Question on image resolving

Status
Not open for further replies.

benruane

Sep 2, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone. I have a real basic question to ask and I've kinda prepared myself for a bit of bashing and (ahem), shall we say, polite referals to Mr Google. But here goes. Can someone either give a concise answer themselves or point me in the right direction here.

I'd be interested to know what's the actual basis or reasoning behind a statement like this....

"Canon 550D has 18mp while Canon 50d has xx mp but the image resolved on the 50d will always beat that of the higher megapixel 550d"

(NB: can substitute 500D for 550D or 40D for 50D. The point was more about xxxD v's xxD series)

It's not a direct quote but I read something along these lines on a post here the other day. Basically my question is what makes the xxD-series images that much clearer/sharper/richer/nicer than that of a higher-megapixel xxxD-series camera. I suppose the same applies for other brands' line-ups too. I don't think it's a megapixel question; maybe more of a processor question? And I assume that we'd have to be talking about a comparison with equivalent lenses used.

Anyway, this is just an intellectual curiosity for me.

Thanks if anyone cares to share :)

Cheers,
Ben

I don't think it's a megapixel question; maybe more of a processor question?

Canon uses the latest processors across different lines whenever they release a new model. I would think pixel density/sensor size are more relevant factors. But since xxD and xxxD all use 1.6x crop sensors, it would be number of pixels or perhaps intentional crippling of the lower models that makes the difference.

Last edited:
Simplified answer: it's the quality of the sensor, processors and optimization of parameters rather than sheer MP count and latest processors that matter.

Regardless of what 'magik' processors are used, one also has to understand the characteristics of a set-up to get optimal results.

Regardless of what 'magik' processors are used, one also has to understand the characteristics of a set-up to get optimal results.

Exactly. And once you understand the noise reduction algorithms used, you may be less impressed by those "big" numbers on a small sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.