can only be use for Marco ??

Thanks in advance.

EH

Last edited:
Hi,
Can use as macro cause it can only focus at a certain near distance. I also had a WCON-P01 and it is not a great diff between the two.

Thanks!

Hi, Newbie & just brought a EM10 with it pencake kit len. Would like to add the above mentioned for occasional Marco shooting. Question: If I permanently attached this onto the kit len (ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ), am I able to use the combo like normal zoom len usage OR it can only be use for Marco ?? Thanks in advance. EH

I think the adapter is in short a focal length reducer ; mainly allowing u to shoot much closer than what the original lens will allow.

I checked , for the 14-42EZ , it allows one to shoot at 18cm instead of 25cm and increases the magnification from 0.22x to 0.38x.

U definitely can shoot the setup like a normal lens with the adapter on but I believe the focal length may be affected. I'm just guessing here about the last part as I have not tried the adapter yet.

I think the adapter is in short a focal length reducer ; mainly allowing u to shoot much closer than what the original lens will allow.

I checked , for the 14-42EZ , it allows one to shoot at 18cm instead of 25cm and increases the magnification from 0.22x to 0.38x.

U definitely can shoot the setup like a normal lens with the adapter on but I believe the focal length may be affected. I'm just guessing here about the last part as I have not tried the adapter yet.

thks. Was think with this adapter on - zoom distance increase ??

Hi,
Can use as macro cause it can only focus at a certain near distance. I also had a WCON-P01 and it is not a great diff between the two.

Thanks!

So, when you put on your WCON-P01 & do the normal zoom shooting (ie not marco), OK ??

Hi,

Question: If I permanently attached this onto the kit len (ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ), am I able to use the combo like normal zoom len usage OR it can only be use for Marco ??

EH

The article attached below indicates that while the adapter reduces the minimal focusing distance, it will, too, reduces the maximum focusing distance of the lens.

http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS Collection/shop/Resources/A383 Close focus (CU).pdf

HI,
I tested with my 14-42 II lens and both WCON-P01 and MCON-P02 focus at 4cm. But the wide angle will have smaller coverage due to wide angle e.g. at 14mm will be around 11mm. If you need to fix it on all the time, then should be looking at the WCON-P01 if you do not mind the wide conversion i.e.. your max will be around 32mm instead of 42mm.
For me it is good enough for the WCON-P01 unless using 45mm 1.8 lens. I also have a Raynox 250 which I use it for my 40-150 but depth of field is worst than the MCON-P01.
So choice is yours either to forgo the focusing distance to have it fitted all along or to attach it when using macro. Maybe, get both like I do.:bsmilie:

HI,
I tested with my 14-42 II lens and both WCON-P01 and MCON-P02 focus at 4cm. But the wide angle will have smaller coverage due to wide angle e.g. at 14mm will be around 11mm. If you need to fix it on all the time, then should be looking at the WCON-P01 if you do not mind the wide conversion i.e.. your max will be around 32mm instead of 42mm.
For me it is good enough for the WCON-P01 unless using 45mm 1.8 lens. I also have a Raynox 250 which I use it for my 40-150 but depth of field is worst than the MCON-P01.
So choice is yours either to forgo the focusing distance to have it fitted all along or to attach it when using macro. Maybe, get both like I do.:bsmilie:

Thks for the advises bro.

You've the 45mm F1.8 len :) Actual I also intend to get a prime len for general purposes shooting.

Was looking at either the 45mm or the 75mm, but the $$ different is almost 3X :eek:

You've any experiences with Sigma 60mm F2.8 prime ? Pricing wise slightly cheaper than Olympus 45mm F1.8

Sorry Bro, do not have the sigma 60mm and 75mm lens to compare. 75mm are good for sports but maybe too long for portraits and streets. I bought combo with 17mm lens. 45mm is lightweight to use. Also 1.8 is better than 2.8 with background defocus.

You've any experiences with Sigma 60mm F2.8 prime ? Pricing wise slightly cheaper than Olympus 45mm F1.8

Sigma 60/2.8 is a small and light lens I very often use, in fact weekly. It is sharper imo than the Olympus macro 60/2.8. Value for money.

Hi just to share with you my photo Shooting using EM5 mark II 45mm f1.8 + len converter MCON P02. Btw you need to remove the len converter for normal shoot.

19631450648_0e9018486a.jpg

19631453398_5575fc7100_z.jpg

Sigma 60/2.8 is a small and light lens I very often use, in fact weekly. It is sharper imo than the Olympus macro 60/2.8. Value for money.

Hi just to share with you my photo Shooting using EM5 mark II 45mm f1.8 + len converter MCON P02. Btw you need to remove the len converter for normal shoot.

Nice :)

Now thinking which len(es) to get next :confused: ........................

Both able to make use of the MCON-P02 (which I just purchase :embrass:).

My first trial with the MCON-P02 with the pencake kit len. Having very hard time doing auto-focusing. So many un focus shots :confused:

P7240085_zpsa03regpu.jpg

P72500842_zps0me6jnop.jpg

P7250100_zpswy0d8dbo.jpg

P7250098_zps0gzs2qbb.jpg

Last edited:
My first trial with the MCON-P02 with the pencake kit len. Having very hard time doing auto-focusing. So many un focus shots :confused:

Did u try to use the built in touch-screen to choose focal points ? It does make things easier, that said - don forget u r placing an extra piece of glass onto your lens so performance might be slightly impacted too.

Had since then got a little bit over board & purchase a few more accessories just to test out Marco shooting.
A 37mm Close-up +5 Lens (NL5) (B+W) AND A DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens (Raynox).

Find that using either one (ie either MCON-P02 or NL5 or Raynox 2.5X) can't really get very close focus distance.
But by combing 2 of them (ie NL5+P02 or NL5+Raynox) can really bring the tip as close as a few cm away from the subject.
Of course with the extra weight, no way to auto-focus. Have to manual-focus along with adjusting the focus distance at the same time to get the focus lock on.

Below are the two examples of my trial shots with NL5+P02.
$P8180035ss_zpszsdbryak.jpg
$P8180033SS_zpsd3fmwbov.jpg